Android email attachment/file question

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to save an email attachment to the SD card?

Is there a way in Android to "associate" a file extension with an executable, like in Windows? I receive attachments with the extension ".log" and cannot open them or save them to disk. They are actually .TXT files.

-Frank

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to save an email attachment to the SD card?

Is there a way in Android to "associate" a file extension with an executable, like in Windows? I receive attachments with the extension ".log" and cannot open them or save them to disk. They are actually .TXT files.

-Frank
Bump. Anyone?

I did manage to find the downloaded attachments in the "Download" folder using Astro File Manager (available in the Market). And, I can then display the ".log" plain text files using "OfficeSuite" which I also installed from the Market.

But, I would really like to be able to associate these "log" files in such a way that I could download and click on them in my email to open them. Right now I get a message saying "not supported file format" (or similar).

I was looking through Astro and it seems to have extensions associated with mime types. But I can't figure out if I can do what I want or if it will work. I'm afraid if I dink around in there with Astro without knowing what I'm doing I'll mess something up (famous last words! :) ).

I should add that the mime type for .log was already set to "plain text".

Maybe a different office suite? I'm happy to pay for whatever works, that's not the issue.

TIA,

-Frank

Last edited:

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
In Mail go to just the account you want settings > general settings > attachement cache you can make it internal or external storage

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
In Mail go to just the account you want settings > general settings > attachement cache you can make it internal or external storage
Thanks. I did find that. But the issues is not so much where they are stored, but how to open and read them from within my email.

-Frank

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried to long press the attachment? You should get a popup asking what you want to use to open the file with.
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I tried a long press. A long press on the attachment from within my email doesn't do anything that just tapping does - "unable to open this file". It's just because of the ".log" extension. Although a long press using Astro in the file system does give me this prompt.

Anyway, I have now purchased Officesuite Pro (I like it) and since I have now found where these attachments are on-disk (SD Card /download folder) I can open them with Officesuite. Officesuite prompts me "do you want to import this plain text file", I say yes and it works fine. Officesuite will automagically open other "normal" extension attachments directly from my email (i.e. doc, docx, xls, xlsx, etc. - well not ".etc" :) ).

I am satisfied with this. Most attachments are known file types. And looking in the SDcard/download directory is not a big deal occasionally.

I also purchased Astro File Manager. Very cool. The free Astro is supported with ads, I decided I wanted to pay the $2.99 to get rid of the ads. Officesuite Pro was $14.99. I'm happy now :D

-Frank

mherrmann_at

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I had exactly the same problem and wrote an app that does not require you to go into any other apps. Once you installed my App, you get a "View" button in your email attachment list that immediately shows the log file. The app is called "Log File Viewer"; you can download it from here: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...?id=at.mherrmann.logfileviewer&token=eGAJzMXp

If you have any comments, let me know :)

Cheers,
Michael

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress