old timer, loving this phone again

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
i've had the Verizon G2 since launch day and i've been overall happy with it, although my battery life lately has been really bad (~6 hrs of light use, phone constantly running warm). i've been putting off a complete format, especially since i formatted it when the last big software update came out.

i finally bit the bullet and formatted last night. what a HUGE difference! it's like night and day - the phone battery finally runs what people in the forum are claiming. phone also no longer is running hot.

i am going to be very careful about what applications i install next. the main battery suckers are coincidentally the ones i use most (facebook app, facebook messenger, whatsapp), but i will install them one by one to see which one causes the most trouble.

merry christmas! :D

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Probably Facebook App, Facebook Messenger and Whatsapp. They're all big battery suckers. :)

For apps like that you need a phone you can swap batteries in. Usually 2 batteries and an external (out of the phone) charger run about $25, but you can't do that with a G2 - one of the main reasons I didn't get one.

RepairLync

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
Awesome, thanks for the confirmation - my battery life is a joke now too and have to charge it in the late afternoon, then again overnight. I'll try reformatting to save the battery too.

I do agree that it's also unfortunate for the non-removable battery. :-(

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
My battery life was pretty bad, too. I still have FB app installed but stopped all notifications and syncing. I also stopped "chatheads" in FB Messenger. Stopped all G+ notifications and reset Play Services. I'm now getting similar battery life I used to get with my MAXX HD (12-14hrs with 4hr screen on time) with wifi and location kept on (high accuracy, too). A factory reset solved the problem initially but it reverted back to old once i installed all my apps again. Doing the above fixed it.

Powerplaygraphix

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
DEFINITELY turning off all notifications from FB and the stupid chatheads in FBM makes a big difference. Basically turning ALL "syncing" apps and push notifications off except when prompted. Regular texting is pretty much the ONLY push notification I have now. Email, Hangouts, FB, G+, EVERYTHING else is purely sync when I launch the app and stop when I turn it off. I also have all the "launch at boot up" crap turned off. There is NO app other than the regular texting, that I need to know ANYTHING from until I launch it. Another drainer is FoxFi. It really drains the battery even when it's supposedly off. It creates a VPN and leaves it open all the time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non