Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Default Re: Keeping Unlimited Data Question

Quote Originally Posted by chuckawd View Post
    You have 2 choices I believe. First, you could add a line of service, buy a cheap dumbphone from craigslist or the like, buy subsidized phone on the new line then activate the dumbphone onto the new line which would deactivate the new phone freeing it up to be activated on one of your lines.

Your second option is to use someone else's upgrade and go through the same process as above except you can just let the other person reactivate their phone back onto their line.

The most important part for you to keep in mind is that you cannot use either of your upgrades or else you'll lose unlimited data on which ever line you use to upgrade.
    Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt
    Thank you. I have an old Verizon flip phone that I had deactivated for the Thunderbolt. It seems only fitting I use it to replace the Thunderbolt.

Randall

Quote Originally Posted by johnriii View Post
    it's great that some of you are able to find a workaround on the unlimited data. sadly, any loophole we find is eventually going to be closed by Verizon, so enjoy while you can. I have two smartphones, and I am the "heavy" data user between the wife and I. I've weened myself down to about 4GB a month, so the shared data plan will only increase my bill by approximately $22.00/month. it's a price I'm willing to pay for superior coverage. the other 3 carriers have way too many issues with dropped calls and coverage, so I'll pay a bit extra for more reliable service. the fact that some verizon reps are "allowing" loopholes is no consolation, because I'm sure Verizon leaders will be clamping down on that sooner than later.
    If you or your wife have an upgrade available you don't have to give up both unlimited plans. You can keep one for your heavy data line and your wife can use the 2gb plan for her line. You can call it a loophole or imply that it is something illegal or unethical with your quote ("allowing") but I think of it as managing your upgrades. The vzw rep actually suggested I do it last year when I bought my wifes iphone 4s. I was told they won't be ending the program because it is shrinking every month through natural attrition. Those that leave vzw, or don't have another non-unlimited data line to trade upgrades will leave the plan when they upgrade.
    So you can choose to not manage your upgrades because an extra $22 per month is not that much to you, but the key phrase I read from your post is "weened myself down".
    What is the point of getting a big screen, super fast 4g smartphone and then having to ration your use? Especially when you don't have to.
    The $22 is not the point. The big screen and 4g speed is begging for data hogging video on the go and I'm going to enjoy it without reservation or concern. Netflix movies, streaming music, you tube videos, or anything else.
    You can pay the extra $22 and ween your use down to 4gb rather than taking the 5minutes it would take to talk to the rep.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    johnriii likes this.

Global Posts
    448 Global Posts
    ROM
    ViperRez

Quote Originally Posted by MittenSportsFan View Post
    The big screen and 4g speed is begging for data hogging video on the go and I'm going to enjoy it without reservation or concern. Netflix movies, streaming music, you tube videos, or anything else.
    Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums
    *Stands up and Applauds*

If I didnt have unlimited, im not sure I'd want 4g to be honest. In the first day of my cycle, I used 6gb's. I bought a game on the ps3 and downloaded it through my phones internet. YES I pay for hotspot, and im going to use it, all that I can! MWAHAHAHAH
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Only the upgrades from lines A and C are affected as you are only upgrading those 2 lines. Whatever line you upgrade has to be eligible for an upgrade. Lines A and C can be used for upgrade after 20 months if purchased directly from Verizon. Upgrade dates from lines B and D are unaffected via the method that you described. You cannot transfer upgrades, only upgrade the individual lines. You could of course move phones between lines at any time, but that doesn't affect upgrade date. Since you are not upgrading lines B and E, whatever date that is shown on myverizon is your upgrade date.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX / Atrix Lapdock
    Alright well I understand that. BUT what happens when the other lines want to upgrade. Line A will still have the dumbphone. Line B will have the iphone 5 from As upgrade. Line D will have the Note2 from line Cs upgrade on the 21st of this month. That leaves an upgrade on line D for the 17th of this month. Then line B and E will have their upgrades next year. What will line B and E do to keep their unlimited data, if there is a way? And what happens to the upgrade on line D? Does it just stay there or?

Quote Originally Posted by cannon View Post
    Alright well I understand that. BUT what happens when the other lines want to upgrade. Line A will still have the dumbphone. Line B will have the iphone 5 from As upgrade. Line D will have the Note2 from line Cs upgrade on the 21st of this month. That leaves an upgrade on line D for the 17th of this month. Then line B and E will have their upgrades next year. What will line B and E do to keep their unlimited data, if there is a way? And what happens to the upgrade on line D? Does it just stay there or?
    Any line that you use to upgrade on subsidized 2 year upgrade will lose unlimited data. Whatever lines you want to keep unlimited data can never be upgraded with subsidized 2 year upgrade pricing. You can switch any phone between any line without affecting unlimited data.

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    You would have to open another dumb phone line to keep unlimited data since you have 2 smartphones and only one dumb phone
    I also have 3 total lines.....2 smart and one dumb, and I would be happy to start another 'dumb' phone line except it would now be $30 per month. The dumb line I have now is at $10 per month! thats a big difference. I really hope they dont pull the plug on doing the dumb phone swap, because I dont have an upgrade on that line till Aug. 2013

ROM
    Stock

OK so I understand the process here... I have an upgrade available on a non unlimited plan attached to an iPhone... so I just use that line to upgrade, activate it on that line, then reactivate the iPhone on that line so I can in turn activate the new phone to my line.

My question is though, do you have to do this process through Verizon? The RAZR maxx HD is available on amazon wireless for $100 less than Verizon is selling it for so I would like to go through them if possible. Does this process still apply or would there be hidden fees that amazon/Verizon uses to prevent it if I choose to go through Amazon?

Edit: Doesn't look like Amazon will work... anyone see any problems with Best Buy?
    Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by BigMace23; 11-09-2012 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GregMar View Post
    I also have 3 total lines.....2 smart and one dumb, and I would be happy to start another 'dumb' phone line except it would now be $30 per month. The dumb line I have now is at $10 per month! thats a big difference. I really hope they dont pull the plug on doing the dumb phone swap, because I dont have an upgrade on that line till Aug. 2013
    if you are on a legacy family plan, a dumb phone is $10 per month. You will have to get a data plan for the smartphone, but once you switch back, the data plan will drop off.

I think Verizon is letting us use this loophole for a reason, they don't want to lose customers.

The Nottinator
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #85  

ROM
    Thundershed v1.6

Quote Originally Posted by BigMace23 View Post
    OK so I understand the process here... I have an upgrade available on a non unlimited plan attached to an iPhone... so I just use that line to upgrade, activate it on that line, then reactivate the iPhone on that line so I can in turn activate the new phone to my line.

My question is though, do you have to do this process through Verizon? The RAZR maxx HD is available on amazon wireless for $100 less than Verizon is selling it for so I would like to go through them if possible. Does this process still apply or would there be hidden fees that amazon/Verizon uses to prevent it if I choose to go through Amazon?

Edit: Doesn't look like Amazon will work... anyone see any problems with Best Buy?
    Why wouldn't the Amazon route work?

Global Posts
    1,288 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

If you do this method then do you still get the year warranty?

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by chuckawd View Post
    Why wouldn't the Amazon route work?

The Amazon way will not work. If you deactivate the phone from the line to move it to another Amazon will slap you with a large fee. You must keep the phone on the line you bought it for... For a certain amount of time.

You can observe a lot by watching- Yogi Berra

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinDroid View Post
    The Amazon way will not work. If you deactivate the phone from the line to move it to another Amazon will slap you with a large fee. You must keep the phone on the line you bought it for... For a certain amount of time.

Yep this is what I found... Amazon will charge you $250 if you alter the line/plan in any way for the first few months... Anyway I'm haven't seen a problem with the best buy route, and I know that best buy will often price match online retailers if you ask.
    I'm still not going to upgrade until mid December just so I can weigh my options (razr hd vs note 2 vs DNA), however I will try and get more information from Best buy and post it here

Sent from my CushZero using Tapatalk 2

I'm still not going to upgrade until mid December just so I can weigh my options (razr hd vs note 2 vs DNA),
    Sent from my CushZero using Tapatalk 2
    Stay in touch, will be interested in your thoughts. I'm doing the same thing - waiting so I can make the exact same comparison. I imagine the DNA will creep ahead, despite it all.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by hannsoft View Post
    Stay in touch, will be interested in your thoughts. I'm doing the same thing - waiting so I can make the exact same comparison. I imagine the DNA will creep ahead, despite it all.

Saw someone post this in response to the DNA announcement, and these are EXACTLY my thoughts:
    "2020mah non removable battery, only 16gb storage with no sd slot, and an impossibly difficult to reach unlock button means I will be getting the Note 2. Really disappointed with HTC. They had a chance to do something really special, and game changing, but failed. This is the reason their company is going down the toilet. Add in the fact that Samsung is actually better at updating their devices now, and im going to call this one a loser.

You do know that the original name for this thing was the Thunderbolt 2 right? That is all you should need to know about this thing.
    "

Damn HTC this IS the thunderbolt 2... you put out a beautiful phone with top specs - awesome processor, camera, top build quallity etc, and then throw in the worst possible battery and no removable storage. How am I supposed to enjoy all of the things this phone can do if
    1) There is no place to store all the great pictures you can take, the music you can listen to that utilizes beats software, and the apps that utilize quad core processors, etc.
    2) You won't be able to do anything on the phone after it dies in 5 hours... large extremely high pixel density screens are not battery friendly!

I really want to love the DNA, but I've learned my lesson from the thunderbolt. I'm sure it will be great (as was the thunderbolt) but what's the point if I can't use it the way I want...
    Now, I will still wait for reviews and some hands on experience in the store, so I'm not completely throwing it out, but as of know it's looking like it's down to the Note 2 vs Razr HD for me.
    What does that do?

ROM
    Stock ICS

Saw someone post this in response to the DNA announcement, and these are EXACTLY my thoughts:
    "2020mah non removable battery, only 16gb storage with no sd slot, and an impossibly difficult to reach unlock button means I will be getting the Note 2. Really disappointed with HTC. They had a chance to do something really special, and game changing, but failed. This is the reason their company is going down the toilet. Add in the fact that Samsung is actually better at updating their devices now, and im going to call this one a loser.

You do know that the original name for this thing was the Thunderbolt 2 right? That is all you should need to know about this thing.
    "

Damn HTC this IS the thunderbolt 2... you put out a beautiful phone with top specs - awesome processor, camera, top build quallity etc, and then throw in the worst possible battery and no removable storage. How am I supposed to enjoy all of the things this phone can do if
    1) There is no place to store all the great pictures you can take, the music you can listen to that utilizes beats software, and the apps that utilize quad core processors, etc.
    2) You won't be able to do anything on the phone after it dies in 5 hours... large extremely high pixel density screens are not battery friendly!

I really want to love the DNA, but I've learned my lesson from the thunderbolt. I'm sure it will be great (as was the thunderbolt) but what's the point if I can't use it the way I want...
    Now, I will still wait for reviews and some hands on experience in the store, so I'm not completely throwing it out, but as of know it's looking like it's down to the Note 2 vs Razr HD for me.
    A lot of my thoughts right there...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

without buying a phone at full retail price is there any way I can keep my unlimited data plan?
    To live and die in L.A.

Add a new line then switch that phone over to your unlimited number AFTER you leave the store.

The Nottinator

Ok, this brings up another interesting point.

Let's say I'm in the VZW store buying a new DNA. I'm going to set it up on an upgradable dumb phone account. Now, we've gotta go through the whole thing of encoding a SIM and all that, right? I assume we do, so all of that gets done and the DNA is now assigned to the old dumb line. THEN I turn around and go back into the store and say ok, now we want to switch it to my unlimited account. Now we have to pull that SIM card out and replace it with the one from the phone on my unlimited line, right?

No, dial *228, select option 1 which is program phone, enter the telephone number of your unlimited data plan and Verizon programs it for you ota.

The Nottinator

Quote Originally Posted by Markster1 View Post
    No, dial *228, select option 1 which is program phone, enter the telephone number of your unlimited data plan and Verizon programs it for you ota.

The Nottinator
    Nope. *228 has no part in the 4G/LTE world. That'll play a part in reactivating the dumb phone, but no role with the LTE devices.

Really? So your saying it can't be done with your thunderbolt? I find that odd, I know lte is much different from 3g but i can activate my Incredible's with *228.

The Nottinator

Quote Originally Posted by Markster1 View Post
    Really? So your saying it can't be done with your thunderbolt? I find that odd, I know lte is much different from 3g but i can activate my Incredible's with *228.

The Nottinator
    Yassir, exactly what I'm saying. The SIM card provided all the programming - that's its point.

Hey,

I am still confused as to what I can do. I have a solo account with a day 1 thunderbolt. So I either add a line of service with the phone I want and then deactivate the phone on that number and then reactivate it on my current line. Right? Then I have 2 questions about that, what happens to that other line, I have to keep paying the whatever the price is a month to keep the line open, and then what happens to my current contract once it expires?

Well thats my only option right....Sorry I am really confused about this.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridboy695 View Post
    Hey,

I am still confused as to what I can do. I have a solo account with a day 1 thunderbolt. So I either add a line of service with the phone I want and then deactivate the phone on that number and then reactivate it on my current line. Right? Then I have 2 questions about that, what happens to that other line, I have to keep paying the whatever the price is a month to keep the line open, and then what happens to my current contract once it expires?

Well thats my only option right....Sorry I am really confused about this.
    You have a contact on that new line you got the phone on so you have to pay the going rate for 2 years. After that you can terminate it.

Nothing happens after your current contract expires, everything status the same, you do not have to renew.

The Nottinator
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast