[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

I called and they said as the order is currently placed I would lose unlimited data so I canceled it... I'm still confused as to how to transfer an upgrade (from an unlimited line to a line that has 2gb per month) and still keep the unlimited data on the line you are transferring an upgrade from?

What process are you using to transfer the upgrade?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

As of May 2nd the process looked like: Log into your on-line MyVerizon account and under Device Management, click More Options, and then Upgrade Device. Under the appropriate device, click Transfer Upgrade.

adlx21

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site

As of May 2nd the process looked like: Log into your on-line MyVerizon account and under Device Management, click More Options, and then Upgrade Device. Under the appropriate device, click Transfer Upgrade.

nope, no such button :(

krazy

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

Yes, I do this and then proceed to use the upgrade on the other line. But when I go back into my account I see the upgrade is still being proceeded under the unlimited data line and when i called it was confirmed that i would lose unlimited data if i proceeded with the upgrade.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Yes, I do this and then proceed to use the upgrade on the other line. But when I go back into my account I see the upgrade is still being proceeded under the unlimited data line and when i called it was confirmed that i would lose unlimited data if i proceeded with the upgrade.

Okay that is incredibly not good. I just talked to an online chat person and they seemed to echo that but they said it very differently. This requires more investigation, because without the ability to transfer upgrades this process could be broken.

epphllps

May 9, 2010
Visit site

Okay that is incredibly not good. I just talked to an online chat person and they seemed to echo that but they said it very differently. This requires more investigation, because without the ability to transfer upgrades this process could be broken.

Definitely doesn't make sense as transfer upgrade means exactly that. Something is either wrong in their system or they are in the process of limiting those particular accounts from doing the transfer anymore and just have not removed the option to transfer. Either way, it just seems broken if you transfer yet it doesn't really transfer.

krazy

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

Definitely doesn't make sense as transfer upgrade means exactly that. Something is either wrong in their system or they are in the process of limiting those particular accounts from doing the transfer anymore and just have not removed the option to transfer. Either way, it just seems broken if you transfer yet it doesn't really transfer.

Yes, during the upgrade process it says "XXX-XXX-1234 (line with 2gb per month that I transferred the upgrade to) This line can be upgraded today at a discounted price based on the eligibility of line XXX-XXX-6789 (line with unlimited data that I transferred from)." No where does it let me simply transfer the upgrade (i.e. I can't just transfer the upgrade and stop, I need to continue with the process and upgrade although that doesn't seem to work either).

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Yes, during the upgrade process it says "XXX-XXX-1234 (line with 2gb per month that I transferred the upgrade to) This line can be upgraded today at a discounted price based on the eligibility of line XXX-XXX-6789 (line with unlimited data that I transferred from)." No where does it let me simply transfer the upgrade (i.e. I can't just transfer the upgrade and stop, I need to continue with the process and upgrade although that doesn't seem to work either).

That sounds bonkers and like maybe they patched our ability to do it online... wtb Verizon employee to explain.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Just got online to see if I could transfer a upgrade and if looks like it is working fine to me.

y2y9upyg.jpg

7ejype4y.jpg

epate7um.jpg

Tapatalk mofo

epphllps

May 9, 2010
Visit site

It seems though that when they are completing the purchase the system is showing the upgrade as processing on the line it was transferred from instead of to the line they want to upgrade. Hope I understand them correctly.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

It seems though that when they are completing the purchase the system is showing the upgrade as processing on the line it was transferred from instead of to the line they want to upgrade. Hope I understand them correctly.

If you read back through all the pages here you will see that this is nothing new. Yet I have yet to see anybody post they lost their unlimited.

I don't understand why people just don't do this part in the store? Transferring a upgrade is clearly allowed, so you walk out of the store with the phone you want and knowing everything is right. Then change the phones online when you get home.

Tapatalk mofo

krazy

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

If you read back through all the pages here you will see that this is nothing new. Yet I have yet to see anybody post they lost their unlimited.

Interesting... When I completed the order it showed the upgrade being on the unlimited line and vz said I would lose unlimited data (although they probably have no idea what they're talking about). You're saying that this doesn't matter as long as I activate the phone on the 2 gb/month line?

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Interesting... When I completed the order it showed the upgrade being on the unlimited line and vz said I would lose unlimited data (although they probably have no idea what they're talking about). You're saying that this doesn't matter as long as I activate the phone on the 2 gb/month line?

I'm saying I have seen serval people say they got the same thing you have, but have yet to see anybody day they lost unlimited after they got the phone.

Yes i would activate the phone on the limited line first. If you are still scared to do this then cancel your online order and go to a store.

Tapatalk mofo

adlx21

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site

I just went to a Verizon store and tried to transfer the upgrade(with unlimited) to a line with no unlimited data. The guy said I would lose my unlimited data plan regardless. Any help?

epphllps

May 9, 2010
Visit site

I just went to a Verizon store and tried to transfer the upgrade(with unlimited) to a line with no unlimited data. The guy said I would lose my unlimited data plan regardless. Any help?

So it has worked for so long and now there is suddenly new policy out of nowhere? This isn't adding up, to be honest. Hope we get more input on this.

adlx21

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site

Just went to another store and the guy wouldnt do it for me. That's two stores! Here's my situation. I have 4 lines. 2 unlimited and 2 not. One of the unlimited one has an upgrade. I want to upgrade my unlimited phobe which does not have the upgrade. I was thinking of transfering the upgrade to one with no unlimited then up that phone. Then deactivate and put the New S4 onto my line........
Wouldnt I keep both unlimited?

Anyone know a store in san Francisco that does it?

epphllps

May 9, 2010
Visit site

Just went to another store and the guy wouldnt do it for me. That's two stores! Here's my situation. I have 4 lines. 2 unlimited and 2 not. One of the unlimited one has an upgrade. I want to upgrade my unlimited phobe which does not have the upgrade. I was thinking of transfering the upgrade to one with no unlimited then up that phone. Then deactivate and put the New S4 onto my line........

Do they have the ability to decline service like that? I mean transferring upgrades is clearly a service verizon offers. If they have such a problem with doing what fits within their services offered then they should make that known company wide and pass that on to their paying customers. Just my opinion.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Anyone know a store in san Francisco that does it?

What are you feeling these stores? All you should do is walk in and tell them you want to transfer the upgrade from Line A to Line B, get the phone and walk out. There should be no mention of unlimited out limited anything while in there.

Tapatalk mofo

adlx21

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site

What I'M feeling?
I'M going in... asking to transfer the upgrade to a line with no unlimited plan. then they always say... you cant do that. you will lose unlimited. So I go on and say I dont want to lose it. Cant you just transfer the upgrade? and again, he says IM losing it. So, I leave.

seems like both are suggesting that I am signing a new contract on the line with the upgrade, not the dummy phone even if i transfer the upgrade to a line with no unlimited....... I am also getting that from a chat rep from verizonwireless.com