Help with several upgrade related questions

Scarab

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I have an original 3g Droid with the unlimited plan. My existing contract ended in April.
After 26 years being a loyal VZW customer, I'm tired of all their crap and would rather buy my own devices now and keep my options open. So I do not want to sign another long term contract because at some point I may decide to try another carrier.

My existing Droid is doing weird stuff (not responding to some touches and swipes,) and doesn't work well with all the summer humidity. I'd like to buy a another device to replace it, but keep the 3g unlimited plan I have. According to VZW I can buy a used Droid and simply activate it no charge but I'd like to know my other options.

If I buy an unlocked SGIII quad band or any other 4G capable device, will it work with the 3g plan in 3g mode?

I don't need or want 4G, nor a change to my existing plan. Will the device I buy force a mandatory change? Meaning do I have to buy a used or refurbished 3g device?

Thanks in advance for any input, ideas and guidance.

Cares

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm fairly certain you can buy a 4G device and change your plan to 4G unlimited data without hiccups.

Reactions: Ry

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
You can can purchase any Verizon capable device full retail or from a third party (BYOD "Bring Your Own Device"), and keep your plan including your unlimited data.

Scarab

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I felt stupid asking VZW that question because most I already spoke with had no clue. Go figure.

According to VZW chat, which I saved, I can buy the SGIII at $599 and go month to month, keeping my existing plan. That raises other question is still unanswered, but I'll check with N1Wireless or the other where I saw a Quad Band capable version. VZW didn't know if it would work on their network.

What I'm hoping is a quad band will allow me to finally leave VZW when I'm ready and continue to use the device on another network no matter the technology they have. A quad band apparently works on ATT, TMobile, etc.

The whole point of this is my freedom, no more 2 year contracts. I'm going with the least expensive month to month if I can get a quad band device to do what I'm hoping. Just tired of being bent over a barrel, all of the networks are exceptionally good and equal in my area now, so VZW can't play that card anymore, I'm done.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately quad and penta band GSM devices will NOT work on Verizon's network. Verzon and AT&T use a frequency range for LTE that no one else in the world uses. However if you purchase the Verizon version (or the fortcoming developer one) you should be able to do what you want if you leave since it supposedly supports GSM roaming. Its unclear weather they are SIM locked or unlocked however. If you leave Verizon on good terms you should have no problem getting them unlocked if they are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87