Has the TB been a disappointment?

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. Yesterday I got 3 hours of battery life with a 5 minute phone call and no surfing or anything else. I'm in a very stong 4G area.
Users, including me, are having battery problems beginning at the end of last week.

For us TBolt users, it's like a game: "what won't work this week?" Is it that it won't connect to your computer, will the GPS not work, will 4G work, if you turn off 4G will 3G work, will the internet even work at all, will your battery suddenly deflate? What fun.

Jdyount

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Come on people, this argument is tired. If you don't like the phone, maybe you shouldn't have been an early adopter of the very first phone on a NEW network.

Does my phone reboot, yes, but I don't even notice 99% of the time. When I do notice, I wait the painfully long 45 seconds or so that it takes to come back on, then I use my phone.

Does my battery drain quickly? Sometimes with heavy use or when I'm in and out of service... But that happened with my Dinc and my Original Droid. If I was worried enough, I would get an extended battery. The NEW 4g network is likely the cause of most battery drain issues anyway. People, the network is new, the phone has to deal with that and the old network both. There are bugs, get over it.

If you want a vanilla os, go back to the Og Droid, If you want a small screen, go back to the Dinc.

Personally, the T-Bolt is the best phone I've ever used and HTC does make the best hardware.

Last edited:

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Come on people, this argument is tired. If you don't like the phone, maybe you shouldn't have been an early adopter of the very first phone on a NEW network.

Does my phone reboot, yes, but I don't even notice 99% of the time. When I do notice, I wait the painfully long 45 seconds or so that it takes to come back on, then I use my phone.

Does my battery drain quickly? Sometimes with heavy use or when I'm in and out of service... But that happened with my Dinc and my Original Droid. If I was worried enough, I would get an extended battery. The NEW 4g network is likely the cause of most battery drain issues anyway. People, the network is new, the phone has to deal with that and the old network both. There are bugs, get over it.

If you want a vanilla os, go back to the Og Droid, If you want a small screen, go back to the Dinc.

Personally, the T-Bolt is the best phone I've ever used and HTC does make the best hardware.

Come on people, your negative opinions on the Thunderbolt are tired. My opinion, which is that it's a great phone, is not tired, so I'll further elaborate! People should just think the way I do! If you don't like the phone, sucks to be you! Too bad if you thought things would get better over time like they did with the EVO. You had a FULL 14 DAYS to figure it out. Idiots.

Does my phone not work like it should, yes, but there are plenty of workarounds for it. Do they take time? Yes, but I don't even notice it. Is it annoying, hell no!

Does my battery drain quickly? Yes, but there's a workaround for that. Buy something! The NEW 4g network is likely the cause of most battery drain issues anyway. Ignore the fact that the battery still drains when the phone is on Wifi. Nothing to see there, people. People, the network is new, the phone has to deal with that and the old network both. There are bugs, get over it. It's not like the Thunderbolt is a device you use every day. You don't use it every day do you? Don't you know there are bugs in it!?

If you want a vanilla os, go back to the Og Droid, If you want a small screen, go back to the Dinc. Were you guys born premature? Verizon has offered each and every phone in the Nexus line! And I can't even count the number of Android phones Verizon has released over the past few months with screens under 4 inches. It must be hundreds!

Personally, the T-Bolt is the best phone I've ever used and HTC does make the best hardware. *putting fingers in my ears* LALALALALALA

aliasneo07

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
It's been somewhat disappointing, yes. However, most of that comes from software and accessories.
The only thing that that is disappointing about the phone itself is the reboot problem, and the original camcorder audio issues.

Camcorder has been fixed, and I can wait on the reboot fix, though it is annoying.

What irritated me the most was the lack of extended battery cases for a LONG time. Also, the lack of Skype really pisses me off, since it was a selling point on this phone. I know some of you would say "use a different program" but what I need is a program that allows video chat from my TB to a Macbook. All of the ones that allow phone to computer don't support macs (that I know of. If I'm wrong, please correct me. Yahoo messenger does not support the video function for macs.) Also, netflix would be nice.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Don't know why everyone is complaining about battery life on 4G. I run 4G all day everyday and its only once in a blue moon that I don't get a full days use on a single charge.

Thunderbolt HO!!!!

and how many features of the phone did you have to cripple/disable to get it that way. I am to the point now where I can get a day out of the stock battery on 3G but by all accounts 4G takes about 3x-4x the battery.

I'm not trying to be a smarty I am honestly curious as to what you turned off, disabled, or decreased.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
and I really wish the people would let the lack of Netflicks and Skype video go... these are third party apps and HTC and Verizon can not be held responsible for them not being ready/supported by the phone yet....

chuckh0308

Apr 3, 2011
www.welcomehomeseattle.com
I've only had one random reboot in the three months I've had the TB, my GPS has only been slow once (despite the fact that I use it ALL the time), and my battery life is good enough. Could be better, but I get by with it lasting 8+ hours with fairly heavy use. I don't give a rip about Netflix or Skype...no interest in either and probably never will.

Someone else mentioned it earlier in the thread, but my only real complaint is that I can't see the screen if I'm outside in sunlight.

Otherwise,, very pleased!

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I love my TBolt. It has been a great phone and the only issue I have had has been the reboots since the MR1 release (didn't have any before that update). Looking forward to the official MR2 release to address that. I did get the extended battery since I do travel often.

May 28, 2011
Visit site
my wife and i just dropped sprint and went to verizon the other day. i returned my evo and got the thunderbolt and i must say this phone is 10x better than anything the evo was. it's more responsive and fast and the battery life has been absolutely outstanding for me. i also do not suffer from the reboot issues some claim to have. maybe i just lucked out.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Now that the phone has been out for many months, and I've had it since it was first introduced, I can't get over the feeling that the TB had so much wasted potential. It seems like it's one large contradiction. I love the screen and the speed of LTE, but hate the battery life when it runs on LTE. There aren't many apps to take advantage of the 4G network, but the one that was touted initially will probably never come -- Skype, and one that many 3G phones already have -- Netflix is MIA. Other phones are getting or shipping with Gingerbread and yet it's far off in the distance for the bolt. Add a great camera to it's list of positives, yet when filming video, you can barely hear your subjects. Again, so many contradictions. I guess I'm posting this because I was really looking for a phone that I could keep for a year and be satisified, but I haven't really been totally satisfied with the bolt from day 1. Here's to hoping something really great is released by Verizon in the next 6 months that doesn't have an Apple logo on it.

Hate the battery life on the TB? Try this: HTC ThunderBolt PowerSkin Battery Case | PowerSkin

Jdyount

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Come on people, your negative opinions on the Thunderbolt are tired. My opinion, which is that it's a great phone, is not tired, so I'll further elaborate! People should just think the way I do! If you don't like the phone, sucks to be you! Too bad if you thought things would get better over time like they did with the EVO. You had a FULL 14 DAYS to figure it out. Idiots.

Does my phone not work like it should, yes, but there are plenty of workarounds for it. Do they take time? Yes, but I don't even notice it. Is it annoying, hell no!

Does my battery drain quickly? Yes, but there's a workaround for that. Buy something! The NEW 4g network is likely the cause of most battery drain issues anyway. Ignore the fact that the battery still drains when the phone is on Wifi. Nothing to see there, people. People, the network is new, the phone has to deal with that and the old network both. There are bugs, get over it. It's not like the Thunderbolt is a device you use every day. You don't use it every day do you? Don't you know there are bugs in it!?

If you want a vanilla os, go back to the Og Droid, If you want a small screen, go back to the Dinc. Were you guys born premature? Verizon has offered each and every phone in the Nexus line! And I can't even count the number of Android phones Verizon has released over the past few months with screens under 4 inches. It must be hundreds!

Personally, the T-Bolt is the best phone I've ever used and HTC does make the best hardware. *putting fingers in my ears* LALALALALALA

I'll tell you what is tired, its the cynical rhetoric. Some people have absolutely no prospective. They complain about the 1 or 2 % of the time that something doesn't work when 98% of the time everything works great. Consumers (I'll admit, myself included) have come to expect computer technology to be fast, easy, and to run without problems. The smart phones on the market in the last year have been great, but looking back, how good were the first Android Phones really? (For that matter, how good were the first iphones)? I'll tell you, they were slow and buggy. NOW, we have a new 4g network that uses a completely different technology and the phones have to be made to use, and more importantly integrate, both new and current technologies. The phone companies have a whole new set of bugs to work through. Yes the first phone released is going to have issues, but to say it is a disappointment is a matter of ignorance. Its a disappointment to some people because those people, again, have no prospective to the situation. I bought my T-Bolt day 1. I will admit, I was one of the people out there waiting and watching the forums everyday for information about its release. I was annoyed when the release was delayed and my thought was to just release the phone and I'll deal with issues and wait for the fixes as they're released. The thing is, even after release, I expected issues, BECAUSE ITS NEW..... SO, I don't complain about the issues. My phone is FAST, it has a great screen, great camera..... It is a very good device.

Last edited:
Reactions: fyrekraker

z06psi

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
O.k. I just upgraded yesterday from a BB Tour and the TB is light years better. I will comment more later but after being with BB for the last 7 years I feel like this was a quantum leap in tech as well as accessibility. No reboots as of yet and battery life has been great with my doing all sorts of stuff on it. I am in a well covered 4G area.

z06psi

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Third day with this phone and absolutely no reboots and no battery issues. Heavy internet use and calls and after 14 hours I still have 25% left on battery. Guess I got a good one.....lightyears ahead of my Tour and I will not be going back anytime soon to BB.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo