VZW Mobile Hospot on Thunderbolt

diablofreak

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
is 4GLTE Mobile Hotspot really free for up to 5/15 for thunderbolt owners? I don't see any official words from Verizon otherwise.

Is it wise to turn it on? I don't want to rack up a crazy phone bill

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I know it's free till May 15th.
I don't know if it's unlimited or if it's capped at 2GB.
I tried it...holy schnikes...it's nice.
VPN into work and Remote Desktop into my desk computer like I was on an Ethernet connection and cable.

thegov

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I read that its capped at 2 gb but sorry can't remember where. was a tech rss on my evo but can't remember which..

itstheAtomBomb

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
The Rep that activated me said that it is unlimited until May 15th, and then after will drop off of the bill. After May 15th if you continue to pay the $20 or whatever the fee is, you will be capped at 2gb.

diablofreak

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
um, i tried it, it never prompted me to do anything or accept any agreement.
but on 5/15 will they just slap this on my bill? or would i have to sign up again?

i just dont want to have accidentally signed up for automatic enrollment by merely test driving it for the next 2 months.

panicprone77

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
um, i tried it, it never prompted me to do anything or accept any agreement.
but on 5/15 will they just slap this on my bill? or would i have to sign up again?

i just dont want to have accidentally signed up for automatic enrollment by merely test driving it for the next 2 months.

My rep said that you have to cancel it before 5/15 because if you don't, they will automatically start charging for it.

GoldLeader

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I let my friend at work with an iPhone piggyback off my 4G network earlier to show him how fast it was.
Also did some side by side speed comparisons on scrolling around the satellite map on his phone with his connection, and on my phone with 4G connection.

He was really impressed with the speed. He liked how the WiFi Hotspot made his phone Map app and Web browser so fast.

If his Canadian cell company, Rogers, gets a 4G device, then he's definitely going to pick one up.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
My rep said that you have to cancel it before 5/15 because if you don't, they will automatically start charging for it.

Okay, there seems to be some discrepancy here. I've heard a couple of people say that their rep told them there would be a text message asking us if we wish to opt-in. Which would make sense to me because they can't force you to buy something if they give it to you for free for a certain time frame.

shaddix

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
just be sure to call and make sure it's cancelled before the 15th no matter what the reps say lol.

free trial crap NEVER makes you "opt-in" to actually start paying for it.

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I was blown away that I was able to play Black Ops online at my house (mind you, I have no internet service whatsoever at home at the moment) using my phones hotspot 4g network.... Oh and BTW I was able to receive a call and put my phone on speaker to speak to a buddy I was playing with online... AAMAZING!!!

shaddix

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I was blown away that I was able to play Black Ops online at my house (mind you, I have no internet service whatsoever at home at the moment) using my phones hotspot 4g network.... Oh and BTW I was able to receive a call and put my phone on speaker to speak to a buddy I was playing with online... AAMAZING!!!

how was the lag on it?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Yep. Amazing. It confuses me (and maybe galls me a little) that so many "adults" expect this kind of capability to be free and/or dirt cheap, or to just try to "steal" it.

It certainly is amazing. And all that at typical ~10Mbps download and 4Mbps upload speeds. On a damned cell phone! Who woulda thunk it!

[SPEED]

-Frank

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I tried it with my parents iPhone on AT&T. It was easy to launch. My dad said it was fast!

Is there a way to change the access password?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I tried it with my parents iPhone on AT&T. It was easy to launch. My dad said it was fast!

Is there a way to change the access password?
You can also change the broadcast SSID name to something like "Download Virus" to keep people from trying to connect! :)

-Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38