[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

BUMP...

Asked once but not answered:

I have S3 on a single line unlimited data plan and not due for upgrade til 7/4/14. How can I get upgraded to S4 and keep my unlimited data? Get 2nd line with S4 and do the switch? If I do that, what effect will that have on my S3 since only 1 year into contract...in other words would I have to keep S3 on second line wuth a data plan?

Hopefully SOMEONE knows...not all of us have multiple phone lines due for upgrades!

Your options are to
1) Start a new line to get a subsidized S4. Then put a dummy phone on that line, to get the monthly cost to a minimum and put that phone on the unlimited line. I haven't personally done the dummy phone technique (a MEID but not a real phone) myself but others on this thread have reported it. Instead I have a feature phone as an upgrade line which is the in-laws line.
2) Buy an S4 outright at full price, or on a monthly payment plan
3) Buy an S4 on Craig's List or Ebay and put it on your unlimited line.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

You're welcome

BTW what phone is the original phone that you put back on the line that received the upgrade to free up the new phone? I and Others too have reported having the problem that the new phone doesn't get free'd up when they put the original phone back on the line but swapping 4G sims or calling CSR does free's it up. I wonder if this happens when you bump a 4G phone off the line with a phone that doesn't have a 4G SIM. The phone knocks the phone off the line but not the 4G SIM unless it too has a 4G SIM.

jason77

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site

BTW what phone is the original phone that you put back on the line that received the upgrade to free up the new phone? I and Others too have reported having the problem that the new phone doesn't get free'd up when they put the original phone back on the line but swapping 4G sims or calling CSR does free's it up. I wonder if this happens when you bump a 4G phone off the line with a phone that doesn't have a 4G SIM. The phone knocks the phone off the line but not the 4G SIM unless it too has a 4G SIM.

IPhone 4. It is a 3G so that might be the problem.

jbnimbel

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site

I just chatted a rep that said you will loose unlimited data if you use your upgrade in any way, including transfers. :mad:
Just came from a Verizon corp store and was told the same thing. Any upgrade transfer will remove unlimited data plan. Why the disinformation campaign?

GWILKS

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site

Just came from a Verizon corp store and was told the same thing. Any upgrade transfer will remove unlimited data plan. Why the disinformation campaign?

Because they want people off unlimited so they make more money..

Sent from my Galaxy S-Fawhore

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Because they want people off unlimited so they make more money..

Sent from my Galaxy S-Fawhore

Especially with LTE Advanced coming. I find that the faster the network is the more data you use. For example if a YouTube Video downloads instantly you have time to watch another one, so your total consumption goes up. That is one thing I hear reps telling people that looking at their history they don't use that much data and that they should change it to a capped plan to save money. But as data speeds go up and phones become more advanced you use more data.

Posted via Android Central App

sp90378

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

I dont know why or how this happened, but I just upgraded my phone and I kept unlimited data. I used the upgrade on my own line, which had unlimited data on it, and my billing cycle just ended like 2 days after the upgrade, so I was expecting to see it change to just 2GB, but its still showing unlimited! I didnt do anything special. Just upgraded to the Galaxy S4 using letstalk.com.

Anyone else experience this? I just cannot explain how in the world this happened.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

I dont know why or how this happened, but I just upgraded my phone and I kept unlimited data. I used the upgrade on my own line, which had unlimited data on it, and my billing cycle just ended like 2 days after the upgrade, so I was expecting to see it change to just 2GB, but its still showing unlimited! I didnt do anything special. Just upgraded to the Galaxy S4 using letstalk.com.

Anyone else experience this? I just cannot explain how in the world this happened.

I would suspect that there is a lag when you order a phone through a third party vendor and that since your billing period closed 2 days after the upgrade it hadn't reflected on it yet. I would think it would be on your next bill or you will see it soon when you access your Verizon Wireless account online. Letstalk.com even says on their website that you will lose your unlimited data if you upgrade your Verizon account:

Please note: Using your upgrade eligibility to receive discounted equipment (either by moving to a Share Everything plan or keeping your existing rate plan) will result in you forfeiting Unlimited Data (if you currently have it) for the mobile number you are upgrading​

sp90378

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

I understand that, which is why I was surprised to see it, that it still shows me as having unlimited data. Verizon no longer shows that my phone is eligible for upgrades. I guess I will know by next billing cycle then. (Also, this phone is a part of a 4 phone family plan (not the share everything), and the other 3 phones are smartphones, 1 phone has 4GB and the other 2 just the normal 2GB).

I would suspect that there is a lag when you order a phone through a third party vendor and that since your billing period closed 2 days after the upgrade it hadn't reflected on it yet. I would think it would be on your next bill or you will see it soon when you access your Verizon Wireless account online. Letstalk.com even says on their website that you will lose your unlimited data if you upgrade your Verizon account:

Please note: Using your upgrade eligibility to receive discounted equipment (either by moving to a Share Everything plan or keeping your existing rate plan) will result in you forfeiting Unlimited Data (if you currently have it) for the mobile number you are upgrading​

zodogg34

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

OK, I just got a GS4 on a line that currently has a "dumb" phone at the VZW store.
I came home and tried to re-activate the "dumb" phone on that same line, but the activate page won't let me do it. It just goes right back to the page where I enter the ESN number as soon as I the "next" button from that same page.
What am I missing?

Thanks!

zodogg34

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

This is getting frustrating. Apparently their website was down last night. Now I go in and I try to activate the GS4 on my line (I currently have a Rezound) and it says that it won't let me and I have to call customer service.
I want to avoid calling them because they may catch on to what I did and cancel my unlimited plan.
Can someone help?

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

I want to avoid calling them because they may catch on to what I did and cancel my unlimited plan.

just don't talk about unlimited or how or why you are doing what you are doing. Call and get help getting the dumbphone re-activated. Hang up. Call and get help getting the S4 activated on your unlimited line. Done.

Every time I've done this I'm unable to do the activations online myself as well. I have had no issues getting the phones activated with phone CSR's help though. I personally would not risk trying to get help at a physical store location though.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

This is getting frustrating. Apparently their website was down last night. Now I go in and I try to activate the GS4 on my line (I currently have a Rezound) and it says that it won't let me and I have to call customer service.
Can someone help?

I haven't had a problem calling. Just say your having problem activating. Alternatively if you have an extra 4g SIM card you try swapping it out other report that it clears this problem.

Posted via Android Central App

deluxx

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site

Can anyone confirm this still works?

What are the steps to getting a new simcard if I can't activate the phone on my unlimited line? I don't have an extra 4g sim card to fall back on, so naturally I am cautious.

My DX that I have on my unlimited plan is on it's last legs, so I am planning on going to best buy and upgrade one of my dummy lines through them, and do this process to activate a DNA on my unlimited line.... Has anyone had success doing it this way through best-buy?

I don't want to end up with some huge fee or not be able to activate it on my unlimited line because the sim card is for my dummy line.

ggamannom

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

Can someone assure me that this will work:

Situation: Family plan with two lines (Galaxy Nexus with unlimited data & dumb phone) & one separate line NOT included in family line (so no relation to family line)
1) I will use the upgrade line from a dumbphone to the S4 on the line NOT on the family plan (so adding 2GB data package to that plan)
2) Activate S4 on the line I upgraded the phone on (non-family line)
3) Re-activate old dumbphone on the non-family line, freeing up the S4
4) Activate the S4 on MY line (smartphone w/ unlimited data on the family line)
5) Win? Would I be dealing with any SIM card issues?

--------------
EDIT: Do I even need to bother with the activating on the non-family line then re-activating the old phone? Or can I just activate the S4 on my unlimited data line (without losing unlimited) straight out of the box and then get rid of the 2GB data plan I bought for the non-family plan online?

Last edited:

noturbizniss

May 17, 2012
Visit site

Can someone assure me that this will work:

Situation: Family plan with two lines (Galaxy Nexus with unlimited data & dumb phone) & one separate line NOT included in family line (so no relation to family line)
1) I will use the upgrade line from a dumbphone to the S4 on the line NOT on the family plan (so adding 2GB data package to that plan)
2) Activate S4 on the line I upgraded the phone on (non-family line)
3) Re-activate old dumbphone on the non-family line, freeing up the S4
4) Activate the S4 on MY line (smartphone w/ unlimited data on the family line)
5) Win? Would I be dealing with any SIM card issues?

--------------
EDIT: Do I even need to bother with the activating on the non-family line then re-activating the old phone? Or can I just activate the S4 on my unlimited data line (without losing unlimited) straight out of the box and then get rid of the 2GB data plan I bought for the non-family plan online?

That should def work as your are not even transferring your upgrade. I do believe that you have to activate the phone on the line first or else they may charge you.

deluxx

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site

Just wanted to update everyone if they needed confirmation or whatever...

Upgraded to a DNA from best buy on a dumbline, reactivated the original dumbphone on its original line. Had to call customer service to switch over the sim numbers and such, they did it without a hickup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty