Crooked Verizon employee

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Sorry. ..this is long! Please let me know what you think I should do.
I called Verizon last week because I was having some basic issue with my email account and needed help setting it up manually. I had forgotten the proper easy to set it up with the imap and that sort of stuff. Spoke to a lady who knew nothing.. and they had said she was the next tier of tech support! Instead of helping me to properly set up my email she just wanted me to wipe my phone! I said no way! I asked to speak to someone else who could help me to properly set up my email and she got offended. She kept insisting it was an aol issue. I told her aol was working perfectly fine on my iPad and computer but she insisted on hanging up with me and calling aol tech support. Said she would call me back. Less than 3 minutes later she calls ball (how did she get ahold of any tech support that quickly? ) and says she has aol tech support on the line. The suposed aol
Tech asks for only my home phone #...then he immediately exclaimed "your account is compromised! Your account has been hacked! I will need some information from you! " I'm getting a bad feeling about this so I tell him I need to go and will call back later. I ask for a phone # and he gives one.. .at which point the Verizon tech says "no that's not the right number" so then she rattles off a different number. I tell her I don't believe this was a real aol tech and that I will contact aol myself. She says OK and that she would call me back (never did of course). So I call aol who assures me this was my first call and that my account was fine! They tell me this is a scam and wanted to know who gave me that bogus phone number. I tell them Verizon and they're of course astounded as I am! So after resetting passwords etc for both my aol and my Verizon account I call Verizon back. Tell a different person about what has happened. She says a supervisor will contact me. Never happened! Why won't Verizon take this seriously!? One of they're employees gave me to bogus aol tech support! Supposedly he was going to tell me my account was hacked and try to sell me a security suite! This pisses me off but I'm getting no response from Verizon re this inept employee! I have her name but no one will call me back! Any ideas? Wish I
had a phone number for corporate offices!

Sent from my VS950 4G using Android
Central Forums

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Sorry. ..this is long! Please let me know what you think I should do.
I called Verizon last week because I was having some basic issue with my email account and needed help setting it up manually. I had forgotten the proper easy to set it up with the imap and that sort of stuff. Spoke to a lady who knew nothing.. and they had said she was the next tier of tech support! Instead of helping me to properly set up my email she just wanted me to wipe my phone! I said no way! I asked to speak to someone else who could help me to properly set up my email and she got offended. She kept insisting it was an aol issue. I told her aol was working perfectly fine on my iPad and computer but she insisted on hanging up with me and calling aol tech support. Said she would call me back. Less than 3 minutes later she calls ball (how did she get ahold of any tech support that quickly? ) and says she has aol tech support on the line. The suposed aol
Tech asks for only my home phone #...then he immediately exclaimed "your account is compromised! Your account has been hacked! I will need some information from you! " I'm getting a bad feeling about this so I tell him I need to go and will call back later. I ask for a phone # and he gives one.. .at which point the Verizon tech says "no that's not the right number" so then she rattles off a different number. I tell her I don't believe this was a real aol tech and that I will contact aol myself. She says OK and that she would call me back (never did of course). So I call aol who assures me this was my first call and that my account was fine! They tell me this is a scam and wanted to know who gave me that bogus phone number. I tell them Verizon and they're of course astounded as I am! So after resetting passwords etc for both my aol and my Verizon account I call Verizon back. Tell a different person about what has happened. She says a supervisor will contact me. Never happened! Why won't Verizon take this seriously!? One of they're employees gave me to bogus aol tech support! Supposedly he was going to tell me my account was hacked and try to sell me a security suite! This pisses me off but I'm getting no response from Verizon re this inept employee! I have her name but no one will call me back! Any ideas? Wish I
had a phone number for corporate offices!

Sent from my VS950 4G using Android
Central Forums

If this really happened then I wouldn't bother calling. I would go to a Verizon store immediately and talk to a manager there, apparently phone calls don't work. If a manager refuses to talk to you in a store, just make it clear that a Verizon employee on the phone was trying to scam you and get a hold of your account. If the manager or store supervisor was smart they would make sure to talk to you so that you don't keep ranting where other customers can hear you. Don't forget, all of those conversations you had with Verizon and AOL are recorded for security purposes so all they would have to do is go back and listen.

I hope that you go the name of the woman who did this as well as the "fake" AOL tech support person.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
If this really happened then I wouldn't bother calling. I would go to a Verizon store immediately and talk to a manager there, apparently phone calls don't work. If a manager refuses to talk to you in a store, just make it clear that a Verizon employee on the phone was trying to scam you and get a hold of your account. If the manager or store supervisor was smart they would make sure to talk to you so that you don't keep ranting where other customers can hear you. Don't forget, all of those conversations you had with Verizon and AOL are recorded for security purposes so all they would have to do is go back and listen.

I hope that you go the name of the woman who did this as well as the "fake" AOL tech support person.

I did.. .got the Verizon employees name anyways. The aol employee was not legit, so that wasn't recorded. I'm sure a fake aol employee would never give me a real name anyways. BTW I did finally get a call from a supervisor at Verizon corporate level a bout an hour ago. He is taking care of things on verizons end. I'm very GLAD everything is recorded. ..I hope someone takes the time to listen! Oh and yes.. .this did REALLY happen! Beware. .there are crooked people everywhere. Its up to us , the consumer to protect our information!

Sent from my VS950 4G using Android Central Forums

tuppaacc

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I work in a verizon store, ive worked on (over the phone) customer service for a long time and let me tell you something
In alot of situations when it comes to dealing with third party software alot of the reps dont really wanna help because WE DONT GET ANY TRAINING so if we have to we will use google and we will give the first AOL number that we find. Next time you find yourself in the same situation and you see that the rep is an idiot just hang up and try another rep, becuase about 90% of verizon tech support is FACTORY RESET if that doesnt work REPLACE THE PHONE Thats it!

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I work in a verizon store, ive worked on (over the phone) customer service for a long time and let me tell you something
In alot of situations when it comes to dealing with third party software alot of the reps dont really wanna help because WE DONT GET ANY TRAINING so if we have to we will use google and we will give the first AOL number that we find. Next time you find yourself in the same situation and you see that the rep is an idiot just hang up and try another rep, becuase about 90% of verizon tech support is FACTORY RESET if that doesnt work REPLACE THE PHONE Thats it!

But that hasn't been my experience! Thus was a situation where I needed help manually setting up my email account! This is not a situation to reset a phone I had just gotten the day prior! It was ridiculous! I DO believe now that she must have just googled the number for aol , but that is still bad news for Verizon if the employees are exposing the customer to fraudulent activity and identity theft! There is no excuse for that! If someone on your end dies does a 3 way call and tells a customer this is aol tech support, we tend to believe them! In my case I did hang up.. .I didn't fall for it, but this bad employee needs to learn this is not the proper way to treat a long time Verizon customer! She should have spoken up & said something!

Sent from my VS950 4G using Android Central Forums