[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

tententwo

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Hey guys, I've read through all the posts and I've likely missed it if this question was already asked. If so, sorry in advance.
I have 5 lines on the family plan. One unlimited, and one dummy line with no data which I purchased the S4 on. All lines had/have available upgrades.
Is there any reason why this would not work? Activate S4 on dummy line, disabling dumb phone. Then use "Switch Device" (Each person keeps their phone number and plan, but will have the swapped device) to swap new S4 from dummy line to unlimited line, whereby keeping unlimited data. Then re-activate dumb phone on dummy line causing swapped phone and data plan to drop off. Will this get the job done? Thanks!

I basically have the same question - about activating on dummy line and transferring to unlimited line.

Chuck73080

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Aww BOO, that sucks! Sorry to hear that. I started to wonder if it was only the old Nationwide Family accounts that were allowed to add additional ones for the $10/mo.
And so, as of today July 1, plans have changed again?? What the heck, I wonder now if even the Nationwide Family plans are cut off from adding lines? Sneaky bastards mentioned nothing about any changes coming or anything that would encourage me to go ahead and add the line that day vs. waiting a week...

We've considered leaving as well. If you decide to leave, you could more than cover your ETF by selling your S3 on Swappa. They are still pulling $300-400 depending condition etc. Something to consider.

I added a new line to get a 32GB S4 with our Nationwide Share 2000 plan on 7/5, got the phone yesterday. Plan to transfer an upgrade to get another one for the wife before activating the dumb phone.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

Anyone know how the new NFC SIM cards work?

It's easy to swap in the SIM card from your old phone (eg. GNex), and it will work, but it won't have the extra authentication of the new NFC SIM. Should the new SIM be used, from the original dumb line, and somehow mapped to the new Unlimited line, or better to use old SIM and then request an NFC one from Cust Service, once the phone is switched over?

nichole7785

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

Ok everyone here seems to know a lot more about this stuff than I do so I need advice about whether I should try to keep my unlimited data plan or not....

Right now I have one line (HTC Thunderbolt) with the following plan:
$39.99 Voice
$10.00 Text
$29.99 Email and Web Unlimited
$30.00 4G Smartphone Hotspot (unlimited) add-on

I do not have internet at home so I use the Hotspot.

Here are my options:

1. Purchase a smartphone at retail price and continue to use the Hotspot on the new phone (does anyone else experience android software issues while connected to Hotspot?)
$650 phone
$39.99 Voice
$10.00 Text

Total=$650 + $110/mo

2. Purchase a Jetpack at retail price, use my SIM card from my smartphone and add a line to my existing plan (does anyone know if I can drop the Voice, Text and Email/Web from my unlimited plan?)
$100 phone
$10 add line (will this change my unlimited plan?)
$40 unlimited Voice and Text
$39.99 Voice
$10.00 Text

Total=$100 + $160/mo

3. Purchase a Jetpack at retail price, use my SIM card from my smartphone and forward my calls to another phone (does anyone know how I would do this and how much it would cost?)

4. Upgrade to a new phone and order comcast internet for my home (but no traveling Hotspot and have to keep an eye on data usage)
$100 phone
$60 for 2GB data (if that is enough)
$45 home internet

Total=$100 + $145/mo

Unless there is a way to drop the Voice, Text and Email/Web from my unlimited data plan then I guess I'm leaning towards purchasing a phone at retail price. Any other ideas on how to separate the unlimited data from my cell phone so I can primarily use it at home?

Thanks!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Ok everyone here seems to know a lot more about this stuff than I do so I need advice about whether I should try to keep my unlimited data plan or not....

Right now I have one line (HTC Thunderbolt) with the following plan:
$39.99 Voice
$10.00 Text

I do not have internet at home so I use the Hotspot.

Here are my options:

1. Purchase a smartphone at retail price and continue to use the Hotspot on the new phone (does anyone else experience android software issues while connected to Hotspot?)
$650 phone
$39.99 Voice
$10.00 Text

Total=$650 + $110/mo

2. Purchase a Jetpack at retail price, use my SIM card from my smartphone and add a line to my existing plan (does anyone know if I can drop the Voice, Text and Email/Web from my unlimited plan?)
$100 phone
$10 add line (will this change my unlimited plan?)
$39.99 Voice
$10.00 Text

Total=$100 + $160/mo

3. Purchase a Jetpack at retail price, use my SIM card from my smartphone and forward my calls to another phone (does anyone know how I would do this and how much it would cost?)

4. Upgrade to a new phone and order comcast internet for my home (but no traveling Hotspot and have to keep an eye on data usage)
$100 phone
$60 for 2GB data (if that is enough)
$45 home internet

Total=$100 + $145/mo

Unless there is a way to drop the Voice, Text and Email/Web from my unlimited data plan then I guess I'm leaning towards purchasing a phone at retail price. Any other ideas on how to separate the unlimited data from my cell phone so I can primarily use it at home?

Thanks!

You can buy a hotspot, and put your sim card with unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE in it. That way, you can drop the hotspot charge and data. You would still have to pay for voice. Forward the calls to another phone. The family plan is $70 for 2 lines 700 min, or if you are lucky, you can get them to put you on the 550 min family plan which is $60

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

nichole7785

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

You can buy a hotspot, and put your sim card with unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE in it. That way, you can drop the hotspot charge and data. You would still have to pay for voice.
Ohhh, I think I was confused about the whole 4GLTE thing. So the $30 Hotspot is not why I'm getting unlimited data? I could drop the Text and Hotspot charges from my existing line and the $29.99 Email and Web Unlimited (plus $39.99 Voice) would be paying for the data?

Forward the calls to another phone. The family plan is $70 for 2 lines 700 min, or if you are lucky, you can get them to put you on the 550 min family plan which is $60
Do I need 2 more lines/family plan to forward calls and is it possible to forward calls to a mobile phone? Can I just add one line and forward calls from my existing line to the new one?

Sorry for all of the questions. I would call a Verizon rep but I'm not sure if my questions would be answered...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Ohhh, I think I was confused about the whole 4GLTE thing. So the $30 Hotspot is not why I'm getting unlimited data? I could drop the Text and Hotspot charges from my existing line and the $29.99 Email and Web Unlimited (plus $39.99 Voice) would be paying for the data?

Do I need 2 more lines/family plan to forward calls and is it possible to forward calls to a mobile phone? Can I just add one line and forward calls from my existing line to the new one?

Sorry for all of the questions. I would call a Verizon rep but I'm not sure if my questions would be answered...

Your can keep unlimited without hotspot and text

You can forward calls even with just one device, and can can forward to any phone number, mobile or otherwise. Yes, you can add a line add forward the calls to the new line

nichole7785

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

Your can keep unlimited without hotspot and text

You can forward calls even with just one device, and can can forward to any phone number, mobile or otherwise. Yes, you can add a line add forward the calls to the new line

That's perfect! Thanks for the help!

snake2332

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Lots of good info on this thread, but I couldn't find an answer to my situation. Sorry if this has been discussed before.

My situation:

2 lines, both unlimited data. Line #1 is mine. Line #2 is my wife's.
My line #1 is ready for upgrade Sunday (well, 1 week early at Costco). Anyone that got the GNEX on day 1 has this upgrade date.
I want to use my upgrade to upgrade my wife's phone (cracked Droid Razr). I read that people say you can transfer the upgrade, but when talking to Verizon, they actually do the upgrade on the line that is eligible (line #1 in this case), then they do a device transfer, not an upgrade transfer, per se. Therefore, my line would lose unlimited data but my wife would have unlimited still and a shiny new S4.
However, I want to keep unlimited because I use ~20GB a month while my wife uses like 2GB if she happens to be using Pandora much that month, and less than 1GB if she isn't.
The guy at Costco said he might be able to keep unlimited on my line while still using my upgrade for line #2, but he wasn't sure.
Therefore, I came here looking for answers from someone that has done this before.
Perhaps the real question is:
Is there truly an upgrade transfer and a separate device transfer? Are people just referring to a device transfer when they say an upgrade transfer?
I believe if there is such thing as an upgrade transfer, that would be my best bet, but I have a feeling there is no such thing.

Thanks for any help!

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

Is there truly an upgrade transfer and a separate device transfer?

Yes. However, in my opinion the only way you can be 100% certain you are truly doing an "upgrade transfer" is to do it yourself via the Verizon wireless website. Since you mention buying from Costco this could be a problem, especially since the rep didn't sound confidant. If you truly care about keeping unlimited on your line, your best bet is to do the upgrade transfer yourself directly from the Verizon website. And when I say you doing it via the website, I mean exactly that -- I wouldn't even trust a Verizon rep (in store or phone) to do this correctly.

William Main

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site

I have two lines on my family plan. My line has unlimited data and the other line has the 2gb/month plan. I have an upgrade available and i understand the whole process of using my upgrade on the 2gb line and then switching the phones. The 2gb plan is about halfway to an upgrade and my question is will they lose this upgrade and have to wait another 2 years because of me using my upgrade on that line? or will their eligible upgrade still be available in a year?

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

I have two lines on my family plan. My line has unlimited data and the other line has the 2gb/month plan. I have an upgrade available and i understand the whole process of using my upgrade on the 2gb line and then switching the phones. The 2gb plan is about halfway to an upgrade and my question is will they lose this upgrade and have to wait another 2 years because of me using my upgrade on that line? or will their eligible upgrade still be available in a year?

The 2nd line will not lose its upgrade. Your unlimited line will be on a new two year contract but it will not lose unlimited.

Tapatalk mofo

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Is there an upgrade available on the unlimited line phone? If you transfer this upgrade to the 2gb/mo line and then upgrade it it won't effect th3 2gb/mo lines upgrade time. The unlimited line's upgrade clock will reset and won't be available for another 2 years. So in 1 year you would have another upgrade available on the 2gb/mo line.

inandora

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

Hi - it's been a while since you posted on this, but I'm wondering if you have more info about the loophole (a web page link)? I just tried TESTING a Note2 I purchased on eBay at the Verizon store and it worked completely fine (cosmetically nothing wrong and screen/widgets all seemed to work fine - sound, etc), but 'mysteriously' the phone would not make or receive a call inside the store when the VZ person tried a test call for me. Seems to me like a good way for VzW to discourage buying on eBay rather than through VZ with an upgrade, which I've not done in years. I have an unlimited data plan with 450 minutes in calls a month and I specifically discussed wanting to keep the plan as is with the rep when we tried to switch me to the Note 2 in-store. She said that made sense and was all understanding, and a second guy ensured me that moving to this phone would not change my plan or remove my unlimited data . . . when I got home later I had emails from Vz saying I was on a new plan as soon as I activated this new phone (but we went right back to my old one in-store when it "didn't make calls"). I think Vz was controlling all of that to get me to buy a phone through them and to get me off the expired 450/phone minutes and unlimited plan. Anyone else find a way to keep all? I'm going to the store again today to try and get it all back since I reverted back within the hour yesterday. Sheesh. talk about sneaky, greedy corporate....

Droid3r

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site

Those emails are just thanking you for staying with them. You shouldn't lose unlimited data by bringing your own device.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

johnanthonyny

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

will this version of the original method work?

-I have 3 lines (2 basic & 1 unlimited)
-It's a Family Plan but I'm NOT sure if it's Share Everything, we share Minutes & have Unlimited text
-All 3 lines have upgrades available for the past year

1. Upgrade phone of basic line + [add 2GB data]
2. Activate Upgraded Smartphone onto basic line *should i do it in store or online?*
3. Call Up Verizon
4. Deactive the Upgrade Smartphone & Reactive basic phone [making sure data plan is dropped]
5. In same call Activate Upgrade Smartphone onto Unlimited Line

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

will this version of the original method work?

-I have 3 lines (2 basic & 1 unlimited)
-It's a Family Plan but I'm NOT sure if it's Share Everything, we share Minutes & have Unlimited text
-All 3 lines have upgrades available for the past year

1. Upgrade phone of basic line + [add 2GB data]
2. Activate Upgraded Smartphone onto basic line *should i do it in store or online?*
3. Call Up Verizon
4. Deactive the Upgrade Smartphone & Reactive basic phone [making sure data plan is dropped]
5. In same call Activate Upgrade Smartphone onto Unlimited Line

Step 3 is unnecessary, you don't have to talk to them at all. Everything can be done online or if you want to inspect the phone and take it home with you, steps 1 and 2 can be done in the store on one trip. Activating the smartphone onto your unlimited line can be done online as well.

Gravik

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site

Success.

4 Phones
2 - Smart - both unlimited - one off contract/upgrade available
2 - Basic - one off contract/upgrade available.

Goal: Get a upgrade Galaxy S4 on the Unlimited Plan and put the old GS3 on the basic line without losing Unlimited Plan.

Activate GS4 on Basic Line
Step 1 - Purchased Galaxy S4 at BB on the basic line. Did not have them activate it.
Step 2 - Log into myverizon. Choose Activate or Switch Phone.
Step 3 - Choose Basic line and 'Activate New Phone'. Enter in GS4 MEID and follow steps.
Step 4 - Ensure GS4 is working.

Revert back to Basic Phone on Basic Line
Step 1 - Log Out of myverizon and then log back in to get the latest account info.
Step 2 - Choose Basic line and choose 'Activate a phone used previously on the account'. Enter in MEID of original basic phone and follow steps.
Step 3 - Make sure basic phone is working.

Move GS4 to the Unlimited Line
Step 1 - Turn off Both phones (GS4 and GS3) and remove SIM cards.
Step 2 - Log Out of myverizon and then log back in to get the latest account info.
Step 3 - Choose Unlimited line (GS3) and choose 'Activate a phone used previously on the account'.
Step 4 - Choose GS4 from drop down or Enter in MEID of GS4 phone.
Step 5 - Enter the SIM card number of GS3 when asked and then put it into GS4. Follow the rest of activation steps.
Step 6 - Make sure GS4 is working.
Step 7 - log out and back into myverizon and check the Unlimited Status.

Move GS3 to the Basic Line
Step 1 - Follow same procedure as Moving to GS4 except you must choose a Data Plan.

I did each step without waiting any extended periods of time. As long as MyVerizon saw the changes, I moved on to the next phase.
Accomplished on 7/18/2013.

Hope this helps.

jerrod22

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site

Okay, so I have am on a Family Share Plan(not share everything) with 3 unlimited lines and 2 tiered lines. I am a authorized signer(or whatever verizon calls it) on my parents account, so I can go in and transfer my upgrade to the tiered line, from my unlimited line. I'll transfer it to my dad's line. We both currently have Droid Bionics. I want to get the Galaxy S4, we both live in different towns, but I believe I may see him next weekend, but I was wondering if It was possible without him and his phone present, I could get EIN and such from him.

But what I want to know, as I read I should activate it first on his line, then reactivate his Bionic(are we able to reactivate the other Sim, as it is supposedly a different size?). Since the Bionic SIM supposedly doesn't fit in the S4, do I request from Verizon a separate Sim for my number to fit in the S4 at time of purchase? I believe from what I read I should be able to get the EIN, and a number off my dad's Bionic Sim, and reactivate his phone back on their, and then get the new sim for the S4 with my line info, and just destroy the S4 Sim sent to me with his information on it. Am I right?

fightinpikey

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site

Just used this loop hole today and it worked like a charm......good bye RAZR hello gs4.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress