"None" option not available under Lock screen settings

Brian Wagner

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I have a VZW S4 and in the settings, under lock screen, there is no option to not have a lock screen. The other options are available except none. This interferes with me being able to download third party lock screens from Google Play and enabling them because I then have to go through 2 lock screens when opening the phone because I can't disable the stock lock screen. Any fixes for this that I can try? Any feedback/help is greatly appreciated

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Is there anything in your Device Administrators (in the Settings) that might be enforcing secure lockscreens? Like Android Pay or Exchange accounts? If so, unless you disable them (thus, effectively being unable to use them in your phone) you can't have an unsecure lockscreen.

I've seen some people have a similar issue and I believe they cleared it by clearing data on the Settings (Application Manager, All tab, Settings, Clear Data) BUT I'm not sure if this takes all settings to their default values (not a big deal but might be unexpected).

Brian Wagner

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I do have Android Pay enabled so I already know about that , but it was happening before I enabled Android Pay. I was not aware of the problem Exchange accounts could create. I have my college email setup through the stock email app which is an exchange account. I have another email client (Type Mail) with my college email, as well as my GMail and Yahoo setup in it. So if I disable the stock app it won't affect my other email client with email synching will it?

Brian Wagner

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Is there anything in your Device Administrators (in the Settings) that might be enforcing secure lockscreens? Like Android Pay or Exchange accounts? If so, unless you disable them (thus, effectively being unable to use them in your phone) you can't have an unsecure lockscreen.

I've seen some people have a similar issue and I believe they cleared it by clearing data on the Settings (Application Manager, All tab, Settings, Clear Data) BUT I'm not sure if this takes all settings to their default values (not a big deal but might be unexpected).

Do you think there is a good chance it will log me out of all my accounts? I know you said you weren't sure but it be kind of a pain to have to re-log into everything saved under accounts in settings.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I do have Android Pay enabled so I already know about that , but it was happening before I enabled Android Pay. I was not aware of the problem Exchange accounts could create. I have my college email setup through the stock email app which is an exchange account. I have another email client (Type Mail) with my college email, as well as my GMail and Yahoo setup in it. So if I disable the stock app it won't affect my other email client with email synching will it?

It depends. Not all Exchange accounts enforce this (mostly just corporate accounts). If that would be the case, the Exchange account would appear as a Device Administrator. In theory, if the Exchange account enforces this, no matter what app you use, it would ask to add itself as an administrator or it wouldn't let you configure/use it.

As for the account log out... not sure. It shouldn't as the Account section is separate from the general phone settings, so I believe it would only (worst case scenario) turn everything back to default. BUT if you selected to do so and Settings are backed up to your Google Account, it should, in theory, just re-sync and re-apply whatever you had, minus the bugs.

You can always try to clear cache first (if available).

I remember someone saying that they changed their lockscreen method and it suddenly made NONE available (like going from PIN to Pattern).

Sgooter

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Just discovered that I can't disable my lock screen. I set up the lock screen password long ago and use it all the time, but this evening I needed to temporarily disable it and surprise...my S4 won't let me disable the lock screen! The usual lock screen option of "None" is grayed out on my phone (running on Lollipop). AFAIK, I'm not using any services or apps that could otherwise be causing this. I also tried disabling Android Device Manager, but the lock screen still would not disable. Quite puzzling, but not a serious problem. Anyone know of a fix for this?