Anyone else feeling like they'll be trading in their TB in 4-5 months?

durangojim#AC

Banned
Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I've had the DINC since April and have been very content, but I broke it's screen and need a new phone. I tried an iphone for a day but couldn't get past its limitations, so I'm going to get a bolt as soon as it is released. The more I read though, the more I'm seeing some possible limitations -- no netflix, no dual core, a little chunky. It will no doubt be a great phone, but it seems like there's a lot (even more than in the past) great devices that will be released by the end of the summer. I know this happens frequently and there's always something better on the horizion, but like I said, I've been very happy with the DINC and wouldn't even be getting a new phone if it hadn't been broken, but with the bolt it really seems like the next generation of devices are coming out shortly after the TB will. Anyone feel the same?

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Until the battery life and apps running have proven themselves on the dual core, I think it's just pissing in the wind.

The 4G radio and bigger battery in the Bionic will almost guarantee more bulk than the T bolt.

No offense to you, or anyone for that matter...

I've never seen/heard of a more hyped device and more talking about something that doesn't even exist yet (in the hands of Joe Smith Retail customers, I don't count demos)...

Personally, I think VZW should work on bringing LTE service to more areas (be done by mid 2012 instead of end of 2013) and then sell/market devices that will take advantage of it.

They're putting the cart before the horse, IMO.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
i feel the same way

but, that's the beauty of Craigslist or Ebay

for instance, i'm selling my Evo &accessories (not even 5 months old) that i bought on Craigslist--putting it up on ebay to completely pay for my ETF & TB (if data plan is still $29.99)

so i'm pretty sure once the next awesome phone comes out (with FFC, dual core) in the next few months, i'll be heading back to Craigslist/ebay and putting the TB up for sale to pay 90% of my next slightly-used phone off Craigslist/ebay :)

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
To each his own; you can get whatever you want. But don't dismiss the TB that quickly...

When it releases it will be the fastest phone available on Verizon to date. As for the dual core, people hear the words "dual core" and automatically want it. But they need to understand that Froyo and even Gingerbread are not yet written to utilize multiple cores. It's like buying a Ferrari when the maximum speed in your town is 25 MPH - a waste of money since you can't even utilize it. Versions after Gingerbread will be able to use multiple cores, but it will be more than your projected "4-5 months" before we see that ported to any HTC phones. My guess is we will just barely have received Gingerbread at that point

As for Netflix, a few of the TB demo models at CES had the Netflix app installed, so I suppose it's possible. But fear not: Once a Netflix app is released for Android, the wizards over at XDA will have it ported to other devices within a day or two

Sure, there is always new and better tech around the corner. But with technology you just have to jump in at some point, otherwise you'll never buy anything. Imagine you just bought a computer this month with the fastest processor available: Would you upgrade your computer's processor every time Intel or AMD drops a new one? I bet not, but that doesn't mean that your now outdated computer is "slow" and should be traded in

Nomsayin? :D

EDIT: I posted this below to clarify as well, but I apparently got a little mixed up: The pics I saw were of an LG phone running Netflix, not the TB. Apologies for the error. But XDA will still work hard at porting Netflix to HTC phones if it is released to LG first

Last edited:

durangojim#AC

Banned
Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
To each his own; you can get whatever you want. But don't dismiss the TB that quickly...

When it releases it will be the fastest phone available on Verizon to date. As for the dual core, people hear the words "dual core" and automatically want it. But they need to understand that Froyo and even Gingerbread are not yet written to utilize multiple cores. It's like buying a Ferrari when the maximum speed in your town is 25 MPH - a waste of money since you can't even utilize it. Versions after Gingerbread will be able to use multiple cores, but it will be more than your projected "4-5 months" before we see that ported to any HTC phones. My guess is we will just barely have received Gingerbread at that point

As for Netflix, a few of the TB demo models at CES had the Netflix app installed, so I suppose it's possible. But fear not: Once a Netflix app is released for Android, the wizards over at XDA will have it ported to other devices within a day or two

Sure, there is always new and better tech around the corner. But with technology you just have to jump in at some point, otherwise you'll never buy anything. Do you upgrade your computer's processor every time Intel or AMD drops a new one? I bet not, but that doesn't mean that your now outdated computer is "slow" and should be traded in

Nomsayin? :D

I didn't realize the TB had had netflix on it at CES, I thought it was just the LG revolution that had a demo.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I think VZW should work on bringing LTE service to more areas (be done by mid 2012 instead of end of 2013) and then sell/market devices that will take advantage of it.

I think they are trying their best to get LTE nationwide as quickly as possible already. I mean they are literally flipping the LTE switch on more and more towers daily. Not weekly, or monthly, but daily.

Just as an anecdote, when Verizon launched LTE only the launch cities and the immediate suburbs of the cities had LTE. I checked the map the next day after launch and they already had some of the Columbus exurbs covered. Then I checked the next day and there were some Detroit suburbs that had LTE even though Detroit itself wasn't a launch city. Then the next day West Lafayette Indiana (home of Purdue University) was covered with LTE.

The point being, I fully expect Verizon to have the same LTE coverage (if not more) as AT&T's current 3G coverage by the end of this year and if not by this time next year. The whole reason I'm still not quite sure about the Thunderbolt is because by this time next year I expect the Bionic to pretty much become the standard type of smartphone on Verizon.

galpdawg

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Ill probably keep it until something else comes out and try it, i have 5 upgrades this year so im not to worried. Benefits of being on family plan with members who dont need new tech

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I really like the TBolt, but prefer the Bionic. With the issues already stated about dual-core, etc., that is what is making me strongly considering going with the TBolt on a 1-yr contract and then panning the field at the end of the year for higher-end devices.

As far as LTE, I'm not planned to get it this year according to Verizon's map. This really puzzles me as there is no area in all of Virginia other than the nearby suburbs of DC that will get it this year.

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I didn't realize the TB had had netflix on it at CES, I thought it was just the LG revolution that had a demo.

After a second look, I believe you are correct. I tried to google the pics I thought I saw of the TB running Netflix, but they are indeed LG phones running it. My apologies

But my point still holds: Once it's released on an LG phone, XDA devs will work on porting it over to HTC ones as well

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Adding a line for my daughter and she gets my DInc... I keep my July upgrade, but I have a feeling I can "Suffer" with my TBolt until at least Christmas....

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, though, the Bolt will be fine unless you are planning on being a hardcore gamer. By this time next year they'll have the next gen LTE radios (more efficient) and dual/quad-core Snapdragons/Tegra that will also be optimized and more efficient.

If you want bleeding edge, get the Bionic. However, I have a feeling those people won't have a better phone experience this year over the Bolt.

I'm more so curious about the Revolution. bmx keeps saying to keep an eye on this phone, and it seems that this thing has a lot going for it (VoLTE, Netflix, etc.).

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I will try to keep until my one year contract is up but if some new HTC phone is released with much better specs then yes I will upgrade to it. I'm guessing this phone will get me through the end of the year but I just have to wait to find out.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I will try to keep until my one year contract is up but if some new HTC phone is released with much better specs then yes I will upgrade to it. I'm guessing this phone will get me through the end of the year but I just have to wait to find out.

More than likely we won't see the next-gen LTE phone on HTC until a year from now anyway. The four LTE phones were announced for this year already so you might as well wait the full year.

rigorx

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I had always planned on getting a TBolt on a 1 year contract; I don't ever do 2 years these days in the mobile world - too long for a tech / hardware geek like myself.

After doing some deeper investigated reading as well as waiting for even more mobile hardware news out of MWC this week, I can totally see myself selling my TBolt on eBay in a few months and getting something else. The new Samsung S2 looks fantastic with it's dual core, 1GB RAM, 4.3" full stripe matrix Super AMOLED Plus, and slim profile. I'm a sucker for screen technology, and this thing is being described as absolutely beautiful. It comes with GB 2.3 as well.

Read this page from Anand if you want to know the details of dual core phones and Android right now: LG Optimus 2X & NVIDIA Tegra 2 Review: The First Dual-Core Smartphone - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, though, the Bolt will be fine unless you are planning on being a hardcore gamer. By this time next year they'll have the next gen LTE radios (more efficient) and dual/quad-core Snapdragons/Tegra that will also be optimized and more efficient.

If you want bleeding edge, get the Bionic. However, I have a feeling those people won't have a better phone experience this year over the Bolt.

I'm more so curious about the Revolution. bmx keeps saying to keep an eye on this phone, and it seems that this thing has a lot going for it (VoLTE, Netflix, etc.).

This is what still has me contemplating the Thunderbolt. I've never even thought about truly gaming on my phone. Would I like to play games every once in a while and not have them freeze or bog down my phone, sure, but I'm not going to get into phone games like I do 360 games.

However, there is a supposed battery life advantage with dual-core processors. Now of course you'll notice a longer battery life on the Bionic simply because the battery is over a third bigger than the Thunderbolt battery, but if it comes with a battery that large and the dual-core processors really do extend battery life, then the Bionic may actually rival BlackBerry battery life given similar usage.

I am Fake Jesus

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
im gonna sign a 2 year most likely. unless 1 year is under $300. keeping up now-a-days is very expensive. id rather have an upgrade make a larger leap then baby steps. not a heavy gamer. the bolt is perfect for me. tho trust me. i will be up to date on all tech. excited for the future

asianrage

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I guess I'm going to be one of the few who will keep their phone for a while. I don't have a Netflix account, nor do I want to, so, meh. I don't do gaming on my phone, nor gaming in general, so eh. I understand that Dual-Core is the hotness right now, and I want it but I'm not gonna be using it to its max capability so that would be a waste right now. Plus, I don't like the look of the Bionic or the fact that it has only 512MB of RAM when 1GB is preferred.

My plan is to get this phone on a (preferably) 1 year contract, wait out until the quad-core version make itself available and jump on that ship. Maybe with a 2yr contract, by then, all of these mobile OSs should have made themselves optimized for multi-core SOCs to make for an improved user experience.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer