Vzw hates that you have unlimited data

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
We have 2 smartphones & a dumb phone. We never come close to going over minutes or texts and use less than a gig of data... but the VZW Rep suggested we upgrade before the new shared data plans took effect. If we didn't our monthly bill would've gone up $50-$60. For us it was less about keeping unlimited data and more about saving money.

Your bill would have gone up because you would have had to switch to tiered individual data, not necessarily a Share Everything plan, right?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
It's called parenting.

Oh and how's that any different than teenagers that go over minute allotment? Or their texting package?

Well I have unlimited texting and we never come close on minutes because the kids text so much. I pay $20 for unlimited texting for all five lines....not per line, but one $20 charge for all lines. That is a charge I can deal with but the New data prices are ridiculous.

--------------------------------------------------
There is a clause in the contract which specifically states any systematized transmission indicating a possible intelligent origin must be investigated. --Ash

Voice-Guy

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Right now we're paying $120 (before taxes and work discount) for 2 smartphones with unlimited data & 250 texts each sharing 700 minutes with a dumb phone. Under the new shared plan it'd be $40 per Droid + $30 dumb phone + $70 for 4 GB data = $180.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Right now we're paying $120 (before taxes and work discount) for 2 smartphones with unlimited data & 250 texts each sharing 700 minutes with a dumb phone. Under the new shared plan it'd be $40 per Droid + $30 dumb phone + $70 for 4 GB data = $180.

I'm assuming you both stay under 2GB. As existing customers, you have the option to go to tiered data, not Share Everything.

Reactions: fofjjsr

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site

This is my exact same setup. It's a rip off

Sent from my unrooted DInc2 via Tapatalk

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm assuming you both stay under 2GB. As existing customers, you have the option to go to tiered data, not Share Everything.

I get to at least 3 each month by myself. So 4gig plan would be cutting it close. I was trying to explain this to the vzw guy and his answer was "this is just phase one, we'll see what happens"
Sent from my unrooted DInc2 via Tapatalk

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
These plans are really designed to look ok to those who had high minutes and unlimited text. If you were like me who had one of the lowest minute plans on our family account and did not use it much then the new share everything is net great as currently constituted.

I personally would love a share everything plan for what I am currently paying for each of our 4GB smart phones and tablet. Between all of our devices we currently have 16 GB. But the highest share everything stops at 10GB?!? I don't get this at all. I know you can buy additional GB, but the plan should continue up to at least 14GB.

Personally I will wait and see if Verizon makes any changes to the plan in the next few months. If not when our family plan is up in about 16 months we will shop around. I have no loyalty to any phone company I have been with 3 different companies several times. Very easy to switch - if you keep all your lines close to the same renewal date. All of ours renew on the same day. Right when Amazon will do their thanksgiving $.01 deals for new lines - so probably will be off to a new company unless Verizon gives me a reason to stay.

kritterbell

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I had a talk with Verizon about why they are getting rid of unlimited and this is what they said... now this does make a lot of sense.. There are some users that was hoarding the unlimited. In ways that was really way out there. People like this was making it to were it was cluddering up the towers and all of us normal people that are not GB hoarders was not getting the quality service we deserved. I have changed from the unlimited to shared and with 3 Smartphones I am saving 80-100 a month... Some people this is a blessing. Depends on if you save money. With Economy every little bit helps.:thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I had a talk with Verizon about why they are getting rid of unlimited and this is what they said... now this does make a lot of sense.. There are some users that was hoarding the unlimited. In ways that was really way out there. People like this was making it to were it was cluddering up the towers and all of us normal people that are not GB hoarders was not getting the quality service we deserved. I have changed from the unlimited to shared and with 3 Smartphones I am saving 80-100 a month... Some people this is a blessing. Depends on if you save money. With Economy every little bit helps.:thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

There's certainly some truth to that explanation. However, I'd rather VZW just handle it with their current throttling policy (for 3G only now) wherein they throttle those largest users when on 3G but only when the tower that the large user is on is congested. Having them slowly push unlimited users off their plans is annoying though; I'd imagine we'll see additional pushes to get unlimited users to tiered/shared data plans in the future.

Glad to hear someone is saving money with the new plans though!

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
So they consider over 3 gigs excessive and hoarding data?

The pricing of tiers does not reflect that excuse.

Throttle my $30 plan at 5 and I'd think I would be ok. But don't make me share that with my family.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

rustypixel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Called CS last evening just to get an average of my data usage and to find out what my highest usage was. The CS rep was fairly persistent about having me give up my unlimited for one of the new plans. While she wasn't pushy, she was definitely wanting me to drink the Kool-Aid and couldn't stop talking about how great the new plans are.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Would you prefer unlimited like AT&T and T-Mobile, once you hit your limit you get to drink through a very small straw? I think this will probably be happening anyway for congested towers sometime early next year.

Some people like the new plans - I have a friend who is moving to Verizon from his AT&T unlimited plan because he is tired of being throttled. He does not mind paying for the data. He has mapped out both plans and the new Verizon plans work best for what he needs.

mail4diop

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Actually what happened was two changes were trying to take place at the same time which the system will not allow. All the rep had to do was cancel the future dated plan change, order your replacement, and then place the future dated order plan back.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

aokusman1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Corporations don't "hate". They may be pressing their employees to move people out of unlimited data plans, but they're not forcing anyone out. And they probably never will. What they'll do when the time comes is just refuse to renew unlimited contracts. You'll either accept one of the new contracts or you'll find a new carrier.

I wish we could all get past the "evil corporation" BS. It's a business decision, nothing more and nothing less. Emotions like "hate" are all on our side. All the vitriol, all the name calling, it's all coming from the consumer, not from the corporation.

A lot of business decisions are evil.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

saultnutz

May 14, 2012
Visit site
"The problem with the New shared data plans is that they may be fine for a single person, maybe a couple, but add in teenagers that will burn thru data, especially once all phones are on 4g, and it will get expensive very quickly."

Yes, you are right, it will get expensive. Do you know why? BECAUSE WIRELESS DATA IS AN EXPENSIVE, PREMIUM PRODUCT!!! Why would you ever expect it to be cheap?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes, you are right, it will get expensive. Do you know why? BECAUSE WIRELESS DATA IS AN EXPENSIVE, PREMIUM PRODUCT!!! Why would you ever expect it to be cheap?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Seriously. Suppy/Demand. Not sure why people don't understand this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress