Problems with Google on 4G?

navigatn714

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I would like to see if DNS can be changed on un-rooted Thunderbolt till the update that was due to release on the 15th or 16th and now "soon".

Sorry, set dns only works if ur rooted. Once u lose root, u will lose superuser rights and set dns will no longer work. The dns will revert back to ur stock non Google dns.

Currently, I dont know of a solution for nonrooted phones.

morrisdl

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
As of right now, my 4G is working with Google voice and other sites that were not previously working!

Related? I also had my first unexpected reboot today shortly after I tested this. I should clarify ,1st with this very like new replacement phone w/mr1 that I have been using for past 2 weeks. Before that it was 5x daily.

If so, ill go back to 3g. I have been enjoying the extra battery life.

e88cc

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Don't want to jinx it, but Google searches are working again for me now without the 30 seconds of lag (presently in downtown LA)

Thank goodness. I was starting to think this might be a VZW / Microsoft / Bing / Skype conspiracy.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, set dns only works if ur rooted. Once u lose root, u will lose superuser rights and set dns will no longer work. The dns will revert back to ur stock non Google dns.

Currently, I dont know of a solution for nonrooted phones.
1. TB users are waiting on Verizon's MR2 and HTC's update - two separate updates.
2. I have rooted by phone but I un-rooted thinking that might have aggravated the 4g issue.
3. If I root, what does that mean for MR2 and HTC's OTA updates?

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Don't want to jinx it, but Google searches are working again for me now without the 30 seconds of lag (presently in downtown LA)

Thank goodness. I was starting to think this might be a VZW / Microsoft / Bing / Skype conspiracy.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
Since 11 am in PST, my 4g seems to be working. All the apps that were hanging is working...I too hope that I am not jinxing it by saying anything.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
1. TB users are waiting on Verizon's MR2 and HTC's update - two separate updates.
2. I have rooted by phone but I un-rooted thinking that might have aggravated the 4g issue.
3. If I root, what does that mean for MR2 and HTC's OTA updates?

1) There is one VZW update coming, refered to as "MR2" by VZW. Not two. HTC does not directly distribute OTA updates without going through VZW.

2) Probably didn't make any difference. Depends on the Radio.

3) If you're rooted, you won't be offered the official VZW OTA MR2 update.

-Frank

Reactions: jimnycricket65

cbr1000

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't want to jinx it either. But it google searches etc, are working again.
I guess it was all in my head since VZ never acknowledged the problem.
What a bunch of BS we customers had to go thru.

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
1) There is one VZW update coming, refered to as "MR2" by VZW. Not two. HTC does not directly distribute OTA updates without going through VZW.

2) Probably didn't make any difference. Depends on the Radio.

3) If you're rooted, you won't be offered the official VZW OTA MR2 update.

-Frank
Frank; I really do apprecaite you taking the time.

1) Thanks on the clarification. I tried the MR2 on the replacement phone and it did not resolve the 4g connectivity and hotspot issue.
2.) Ok. I might root depending on 3)
3) Is it possible to root after mr2 update? I had a quick root, un-root files which I downloaded.

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
As far as the "word-on-the-street", no.

-Frank
Frank;
Last set of questions for the day. Are you TB user and having 4g connectivity issues?

I do have all kinds of questions about which ROM to flash after rooting but I am quite happy with just plain rooting for wireless tether and getting rid of blotwares. Anything I should research after rooting?

essercb

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
Still no luck for me in Orange County. In fact, when on 4G, I can't connect to anything now and 3G seems to be the default even after I made changes in dasBAMF Toolkit.

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Still no luck for me in Orange County. In fact, when on 4G, I can't connect to anything now and 3G seems to be the default even after I made changes in dasBAMF Toolkit.
Last night I was in Cypress - no steady 4g. I am now in OC - Anaheim and 4g is steady since 11 am. I am going to Brea/Fullerton area tonight and will see if 4g keeps up.

Unrooted, no leaked MR2, TB, crossed-fingers tightly.

Reactions: essercb

essercb

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
Last night I was in Cypress - no steady 4g. I am now in OC - Anaheim and 4g is steady since 11 am. I am going to Brea/Fullerton area tonight and will see if 4g keeps up.

Unrooted, no leaked MR2, TB, crossed-fingers tightly.

Thanks for the info... I'm in Irvine area but heading to Anaheim later tonight. Lets see if it works then. :confused:

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Frank;
Last set of questions for the day. Are you TB user and having 4g connectivity issues?

I do have all kinds of questions about which ROM to flash after rooting but I am quite happy with just plain rooting for wireless tether and getting rid of blotwares. Anything I should research after rooting?
I have less TBolt issues than some. No reboots. Decent battery (hey, it is a 4.3 inch smartphone!). But I do have the annoying 3G/4G and even "No data" dropouts. They usually don't last very long so it's only a minor inconvenience. Turning off 4G fixes it.

I am not rooted. You're on your own there. Although I hear good things about BAMF.

I am MR1, waiting for the offical OTA MR2 which I hope will address my data dropout issues.

-Frank

Last edited:
Reactions: jimnycricket65
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I have less TBolt issues than some. No reboots. Decent battery (hey, it is a 4.3 inch smartphone!). But I do have the annoying 3G/4G and even "No data" dropouts. They usually don't last very long so it's only a minor inconvenience. Turning off 4G fixes it.

I am not rooted. You're on your own there. Although I hear good things about BAMF.

I am MR1, waiting for the offical OTA MR2 which I hope will address my data dropout issues.

-Frank
Thanks! I will follow your cue!

sammy303

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Just checked my phone after reading people's comments of things working and sure enough, google sites working much better now.

They must have changed something in the network again. wonder if they will admit to it....