Upgrade time. TB to ????

DarkBeer

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
My upgrade time is next month and trying to figure out what to switch to. Corporate account, and staying with Verizon. I've been pretty happy with the TB. Primary usage is phone, email and a few apps. I use Endomondo for my daily bike commute and weekend rides. A little facebook time, score mobile, bible reader, pandora, and a few others. Currently have the Rezound battery in it, and a typical day leaves me with 30-40% battery when I plug it back in at bed time. I'm rooted and running Gingeritis 3D. Definitely want to be able to root and have options for custom roms. Have not run a cyanogenmod rom yet, but interested in that option. Want to root so I can continue using Google wifi tether, adblock, debloat, etc. Currently using about 8 gig of the sd card. Radio is normally on 3G/wifi, but I turn on 4G if using wifi tether, which is normally on longer car trips to provide wifi to kids' ipods.

Made a brief visit to the VZ store yesterday and looked at DNA, S3, and Razr Maxx HD. Don't think I would want to go any larger than those, so not considering the Note 2 at this point. I prefer a hip pouch for carrying the phone around, and looks like it is questionable if some of these phones will fit in the current VZ universal pouch. I'm not a gamer, nor have I watched movies on my phone. Liked the look and feel of the DNA, and while I could get by with the 16 gig storage (at least in my current usage), the inability to replace the battery down the road as it ages is a concern. HTCs lack of updates doesn't win any bonus points either.

Would appreciate any insight and comments from people that have made the switch, or are getting ready to. Any other options I should add to the evalutation list?

ducey99

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting the GS3. I've played with it and know other ppl with it and they love it. I can't wait until next week when my upgrade becomes available. I can't charge my phone bc the port is broken so I have to continuously charge the batteries. I have 2 extra and they don't last long on my phone. So over it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm in a similar position, and I think you're looking at the right phones. If the Note 2 is too big for you, then it's too big; that phablet isn't for everyone. I do think it's going to be a great device, but like you, I'm passing on it after giving it a serious look. That leaves the DNA, Maxx HD, and the S3.

For me, the DNA just doesn't have enough storage to future proof the phone. With apps getting bigger all the time, I just don't see 11.2 GB's as enough to last me the next two years. However, I do play games, watch movies, and listen to music on my phone, so this is a little more important to me. I'm currently using a little over a GB of internal storage and 15 GB on my sd card, so it would be tough to go with a phone with only 11.2 GB. PLUS, the non-removable battery is a deal breaker for me. I've read good reviews of the DNA's battery life, but this is just one of those things I'm not willing to budge on at this time.

The Razr Maxx HD looks like a very nice phone, and I hear nothing but good things from everyone who has one. You can't argue with the size of the battery (3300 mAh), so if the non-removable battery isn't an issue, then I would rank this one slightly ahead of the DNA. 32 GB's of internal storage but only 1 GB of RAM, compared to 2 on the DNA and S3. Still, I think this should be a strong contender, but of the phones that are out right now, I'd probably go with the S3.

Obviously, you're sacrificing some battery life with the S3 compared to the Maxx HD, but for me, I'd get the removable battery I need, the 32 GB's of internal storage that I want, and a solid developer following to feed my need to root. I think it's the best phone (for my needs) right now. HOWEVER....

I'm going to pass on it because it's been out for 5 months, and unless my Bolt dies on me, I'm going to hold out for the S4. My Bolt is still going strong, I have very few data drops, the battery lasts me all day and then some, and I don't actually "need" a new phone right now. Hopefully the S4 drops around March (or earlier), and hopefully I can hold out that long. :)

DarkBeer

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
That is the trouble with this decision process. There is always another great phone just a few months out. Heck, HTC/VZW may finally hear enough backlash that they come out with a 32GB/bigger battery version of the DNA by March or sooner.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I agree. It's tough, but the good news is that all of the phones you're looking at are nicer than the Bolt. If you do decide to wait, there will be another great phone coming down the pipe, and no, I'm not one of those people that will constantly be passing on every phone for the next big thing. I just want certain things for my next phone, and as soon as one meets my criteria, I'm all over it.

Good luck with your decision!

sirlancelot323

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
+100

If you don't like what you see, don't buy. I was really tempted to by the DNA, but after the experience TB'ers had as early adopters, I wasn't gonna get into that again.

Bought me a RAZR HD today. Loving it so far. We'll see...

Jason_A

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I went from the TB to the new DNA. The DNA is an amazing phone. It definitely has a compromise on the memory, so that's something you'll have to decide if you can handle. Wasn't an issue for me. Battery isn't an issue either - I get a solid 12 hours with moderate use, which is way better than I ever got on the TB with the extended battery. If battery life is a real issue, the Maxx is kind of your only option (or something with a removable battery + spares).

chuckh0308

Apr 3, 2011
www.welcomehomeseattle.com
I don't have any reason/need to rush into a new phone, so I'm going to wait and see if a better version of the DNA shows up later. If my T-Bolt suddenly dies or something and I HAVE to get a new phone before then, it will probably be the Razr Maxx HD for the battery and memory.

I would love to have the DNA, and I could probably survive on the battery, but the memory situation is an absolute deal breaker. No can do.

rolo99

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Went from a TB to a Razr Maxx HD. LOVE the battery. As old habits die hard, I keep looking for a place to plug it in, but then I remember I don't have to!! I am not tied down by chargers and external battery chargers anymore. Freedom!! For example, the phone has been off the charger since 8am today. Still at 66% battery with the screen-on time of 1hr 15 min.

My husband used his upgrade to go from an iphone 4 to the S3. After an update, the battery is as bad as, or worse than the TB. It's like we switched phones. I gladly gave him all of my old TB chargers. :D

ducey99

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Went from a TB to a Razr Maxx HD. LOVE the battery. As old habits die hard, I keep looking for a place to plug it in, but then I remember I don't have to!! I am not tied down by chargers and external battery chargers anymore. Freedom!! For example, the phone has been off the charger since 8am today. Still at 66% battery with the screen-on time of 1hr 15 min.

My husband used his upgrade to go from an iphone 4 to the S3. After an update, the battery is as bad as, or worse than the TB. It's like we switched phones. I gladly gave him all of my old TB chargers. :D

I haven't heard that from anybody about the S3 battery. I doubt anything is as bad as the TB battery.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

Freedom! Until you need a charge, then you're tied down for the duration... :p That's my biggest beef with non-removable batteries. I'd rather have the option to swap and go at a moments notice and only tether to a charge as a last resort. :)

Regarding your husband's S3, if an update is causing a battery drain issue, could be a rogue app that's not playing nice with the update or something didn't install properly from the update and the phone needs a master (factory) reset to get things back in order. It's a PITA to do, but does the trick 99% of the time. :)

DarkBeer

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The battery comments on the DNA have been encouraging so far. As I mentioned, I get through the day without a recharge on my TB. However, with 24/7/365 usage, I feel it is inevitable that there will come a time when the battery won't get you through a day. With the TB, and any other phone with a replaceable battery, you just replace the battery and go back to day one battery life, or even better like I did with running the Rezound battery in the TB.

Ugh, the never ending battle between wanting a new phone, and feeling like you timed the purchase correctly. Appreciate the continued feedback all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87