Tethering Apps

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone, thus far, gotten any non-VZW tethering solution to work on the ThunderBolt? If so, which one?

Please don't "read between the lines". I have been paying VZW for the Tethering option for years and I intend to keep on doing that when they have that option available for sale for the ThunderBolt (after the free period expires, presumably).

However, I have used PDANet in the "olden days" and I was just curious, with VZWs new technology, if something like PDANet would even work with the ThunderBolt. I was guessing it wouldn't.

-Frank

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Haven't tried it on my Thunderbolt yet, but I used the app called Tether for over 2 years on my Blackberry and was really satisfied with it.

I'll get it for Android when I need to tether.
http://market.android.com/details?id=tether.android

It's a pay app. The comment down a bit says it works great on the Thunderbolt.
AFAIK, most (all?) of these tethering programs rely on DUN (Dial Up Networking). Also, AFAIK, the ThunderBolt does not support DUN at all (Bluetooth or USB).

Additionally, I suspect with the new generation 4G phones like the ThunderBolt, VZW will "gather" identifying data (like maybe the IMEI, MEID, IMSI or something) and prevent any software other than "VZW-approved" software from connecting. Just my thoughts.

They are definitely on a "how best to manage our bandwidth" campaign lately. And I'm sure that's why they still don't have a plan available to purchase for the ThunderBolt. And everyone thinks they're just being nice by "giving" us free Mobile Hotspot (and tethering) until May 15th. I think they just don't have a plan, to include technical enforcement, ready to rollout yet.

-Frank

Nate1861

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I use PDAnet all the time with my Thunderbolt. Works without any issues. I only have 3G when tethering with it though, so I am not sure if it is capable of keeping up with 4G speeds.

Reactions: FrankXS

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I use PDAnet all the time with my Thunderbolt. Works without any issues. I only have 3G when tethering with it though, so I am not sure if it is capable of keeping up with 4G speeds.
Very Interesting. I wonder if that's because PDANet is connecting to <phonenumber>@vzw3g.com?

-Frank

Nate1861

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Very Interesting. I wonder if that's because PDANet is connecting to <phonenumber>@vzw3g.com?

-Frank

The information to connect is

<phonenumber>@vzwireless.com
vzw

From what I remember, you just configure it as a normal DUN connection through a CDMA modem. DUN does not appear when you normally pair it to the computer, but if you have PDAnet turned on while pairing, DUN appears as an option.

thozgyz

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Use easy tether pro and pda. Both work as should. Easy tether seems to drop out pda stays connected much better. Pda is also a little quicker on internet speed test. Not by much tho. Can also bluetooth pda little slower that way tho.

Aeryn

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Wireless Tether for Root works very well for me too. But I use it because the stock hotspot app is extremely unreliable with all its drops.

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
My guess is that we are getting it for free while they work out a plan to manage the feature better at verizon. I would guess that an update on or around May 15th might change things so I am not relying on what is working today to work beyond May 15th. I am guessing that it might take some brainpower to hack through whatever new scheme they come up with. Once that is done i think you will still be in the "occasional use" is under the radar, and "I cancelled my internet at home and am using this for torrents while i build by streaming video library" use will get you noticed