Just because

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
The Thunderbolt has been around for awhile doesn't mean it is still not a good phone to upgrade to. I am defensing this phone and the person who still wants it and considers it.
Yes there are new devices being released but if their budget doesn't allow them to get the newer device don't disrespect them if they comment getting the Thunderbolt.
It is still a decent phone with some awesome kick butt benefits and features.
Just because it has been out 8 months or so doesn't mean its time to put it out to pasture. That's the real problem with people today. Can't value what you have. Always trying to out do everyone. This phone rocks it and does everything well.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Reactions: mrjam3s

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
The Thunderbolt has been around for awhile doesn't mean it is still not a good phone to upgrade to. I am defensing this phone and the person who still wants it and considers it.
Yes there are new devices being released but if their budget doesn't allow them to get the newer device don't disrespect them if they comment getting the Thunderbolt.
It is still a decent phone with some awesome kick butt benefits and features.
Just because it has been out 8 months or so doesn't mean its time to put it out to pasture. That's the real problem with people today. Can't value what you have. Always trying to out do everyone. This phone rocks it and does everything well.

+1

I was/am getting tired of the naysayers ragging on the phone but not doing anything to figure out how to make it better. If they want a phone that just works get and iPhone. The TBolt worked for me out of the box without issues. When I upgrade it isn't going to be because i dislike the TBolt, it will because there is some else I WANT...and when I get that phone....in 8 months people will be complaining about that one also.

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I can't help but feel this is coming from my comment earlier. Let me clarify that I completely agree with your sentiments. If I seemed to be thinking negatively of his purchase or budget allow me to clarify and apologize as that was not my intention. All I meant was to show him another option he might not know was available and given that amazon can usually give no tax and has the newest phone on sale for 100 less than normal I thought it would be a great idea to just look at it. I mean at Verizon with tax he would spend 162.37 in Texas with our tax rates so if he can spend that than why not look at 199.99 for the newest phone? Does that mean the thunderbolt sucks because it is not the newest, definitely not! I just like to be practical and get all I can from my money so a few dollars more for the newest seems like an option but is definitely not the right one for many. I am sorry again for sounding rude or derogatory about the phone and his budget I just wanted to offer another option and that is all.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I can't help but feel this is coming from my comment earlier. Let me clarify that I completely agree with your sentiments. If I seemed to be thinking negatively of his purchase or budget allow me to clarify and apologize as that was not my intention. All I meant was to show him another option he might not know was available and given that amazon can usually give no tax and has the newest phone on sale for 100 less than normal I thought it would be a great idea to just look at it. I mean at Verizon with tax he would spend 162.37 in Texas with our tax rates so if he can spend that than why not look at 199.99 for the newest phone? Does that mean the thunderbolt sucks because it is not the newest, definitely not! I just like to be practical and get all I can from my money so a few dollars more for the newest seems like an option but is definitely not the right one for many. I am sorry again for sounding rude or derogatory about the phone and his budget I just wanted to offer another option and that is all.
This wasn't directed at you! So many people are trashing this phone. I wrote the post because it is really tiring. Didn't direct it at you. So please don't think that.

Reactions: 757Dave

steve_ma

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Also agree. I just really dig this phone. I know newer and better may be out there but I've had this for about 7 months and don't feel like I'm bumping my head against its limits yet. If I had battery / lock-up / reboot issues, I'd probably feel different but as of today, this phone surpassed my expectations. But I came from a bb curve and maybe my expectations are low ;-)

Sent from my ThunderBolt using TapaTalk

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah for one reason or another a lot of people were able to change phones form the thunderbolt or have an upgrade available unlike most other phones so I think it is getting the shaft semi-early due to people getting exchanges and what not

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for being positive and appreciating the bolt. I upgraded in August and there were some kinks but was patient and all is fine. It is the best phone.

poodlebone

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to these forums and I just got a Thunderbolt. I have never had a smartphone before so I have nothing to compare it to. I got it because I was due for an upgrade and it was affordable, my boss has one and I read a lot of favorable things about it. I was a little amazed when I was in the Verizon store and saw so many other phones. The only cell phone talk I ever really noticed was about iPhones. It seems like everyone knows when a new model is coming out and even if you have older models you can still find tons of stuff for them. The Verizon store had nothing for the Thunderbolt, but then again it didn't have accessories for a lot of other phones. It did have racks & racks of stuff for iPhones!

So, I am really happy so far with my phone. It is a huge step up from my previous basic keyboard phone. I'm not the kind of person who upgrades just because something new & exciting is out. I am on a budget so I'm pretty sure I'll be using this phone for the next two years. And Verizon even threw in an extended battery for free, which wasn't mentioned on the web site and the guy I spoke with over the phone never mentioned it either.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Glad you like it and that's great to get an extended battery free. Not all stores do that. Their choice and that's great service.
Welcome to Android and to the Thunderbolt. Its gr8t

MegaSoundwave76

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Love the Thunderbolt, hate the way the updates were handled on this phone. I think that if you were looking for an upgrade at this time, then go for the Galaxy Nexus, the Razr or the Rezound (if you want the top of the line phone). I'm running Forever Cubed 1.0.9 and it's a great ROM, but if I couldn't have put a ROM on this phone, I probably would have thrown it against a wall because of the Gingerbread fiasco. Don't get me wrong, I think the hardware is pretty darn great, but with all the newer phones that come out, support for this won't last long. Then again, I'm relying on the Devs to support this sucker with custom ROM's that are sick. Can't wait for what ICS can do for the Thunderbolt, but don't expect HTC to slap it on here for us. Donate to your favorite Dev, that's what I say. They are probably working on this as we speak and with all the different radios TBolt has in it, it's going to be a challenge. I still have one upgrade on another line, so I'm thinking about going with the Galaxy Nexus ( I don't really need an SD Card 'cause I stream all my music from the cloud now and I think no removable battery isn't going to be an issue with the GNexus) as a replacement for my TBolt, but who knows, I might spend the money elsewhere and keep rocking the TBolt as long as Team BAMF are still cooking up splendid ROM's for this.

poodlebone

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I actually ordered the phone online, but I did call Verizon first just to ask about something. The guy on the phone told me that they were having a promotion that doubled the 2GB data plan to 4GB but that's it. The extended battery seems like a workhorse but it is pretty bulky. I did put it on but plan on taking it off as soon as I research getting a case for the phone.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I actually ordered the phone online, but I did call Verizon first just to ask about something. The guy on the phone told me that they were having a promotion that doubled the 2GB data plan to 4GB but that's it. The extended battery seems like a workhorse but it is pretty bulky. I did put it on but plan on taking it off as soon as I research getting a case for the phone.

There is a slip on that Verizon has for the extended. It is a maroon color.
I don't have issues with the stock battery. I don't like the bulk of the extended. Wish they had done a better design/fit.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I don’t worry too much anymore when I see people bashing the Thunderbolt. It used to get under my skin a bit and I’d feel the need to defend it. But now I mostly just laugh it off as many don’t understand the phone has matured and grown into its own.

Frankly, If I had to, I'd buy another Thunderbolt in a heartbeat, even at full retail! That's how much I've enjoyed this phone since getting it in April and a testament to the fact there is no other phone out there that has the overall feature set, two of which are SVDO (simultaneous voice and data) and a native kickstand, something that has become hands down a killer requirement for me! Otherwise, I’m content to sit tight enjoying this phone until the Thunderbolt 2 comes out. Muahhhhh…..:p

Reactions: Jude526

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I can find fault with on the Thunderbolt is the fact that it does not have an AMOLED screen, but that is my opinion only. AMOLED in my opinion is the best type of screen, be it on a Samsung or otherwise. I never even once assumed it would have such a screen... it was just the only thing I could think of to perfect the design.

That being said, I can not find anything else to complain about. The battery life is poor, yes, but it was completely expected. I knew what I was signing up for with the battery. Every phone has its bumps... the Thunderbolt is not the only phone to have a botched update or two... in fact, not even close. Even the super-stable iPhone has had a few bugs with iOS 5.

The only thing I have need to complete my Thunderbolt is the Electra case... love the look and hearing nothing but great things about it, however even us Verizon people run on short budgets around the holidays! Lol.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
in fact, not even close. Even the super-stable iPhone has had a few bugs with iOS 5.

And the iPhone 4 before the 4s had the Antenna issue. There is no such thing as a perfect phone....with the exception of the rotary dial versus the push button.....but I bet there would be a debate about that 35 years ago also...."sonny, I don't like those new fangled push button phones...I know the rotary dial...why fix something that is perfect....don't get me started on the cordless models...sheesh, like that will catch on"..........LOLOL

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
this just warms my heart. :'( I'm a big kid waiting for Xmas (nov 26th), and you guys are just stoking the fires of anticipation. My wife cannot wait until I get this phone, so I can SHUT THE HECK UP!!! I have a new PS3, (bday present, early october) and IT can't even keep my attention off this phone. I guess when I get it, I'll be hitting these forums even harder....!

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Just get a good screen protector. You want to protect the screen on it. And you will also have the most amazing photos....just in time! I have a friend who is jealous because of how great the photos are.
I have a brother who has the phone and he is glad to see his sister has it. He asks me for help when he needs it since I used to sell wireless. My other brother has the X but knows how great the phone is as well. I love the Fancy Widget that I use instead of the stock HTC weather. There are so many different skins that make the phone unique and I change it up all the time. I like variety. As well as the cool wallpapers you can get. Also music is awesome to listen to. I use the kickstand a lot and the voice and data at the same time..........can't beat it. I would be counting the days too and I am old ! LOL
:D

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Once I get my phones, I will need assistance on how to change my homesreens (unrooted). the links to the xda developers websites have really cool homescreens that I would like to use, but I have no idea how to actually get them onto my phone. I would like to get a Chicago Bears or Chicago bulls themed home screen, but I haven't found anyone who has created those yet.

OH YEAH.....VZW has officially annouced 4G LTE in KC!! my Tbolt is gonna kick serious butt!!!

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Once I get my phones, I will need assistance on how to change my homesreens (unrooted). the links to the xda developers websites have really cool homescreens that I would like to use, but I have no idea how to actually get them onto my phone. I would like to get a Chicago Bears or Chicago bulls themed home screen, but I haven't found anyone who has created those yet. I'm gonna take a pic of my not so new truck and use it as my profile pic....;)

OH YEAH.....VZW has officially annouced 4G LTE in KC!! my Tbolt is gonna kick serious butt!!!