FierceWireless: Verizon will kill 'grandfathered' unlimited data

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Verizon will kill 'grandfathered' unlimited data plans, push users to data share

Verizon Wireless (NYSE:VZ) plans to eliminate the $30 per month unlimited data plan that it still provides to 3G customers who were "grandfathered" into the plan because they were data customers prior to the company's switch to tiered data pricing last July. Speaking at the 40th J.P. Morgan Technology, Media and Telecom conference, Verizon Communications CFO Fran Shammo said that as these 3G unlimited data plan customers migrate to 4G LTE, they will have to purchase the company's data-share plan (which Verizon plans to launch in mid-summer) and move off the $30 per month unlimited data plan. "Everyone will be on data share," Shammo said.

My assumptions from this article -

• This would only affect smartphone customers who use 3G phones, not 4G LTE - for now
  • If an 3G unlimited data customer doesn't upgrade to a 4G device before this takes into effect, they won't have an option to have a 4G LTE unlimited data plan.

Update:

Just some clarification. When these new data plans launch, the only way to lose unlimited data is if you upgrade your line and sign a new contract.

Last edited:

3rdpig

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: FierceWireless: Verizon will kill 'grandfathered' unlimited d

I knew this was coming sooner or later. Most people won't care and to be honest I'm not sure I do either considering my typical data usage is 2-3 GB's per month. I'll still going to complain when it happens, but only because I think it's good for VZ to hear from their customers when they do this kind of stuff. But it's not like I'll be switching, VZ is the only game in town for the areas I travel. That and the corporate discount my GF gets will keep me with them.

But I wonder how many people are staying with VZ only because of that grandfathered unlimited data account? Might be fun to see a few million people leave en mass for Sprint.

eklisiewicz

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Verizon will kill 'grandfathered' unlimited d

If my 3G family members upgrade now to 4G handsets, will they be allowed to keep their unlimited data plans like I was when I upgraded back in January?

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

Verizon will kill 'grandfathered' unlimited data plans, push users to data share

My assumptions from this article -

• This would only affect smartphone customers who use 3G phones, not 4G LTE - for now
  • If an 3G unlimited data customer doesn't upgrade to a 4G device before this takes into effect, they won't have an option to have a 4G LTE unlimited data plan.

Interesting... it does sound like those that already have LTE phones with grandfathered unlimited data will not be affected (yet); more from the article:

When asked how Verizon will drive customers to this new data share plan, Shammo said that LTE will be the anchor for the new plan and that as customers upgrade from 3G to LTE, they will have to be on a data share plan, allowing the company to sunset its unlimited 3G data plan. "A lot of our 3G base is on unlimited," Shammo said. "When they migrate off 3G they will have to go to data share.

I knew this was coming sooner or later. Most people won't care and to be honest I'm not sure I do either considering my typical data usage is 2-3 GB's per month. I'll still going to complain when it happens, but only because I think it's good for VZ to hear from their customers when they do this kind of stuff. But it's not like I'll be switching, VZ is the only game in town for the areas I travel. That and the corporate discount my GF gets will keep me with them.

But I wonder how many people are staying with VZ only because of that grandfathered unlimited data account? Might be fun to see a few million people leave en mass for Sprint.

I'm in a similar boat with data usage, corporate discount and Verizon having the best coverage where I live, so I'm not going anywhere. But I still wouldn't want to lose grandfathered unlimited data. It's nice to not have to worry about overages on that rare occasion I do use a lot of data. Not to mention it would feel like losing a bit of a perk for being an early adopter of their first LTE phone. :)

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site

I'm just thinking of all the iPhone users VZW is going to drive to other carriers. My wife has an iPhone and she loves it and has no desire to get an Android or move to 4G. Since we may be forced to do this, I hope VZW is willing to let us terminate early with NO fee.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Unlimited data is going away - everywhere.

I'd propose that unlimited data ends for all customers when their contract is up or if they renew.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Jowlah

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/05/1...going-away-all-users-pushed-onto-shared-data/

Now Droid Life is reporting the same thing. I am interested in seeing how this plays out, since I am on a family plan with Mom and my Grandmother. This could get expensive. And Verizon still remains untouched because of their coverage. I feel that at some point, EVERY carrier is going this route at some point.

One Radical Dude

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

If this means everyone that's grandfathered into unlimited even with LTE devices will be converted to tiered data, I will certainly cancel my service and just get pre-paid. I seriously hope there's a backlash against this whole thing. This can't be legal.

Reactions: Issemann

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I could live without unlimited data but the price would need to be significantly less. I don't know if I could accept being forced off my unlimited data plan and be asked to pay the same amount per month. Especially if its under 10 GB of data which we know it will be. 5 would be the minimum I'd accept as that was the soft cap. But even that's not acceptable but I'd make do as I wouldn't go over my limit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I think that it is funny how Verizon is like here is a formula 1 race car but you only get a gallon of gas... Good luck getting very far.

That's what I was thinking. I have this fast phone that can at this moment provide me with unlimited data and even a hotspot for a fee. My tablet runs on this for Netflix a lot and the data cap will be screwed up as I can easily use 25 GB a month. Video uses a lot sadly, but that's why i paid the fee. Only did this once though, but I won't be paying a hotspot fee if i can't use it as I want while on the go.

Reactions: kristina31519

cvette93

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

I could live without unlimited data but the price would need to be significantly less. I don't know if I could accept being forced off my unlimited data plan and be asked to pay the same amount per month. Especially if its under 10 GB of data which we know it will be. 5 would be the minimum I'd accept as that was the soft cap. But even that's not acceptable but I'd make do as I wouldn't go over my limit.

I kind of agree with you. They should give us 10GB. I would probably only max at 7 but I would feel safe. If they make it 5GB then it will kill Google's streaming service. I stream music all day at work and get about 6GB per month.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site

Once Verizon does this, I'm using it as them breaking my contract(So I won't have to pay the ETF) and jumping ship to GSM. I refuse have my wallet abused further by a dumb pipe(who doesn't want to be a dumb pipe).

Reactions: kristina31519

cvette93

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

That's what I was thinking. I have this fast phone that can at this moment provide me with unlimited data and even a hotspot for a fee. My tablet runs on this for Netflix a lot and the data cap will be screwed up as I can easily use 25 GB a month. Video uses a lot sadly, but that's why i paid the fee. Only did this once though, but I won't be paying a hotspot fee if i can't use it as I want while on the go. .

I would have to get a second job to pay the amount of money they would charge for 25GB per month.

cvette93

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

Once Verizon does this, I'm using it as them breaking my contract(So I won't have to pay the ETF) and jumping ship to GSM. I refuse have my wallet abused further by a dumb pipe(who doesn't want to be a dumb pipe).

I agree completely. Seems that GSM companies get better phones anyways. (HTC One series)

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't have 3G here (and it would have been far more than a 2 hour drive, each direction, to get into one), so I just bought one on eBay for about $400 (including overnight shipping). T-Mobile told me I could stop by and "look" at their display models and ask as many questions as I wanted. No thanks.

Has anyone else picked up a G1? If so, where and how much? Are you using it yet? I can't wait for mine to arrive :)

Great, but I live just south of Chicago and GSM carriers drop calls a lot more than Verizon. I wish it was a simple fix but I'd rather have service everywhere than switch.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I just called customer service. Said I will not lose my unlimited data plan when I upgrade. Had her note this conversation cause if I do...am gone

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Reactions: pennerp88

Super_Mario

Banned
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I just called customer service. Said I will not lose my unlimited data plan when I upgrade. Had her note this conversation cause if I do...am gone

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Because it's only been mentioned but not implemented, I'm sure if they change their policy, a note on your account won't count for nothing.

dms76

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

I just talked to customer service and like anything Verizon does, they have no idea. It's probably going to be a different answer each time you call.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
While I don't use a ton of data, the unlimited gives me peace of mind. Not that I'm going anywhere, but I hope people already on LTE can keep the unlimited for awhile.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty