[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Unless I still don't understand how this schema works, in order to upgrade both phones and keep both lines unlimited, you'd need two new dumb lines.

One works, the second is just routed through the first.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Unless I still don't understand how this schema works, in order to upgrade both phones and keep both lines unlimited, you'd need two new dumb lines.

You can just get one additional phone for which you'd get a new smartphone. Then you could move the upgrades from the two unlimited phones to that new third line to get two more new smartphones. You could then sell one of the extra smartphones. Some have put a dummy EIN number on the third line to minimize monthly payments of holding that third line. Not sure if that is still the case though as Verizon seems to keep changing and clamping down on the rules. Or put a plain phone (perhaps one you have spare, or get on ebay or Amazon) that doesn't need data on it and give it to grandparents kids kids.

mozzarella72

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site

Ok so I am on the final steps and trying to activate the phone on my unlimited line but it says I need a new sim card. I called vzw twice but both CSRs said they can't clear it and I need to get a new sim...any ideas? I know people on here had their sims cleared

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

So how about this? Both my wife's and my lines are eligible for updates. If I get a new smartphone, activate it on her (dumb - sorry, honey) line, and then move to mine, whose update eligibility is gone: mine, hers, or both? What if a month later she wakes up and tells me she wants a newer phone, and, by all this moving around, I'd ruined her life?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

So how about this? Both my wife's and my lines are eligible for updates. If I get a new smartphone, activate it on her (dumb - sorry, honey) line, and then move to mine, whose update eligibility is gone: mine, hers, or both? What if a month later she wakes up and tells me she wants a newer phone, and, by all this moving around, I'd ruined her life?

If you use the upgrade from her line, it will be used regardless of where the phone ends up... You could always transfer yours to her later, should she need it.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Ok so I am on the final steps and trying to activate the phone on my unlimited line but it says I need a new sim card. I called vzw twice but both CSRs said they can't clear it and I need to get a new sim...any ideas? I know people on here had their sims cleared

Try a third or forth CSR. They can clear it, just takes someone that know how. Or sometimes it clears with time like 24hrs later. Or if you have another SIM perhaps from the phone currently on your unlimited account. Doesn't necessarily have to be a new one.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

If she has a dumb phone I don't think she has unlimited data. Even if you get a brand new smartphone at full retail price and put it on her phone I don't think it will have unlimited data on it. A third line would be used if both the original lines were smartphones with grandfathered unlimited data. If line #1 is a smartphone and line #2 is a dumb phone you might as well upgrade on line #2 and then move the new smartphone to line #1. You could then move the upgrade from line #1 to #2 for another upgrade but line #2 won't have unlimited data.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

What phone was on the line that you transferred the upgrade to and did the upgrade on? Was it the same phone you re-activated on that line to free up the new smart phone? What model phone do you have on your unlimited line and does it have a 4G SIM?

D4rkShaDoWz

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

So i've finally done it. I've activated on the other line and did the switcharoo. I checked online, it shows the Moto X as my phone and still says Unlimited. Am I in the clear? Never once did it say anything about removing unlimited and adding a 2GB plan

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

So i've finally done it. I've activated on the other line and did the switcharoo. I checked online, it shows the Moto X as my phone and still says Unlimited. Am I in the clear? Never once did it say anything about removing unlimited and adding a 2GB plan

Yes you are in the clear

Tapatalk mofo

BenjiMaxwell1

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site

Did you use an upgrade on an alternate line or transfer the upgrade from your unlimited line to the alternate line.

I used the upgrade on a basic phone line. When I took the phone in to a Verizon corporate store, the newly activated phone was on my grandfathered unlimited line. Luckily all I had to do was called Verizon and explained to them that my unlimited data should NOT of been replaced with the 2GB plan since I didn't technically renew by contact with a subsidized phone. They were very understanding and added the unlimited plan back to my plan in a matter of minutes. In hindsight, I probably could have switched the new phone back to the basic phone line before going into the Verizon store to do the exchange but everything worked out after a phone call.

Sent from my maguro using Tapatalk 4

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

How do I do that? Only option is see when I click add a line it takes me to new devices screen

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

You probably have a family share plan now. So just add a line for $10 plus taxes.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

On the family share plan the new line is $9.99 plus $30 for the data. After you switch it to a dumb phone you can drop the data.

What plan are you on?

boblittle

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

Any update from the people who received a confirmation email saying the upgrade was being processed for the unlimited line after trying to transfer an upgrade from an unlimited line to a dummy line? Did it end up working out?

dandirk

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site

My upgrade experience... Verizon kept my unlimited plan and I didn't even have to do anything! Amazed me since I was planning on returning my phone since I found out about this loophole after I got my phone.

WARNING DO NOT EXPECT THIS TO WORK, I THINK I GOT AN AWESOME CSR REP

My GF wanted to get a smartphone finally so, figured I should upgrade as well since I thought I had to do the crappy share everything plan if she upgraded which would cost $40 more just to give her internet with both of us using 4GB...

BEFORE:
4 line 1400 minute unlimited text Family Plan, 1 unlimited smartphone line, 3 feature phone lines. All 3 feature lines were due for upgrade, my smartphone line would have been due in Jan.

Again remember I thought I was just going to give in and go limited...

1. First I transferred an upgrade from one of the feature phones to my smartphone line since it was not due til Jan.
2. I ordered 2 HTC Ones one for my line and one for my GF line. Could have sworn it went through options for share everything plan change.
3. Received and started to activate phones... For both I was forwarded to a CSR rep during activation via phone #. The CSR kept asking me if I wanted to activate on my feature phone line (that I transfered the upgrade from) and I kept teller her no, my number (didn't know about this workaround and the feature phone is 2 hours away if anything happened). Finally was activated by CSR... A few hours later did the same to my GF lines, it also transferred the call to CSR which activated.]

4. Read up on other android/verizon related stuff and find out about unlimited loop... freak out that you made a mistake and thank heaven that it is within the 14 day return period to return phone and start over to keep unlimited (and in my case the family plan + 2 internet lines was cheaper then share everything).

5. Go into store and ask about adding a internet line to existing family plan instead of switching to share everything and if I would have to return phone to possibly keep unlimited and $10 a month savings of family plan.

6. See confused look on in-store rep... "You still have family plan and unlimited internet on your HTC one! Never seen that before!"

7. Ask to make sure it won't switch at next billing cycle (happens last day was yesterday)... Which response was the plans generally change online right when you activate... Also today is first day of new cycle and still have family and unlimited on my line.!

8. Leave store smiling that you don't have to return phone, pay restocking and wait for awesome HTC One to keep unlimited internet.

I am pretty sure the CSR when I activated helpped me out and activated on the dumb phone then moved it even though I didn't expressly ask for it. Though it could be possible that because I moved the upgrade from the dumb phone to my line before buying it auto did it???

boblittle

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

All of these success stories make me want to try this, but then speaking to Verizon reps scares me off.

I have an unlimited line with upgrade available, and a tiered line with no upgrade available. I did a transfer upgrade from unlimited line to tiered line, and continued to purchase a phone for the tiered line (keeping the existing 2GB data). Order Confirmation says the upgrade is for the unlimited line (nowhere in the order process was the unlimited line mentioned, except that I clicked Transfer Upgrade from that line).

I call Verizon, and they tell me that's how an alternate upgrade works, they really do the upgrade on the line that has upgrade eligibility (i.e. my unlimited line) and then move the phone to the line you are trying to upgrade. He then said my line would get a 2 year contract extension, and the data plan would change from unlimited to the 2GB plan, even though the order process never mentioned my unlimited line at all, and it's not the line the phone will be activated on.

I don't know if they're all instructed to lie, or if that's the way it really works now. Something seems to have changed in the last week as now the transfer-from line is shown as the upgrading line in the order confirmation. He told me the only way I can keep the unlimited on the line I transferred the upgrade from is to cancel the order and buy a full priced phone.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

I've got a simple question: does the eligible contract upgrade at 18 months cost the same as at 24 months? Or is there a special pro rata applied to the former?

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

I've got a simple question: does the eligible contract upgrade at 18 months cost the same as at 24 months? Or is there a special pro rata applied to the former?

There is one upgrade price. Upgrades are now at 24 months. You used to be able to upgrade at 20 months on a 2 year contract. If you are out of contract I have heard of Verizon offering a discount you get you back in contact.

Sent from my maguro using Tapatalk 4

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Verizon did away with 20 month upgrades. Now, the upgrade is aligned with the contract end date.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

aneftp

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site

Confused (sorta).

I see the transfer upgrade option on my unlimited data line (line 1). (line 1 is eligible for upgrade)
Line 2 has LG cosmos 2 (no data required). Line 2 has no data and not eligible for upgrade until 02/2015

So I will transfer upgrade from line 1 (unlimited data line) to line 2 (LG cosmo/no data).

Than I will use upgrade on line 2 (at corp store or online) to buy smartphone and activate smartphone on line 2 and add 2GB data (can this upgrade be done at retail corp store?).

Than after transaction takes place, I will just insert my 4g LTE sim that I already in line 1 and I am done.

Just call VZ to switch line 2 to LG cosmos 2 and take off data?