Free line w/grandfathered data, but on an iphone 4, suggestions?

rckclmber75

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I have been offered use of a Verizon line that was established in June on an iPhone 4 with unlimited data and I would like some ideas. I do not like iOS and I do not want anything to do with apple. From what I've researched on AC, I can go out and purchase another phone (like say a Thunderbolt off eBay for $150-175) and simply activate IT on the line, setting the iPhone aside for the original user to sell, or reinstate if/when the line needs to be returned. I am currently a Sprint user, but live in an area where wimax doesn't exist, but LTE does. Verizon 3G speeds are...well, .7-1.4Mbps is what it is and LTE 7-14Mbps is what it is, I don't need to explain why I'd rather have a 4G enabled phone.

My request from the peanut gallery is WHICH phone, along with the TB should I be seriously considering that falls into the same spec/quality realm (not looking for a physical keyboard)? About $300 is my cap. I don't think any phone is worth more than that, when I am willing to wait a little while for it to drop in price.

I don't know much at ALL about Verizon-based phones, because for the last 13 years I've been with Sprint, so I was hoping you folks could help point me in a clearer direction for research.

Gracias...

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: Free line w/grandfathered data, but on an iphone 4, suggestio

If the person is offering it free, take the iPhone 4, sell it, and then get a better phone than the Tbolt.

Swallow the pride and do that instead.

rckclmber75

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

The iphone isn't mine to sell. Hense why I asked the question and gave the info about the line and iPhone I did in the original post.

Either I use the iP4 with all its 3G and iOS glory, or buy a different phone off-contract and give the iP back to its owner.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

1 HTC Rezound
2. Droid RAZR
3. Droid BIONIC

Any of these would be great.

rckclmber75

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

1 HTC Rezound
2. Droid RAZR
3. Droid BIONIC

Any of these would be great.

Because the iP4 was just purchased for the account in June, I must buy a phone "off-contract". With that said, the Bionic is the only one remotely close to what I am willing to spend, but the reports I've read discuss problems I would become tired of very quickly.

I think I was more wondering about the Tbolt, vs Charge, vs Revolution (don't want the slide-out keyboard of the stratosphere). I recently found a comparison of these last 3 and it seemed that the Tbolt was the best of the three if the battery issue was resolved (which, from what I've found here, using the Rezound battery fixes that).

I'd be willing to go less expensive now to utilize LTE, then upgrade to the Rezound when it takes it's value hit in a few months.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

Because the iP4 was just purchased for the account in June, I must buy a phone "off-contract". With that said, the Bionic is the only one remotely close to what I am willing to spend, but the reports I've read discuss problems I would become tired of very quickly.

I think I was more wondering about the Tbolt, vs Charge, vs Revolution (don't want the slide-out keyboard of the stratosphere). I recently found a comparison of these last 3 and it seemed that the Tbolt was the best of the three if the battery issue was resolved (which, from what I've found here, using the Rezound battery fixes that).

I'd be willing to go less expensive now to utilize LTE, then upgrade to the Rezound when it takes it's value hit in a few months.

All three of those devices are 6 months old and honestly I have a hard time recommending any of them. Battery life is poor and there is serious question as to weather they will get ICS. If they do it wont be for quite a while.

I would agree that the TBolt is the best of the three, but you will pretty much have to get the extended life battery for it.

If you are waiting for the price to drop though, while the subsidized prices will drop the full retail price almost never does at least not by much.

Obviously it's your call and if you get one of the three you mentioned I recommend the Thunderbolt.

Reactions: rckclmber75

rckclmber75

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

All three of those devices are 6 months old and honestly I have a hard time recommending any of them. Battery life is poor and there is serious question as to weather they will get ICS. If they do it wont be for quite a while.

I would agree that the TBolt is the best of the three, but you will pretty much have to get the extended life battery for it.

If you are waiting for the price to drop though, while the subsidized prices will drop the full retail price almost never does at least not by much.

Obviously it's your call and if you get one of the three you mentioned I recommend the Thunderbolt.

I've read on here that the Rezound battery, which is 1620 vs 1400mA, can be a direct replacement in the Tbolt and that people are experiencing widespread success using it.

My thoughts on the Rezound price coming down is more regarding people discarding them when something more "wiz-bang"is released and me grabbing a used one. I mean, the Tbolt was $600 when released and can be had for $170 right now. You won't ever find me spending $500-600 for a phone, they just don't carry the enough value or longevity for me.:D

Thanks for the suggestion.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

I've read on here that the Rezound battery, which is 1620 vs 1400mA, can be a direct replacement in the Tbolt and that people are experiencing widespread success using it.

My thoughts on the Rezound price coming down is more regarding people discarding them when something more "wiz-bang"is released and me grabbing a used one. I mean, the Tbolt was $600 when released and can be had for $170 right now. You won't ever find me spending $500-600 for a phone, they just don't carry the enough value or longevity for me.:D

Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes I too have been following the threads with the Rezound battery in the TBolt. I did the same think last year with my Droid Incredible and the HTC Imagado battery.

The Rezound likely wont see a proce drop for quite a while HTC isn't Motorola releasing a new device on VZW every month or so they only do a couple a year and that is usually when the priced drop. I'm predicting spring sometime but as I said full retail pricing does not drop when the subsidy does.

Let us know what you decide to get :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana