Issue with Weather Location

hmfoster

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Non Rooted only stock Thunderbolt....Ever since the last ota update (the one after the GB update) my weather on the home screen shows a different town ( like 180 miles away). If I try to add my town it does not show on the list of available towns. If I open Maps it starts in my location, goes to the other city for a few moments then returns to the correct location. Tried Beweather and it works correctly. Any ideas ??
Thanks

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I use fancy Widgets. Never wrong. The skin choices for clock and weather designs are really cool

And the Thunder rolls!

hmfoster

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Downloaded fancy widgets but can't figure how to get it to open that shows the clock and weather on the home screen. Any ideas ?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I bought BeWeather and its amazing. Clock and weather widget looks close to Sense.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

swieder

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Reporting the wrong location in a weather app is a common and well know problem with Android phone. Some locations work perfectly. In my home the Weather apps report my location 120 miles away from actual. In my case I am using Verizon's Network Extender which screws up the location algorithm.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Non Rooted only stock Thunderbolt....Ever since the last ota update (the one after the GB update) my weather on the home screen shows a different town ( like 180 miles away). If I try to add my town it does not show on the list of available towns. If I open Maps it starts in my location, goes to the other city for a few moments then returns to the correct location. Tried Beweather and it works correctly. Any ideas ??
Thanks
I remember this happening to me even prior to GB. Including how Google Maps behaved as far as opening in my location, going to another city, then quickly moving back to my location. I think it was my last Google Maps update that fixed it. I have version 5.11.0 now. What version to you have?

Also, for weather, you might to make sure you have no other cities configured. Just let it use "my location". Occasionally, when the weather station cannot be reached, or is temporarily down (it happens) you might see a foreign city. But not routinely. Your profile says Ruidoso NM, I think that should be listed. I believe the Sense weather widget uses the Accuweather service. Accuweather certainly lists Ruidoso. I dunno...

If it matters, I keep all my location services enabled (i.e. GPS, Google, VZW) all the time.

-Frank

Last edited:

rbbj328icoupe

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Reporting the wrong location in a weather app is a common and well know problem with Android phone. Some locations work perfectly. In my home the Weather apps report my location 120 miles away from actual. In my case I am using Verizon's Network Extender which screws up the location algorithm.

I get the same thing when I'm on my network extender too. thought it was the phone.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I use a Network Extender too and that sometimes happens to me. But in my case it is still a close by station.

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

DD917

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same issues. It is reporting my location as 5 and at other times 4. Not even an actual town.

hmfoster

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
My Maps ver. is the 5.11.0. Strange though I down loaded beweather and it showed the correct location, so I did the upgrade to the beweather pro and it did the same problem that the regular weather widget did. so I deleated it and down loaded the free beweather and now it is doing the same issue. Oh well hopefully HTC will come out with a fix soon

hmfoster

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I talked to Verizon and they recommended that we all call HTC who actually answers the phone without having to press 10 buttons to get to talk to someone at 866-963-0953 and ask that they to fix the issue. The more that they are aware of the issue the sooner ( hopefully ) we will get a fix.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I talked to Verizon and they recommended that we all call HTC who actually answers the phone without having to press 10 buttons to get to talk to someone at 866-963-0953 and ask that they to fix the issue. The more that they are aware of the issue the sooner ( hopefully ) we will get a fix.
I hope it works. This "issue" is at least as old as the ThunderBolt. The MR1 OTA update pdf claimed to fix it ("*Accurate location is displayed when accessing the Weather Widget"). This is not new to HTC.

-Frank

Attachment is the MR1 OTA PDF

Last edited:

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Downloaded fancy widgets but can't figure how to get it to open that shows the clock and weather on the home screen. Any ideas ?

You have to make sure the screen is cleared of the HTC widget on home screen. Go to the widget and click on it. A selection of them will appear. Make your choice. Click on it. Its easy and once you start using it you will like it. So many different skins to choose from. I change it out a lot.

And the Thunder rolls!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez