ACTUAL 4g LTE speeds

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Verizon is advertising 5-12, but that's conservative. At CES they were seeing speeds upwards of 18. At the beginning, when the network is relatively unloaded, it could go as high as 30.

SamOliver

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I'd be really surprised/excited if I got 30! I know the first thing I'm gonna do when I get it is go to speedtest.net.

MarkyD311

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
oh, something like this ;)

1171444519.png

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I asked Panda about that pic and he said that was with an empty network. He said expect normal range as 5-7 u/d peaking at around 12.

I don't know about that. Our corporate Verizon rep for our company said that they quote 5-12 for a completely saturated network, meaning if everyone in the country was on Verizon's LTE network. That's where Verizon is different than any other wireless company. They could easily quote 18-30 as that's what the rep said everyone was getting right now on a regular basis.

So that being said, I think we could expect to be at least in the 10-12 range for a while until more people get on the network.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
i don't believe much of the speed tests shown @ CES, because they probably had an LTE broadcast unit (whatever the tech term is) close by and was a closed network specifically for that location--
just like Sprint Wimax shows 18+ at the CES and demo shows (with acknowledged broadcast unit nearby in the videos). But whenever i use it out here in a 4g rollout city, i'm lucky if i can break 5+ on full 4G coverage

saturation of network for LTE is the element in which i'm interested

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I can tell you that I've tested/upgraded to a couple LG LTE cards for my laptop users.
LTE was just turned on in Metro Detroit last week...so obviously, it's a pretty desolate network at this point in time.
I was amazed, as were the two users I handed the cards over to.

My speeds peaked at over 20 down and 9 up...but I got a couple 6 down, 6 up.

Keeping in mind, this was on a laptop.

Speed up/down is one thing, the processing power to handle that speed is another...

I was seriously impressed and I have a new sense of excitement to see an actual phone on LTE around here.

Reactions: ongre10

Nitros7

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
nice speeds but check the latency on it... 250, could be better... any one know the latency for sprints WiMax, just curious to compare the two.

Edit: looks like this is par for the course with 4G... sprins runs in the 130-150 on ping tests... I would have liked to see it come in at like 70-40

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
nice speeds but check the latency on it... 250, could be better... any one know the latency for sprints WiMax, just curious to compare the two.

I think it's about the same. Unfortunately you won't be able to get true LTE card speeds simply because like the previous post said, phones lack the processing power.

With phones I think there will always be a bit more of a latency delay.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Ive seen it once in person from our verizon rep. I did not see web speeds but i did see overall snappiness of the OS. And i am still amazed. The high RAM does the phone good and allows it to be a multi tasking beast. That and the build quality are what i was most impressed by. It looks like a very high quality device.

Reactions: ongre10

Nitros7

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I think it's about the same. Unfortunately you won't be able to get true LTE card speeds simply because like the previous post said, phones lack the processing power.

With phones I think there will always be a bit more of a latency delay.

shouldn't matter most home routers like the one I am on right now have a processor that runs in the few hundred mega hertz and I am running a ping of about 75 with 2 other units actively using the net... the tbolt dose have a lot going on in the back ground but its on a 1Ghz processor.

I am Fake Jesus

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I asked Panda about that pic and he said that was with an empty network. He said expect normal range as 5-7 u/d peaking at around 12.

yeah makes sense. but thats just gorgeous, i wonder if these speeds will be capable in the beginning where might not be many users in a 4g area.

but ill be very happy with 5-12 compared to my 1.5dl .75 up with att 3g

somnambulator

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
shouldn't matter most home routers like the one I am on right now have a processor that runs in the few hundred mega hertz and I am running a ping of about 75 with 2 other units actively using the net... the tbolt dose have a lot going on in the back ground but its on a 1Ghz processor.
that means nothing. at all. a router is a very dedicated and purpose-built device and processor speeds cant be compared, almost ever. the router's also using a wired connection to the wired modem while a phone uses wireless to a radio tower miles away...

phones are very week compared to PCs and probably wont be able to really utilize the full speeds of 4G for some time. even tho a site may download at 15MBps the phone may not be able to load the page that quickly, defeating the purpose of the awesome connection.

you cant compare an end device to a networking device...