Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Battery Drain

anon(819941)

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Funny, I keep trying things and have found that the problem often fixes itself after shutting down the phone and removing the battery briefly.

Once I do that, the Android os entry in the battery settings section is actually REDUCING the time awake figure... Every time I check, the time awake value is one or two minutes less...

Something is definitely not right here...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I wish I had ideas. Everything everyone has ever said try doesnt work. WiFi is even flaky on this device. After a restart its all good but after a while it seems to get slower and slower. It even seems the graphics in some of the games i play get slower to where its stutter moving instead of being smooth. Shame since this is suppose to be a better video chip than older devices but yet the Note 2 moved so much smoother.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Screenshot_2013-12-02-07-08-28.jpgScreenshot_2013-12-02-07-09-11.jpg
Here is what my battery stats look like. Its pretty bad considering after the time unplugged on the note 2 I would have well over 3 hours of on screen time, more close to 4, that what I'm getting out of the Note 3. I refuse to turn down settings that I didn't have to on an older device just to get more battery. I shouldn't have to compromise. I paid for a "better" device that was more updated and everything. That is what I expected to get.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-12-02-07-08-28.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-12-02-07-08-28.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 103

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Those of you with no index problem, do you have an sd card? Did you copy anything on to your sd card from an outside source?

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3

anon(819941)

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... I have copied a few videos from my Pc via the USB cable... Is that relevant, recDNA?

I just checked and I copied the files on the 29th, but the problem Was there before I think.

In any case, if that Is the problem, what do we do? remove the files? the Card? any ideas?

anon(819941)

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Here are my stats... After closely monitoring things, I think the problem starts again after charging. I can remove the battery and see the Android service stop behaving crazy, but after I charge again, things go wrong again.

a2erupa4.jpg

So yes, only 14 hours on a charge and already below 50%... Specially bad if more than six hours there are with wifi and mobile data off over night. It is clear that the kernel is staying awake way more than it should for no apparent reason.

6yna8u9e.jpg

Finally, here's my graph, over night consumption is insane!

hyjyquza.jpg

anon(819941)

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Seems like removing the SD card did have an effect, but I can't understand what it is yet.

While the card was removed, the phone was acting normally. I thought I would then be able to reproduce the problem as soon as I put the card back in. However, the problem is not there anymore apparently... Sort of. It seems Android os is not aggressively waking up all the time, but Android system is now way more demanding than usual.

a4affi

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello. I just got the same problem. Using Galaxy Note 3 since last month .. I disnt faced any problem with the battery. Infact it was giving me more that 16 hours after unplugged. But since yesterday the battery is draining like concord. I unplugged my mobile 6:00PM with the 100% of charge and now it is 11:35PM and the batter is in 67% right now and remains only 4 Hours 50 Minutes.
And on the battery setting the Android OS is working on 40% while it was on 18% maximum before yesterday.

On 67% remaining charge it use to give me atleast 10 hours. Dont know whats the peoblem. Thinking to reset the phone today.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a note 3. The only thing that works for me is to force stop index service every time I reboot. Charging has no effect. It seems index service comes on after every restart and unless I force close it it just keeps running and draining the battery.

bassjo

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm not having a problem with excessive battery drainage but I empathize with you guys. The battery on my old Galaxy Nexus drained like a mother. However, with NFC on, bluetooth on, listening to music, playing games, checking emails, social media, texting, etc... After 18.5 hours I've still got 32% left.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

anon(819941)

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Well , I have tried many things and nothing seems to work . Effects are temporary at best . I have installed BBS and wake lock detector and have unlocked that in my case it's all about nlpwake lock .

For some reason , every night nlp wake locks start running and don't allow the phone to go into deep sleep . that can take several hours and only seems to stop with a restart.

From that point on , things go back to normal and I get the usual battery life through the day . then , at night the story repeats itself.

Uninstalling certain apparently offending apps like G+ or Keep has not worked , nor disabling location services .

I am completely lost at this stage , frustrated because I loved The amazing battery life I had and , while still above average , it really annoys me to have a chunk of it wasted over night for no reason .

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I tried deleting all the pdf files from my sd card. I tried a different sd card. I tried formatting card in phone. Index service still drains battery unless I force stop it. I don't think I should have to force stop an app every time I reboot!

If I force stop index service and my games before bed my battery only drains 6% in 9 hours connected to wifi.

anon(819941)

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Well , I have tried many more things and, for the first time in many days , I had normal battery behavior over night yesterday .

I am happy but not too sure the problem is gone . Will continue to monitor it and see if I finally managed to fix it .

Cautiously optimistic !!

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
One thing I noticed causing a high drain is there is a wake lock associated with the radio and cellular signal if you hook up to wifi the wake lock disappears. Not sure how much that help but hopefully it helps some

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Indexing and media service audio out are the two biggest offenders. Get rid of the sd card and turn off games force stop after use takes care of it. Then there's Google services and kernel.

anon(819941)

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
All your work will disappear after next restart

That hasn't been the case for me, but even if it was, I can live with that. I don't restart often and I know that if Google services go crazy, it gets fixed with a reboot.

I finally found what my problem was: the alarm. I was using timely and it simply runs mu phone crazy, won't let it deep sleep. I am trying other alarms now, experimenting, but so far so good, battery life as good as always.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
do you have an sd card? if so doesn't index service drain battery?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

anon(819941)

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
No, not at all... I have seen others complain about that, but never seen the problem myself. I have a 32GB sd card, by the way.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87