What is causing these ads? (These apps may suit your taste:)

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
This pops up after installing anything from the Google play store. Even normal updates make it pop up. This was especially annoying since it covers up my off button on my alarm and won't go away until I hit cancel. I'm thinking it is caused by the newly updated Google Play Store 5.3.6. I've looked all through running apps on my Rooted Galaxy S4 and can't find what it is. I've frozen many apps with Titanium Backup Pro. I used AdWare to find all adware "infected" apps and froze every one that popped up on the AdWare results. Still keeps doing it. Please help! This is maddening! :(
2015_03_23_08.20.14.jpg

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central. Edit: answered my own question.

Second edit: Updated to 5.3.6 and I did not get the same thing.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Please help me confirm this. I am 99% sure it was Go SMS. I've been using this app for years! Sure enough, it updated 2 days ago. Once uninstalled, I no longer have those popups post install of any apps. If this is the offender, I plan on filing a complaint with Google Play and submit it to AdWare and all other ad block programs.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Didn't happen for me. But, I am on an M8 with a custom ROM. That might be a factor as to why I'm not seeing it.

Since it started after the update, and stopped after the uninstall, I would be inclined to agree that Go SMS is the culprit. Occam's razor.

From an AOSP M8

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Take a look at the recent reviews on the Go SMS Pro app on Google Play. Every other review is complaining about the same problem. I am recommending everyone stay away from Go SMS Pro in the future. So sad I will never get my money back for purchasing this app years ago. Thanks a lot GoDev Team!

brownidj

Mar 24, 2015
Visit site
Removed Go SMS Pro and sanity was restored... Can't use the said app on a Nexus 7 since Kit Kat anyhow, so no real loss. But it kills me that any developer would think that popups like that were a good idea.

Marco Freire

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, it's all the GO apps. I'm using GO Launcher Z. They updated it from the EX version recently and it comes with their own Application Center and this wonderful popups... GO is getting greedy and forcing us this crap... I used GO apps for years now but I think it's time to look somewhere else.

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
To generically answer the question of what is causing these ads - it is the idiots that buy things off those ads. If nobody responded to the ads, the advertisers would not keep finding ways to force them on people.