[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

bgrieser

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Out of curiosity - is there anything in the contract or otherwise preventing me from going thru this process but instead simply selling the newly purchased device on eBay after activating it on the dumphone line and then re-activating the dumphone? Not saying I would necessarily do this, as I do want to upgrade to a newer device on my unlimited line, but I'm wondering if this is a viable option.

Also, after searching throughout this thread I am still confused about the SIM card... Specifically, do I activate the device with the SIM card that comes with the new device, or the SIM tied to the line with unlimited data? Once the new device is activated and then de-activated, do I still use the original SIM (ie. the one originally tied to my unlimited data device), or the new SIM? Just want to make sure I keep the same number... Thanks.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Sure, you can sell it . lots of people do. Verizon doesn't care so long as you fulfill the contract on the line the upgrade came from.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

kckadow

May 23, 2011
Visit site

Does anyone know if I can use a 20-month upgrade from Verizon to purchase from Costco or Best Buy and use this method to keep my unlimited data? I seem to think that 20-month upgrades can only be exercised through Verizon (as opposed to a full 24-month upgrade).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Does anyone know if I can use a 20-month upgrade from Verizon to purchase from Costco or Best Buy and use this method to keep my unlimited data? I seem to think that 20-month upgrades can only be exercised through Verizon (as opposed to a full 24-month upgrade).

Iirc, Costco requires 22 months, best buy is 20. Kinda a moot point unless you have an upgrade available between now and the end of the month, starting next month every one is being pushed to 24 months

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Iirc, Costco requires 22 months, best buy is 20. Kinda a moot point unless you have an upgrade available between now and the end of the month, starting next month every one is being pushed to 24 months

Mine is 8/31 - scary number. I'm probably going to wait until Q4 anyways though to see what happens between Nexus, G2, Moto Maker, etc.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Mine is 8/31 - scary number. I'm probably going to wait until Q4 anyways though to see what happens between Nexus, G2, Moto Maker, etc.

Wow, down to the wire!

I have an upgrade early this month. Waiting to see the note 3, one max. I am happy with my note 2, so no hurry, but if I see a good deal on a note-esque device , i will snag something. It would be nice to have a phone with band 4 lte support. It must have either an sd card though or 64gb built in.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Wow, down to the wire!

I have an upgrade early this month. Waiting to see the note 3, one max. I am happy with my note 2, so no hurry, but if I see a good deal on a note-esque device , i will snag something. It must have either an sd card though or 64gb built in. And band 4 lte support.

I'll probably buy whatever outright anyways and not mess with the contract.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I'll probably buy whatever outright anyways and not mess with the contract.

For me, since I plan to stay with Verizon for the foreseeable future, might as well make use of the subsidy.

Even if you leave in say a year, you would just pay etf, still cheaper than paying full retail

Last edited:

bgrieser

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

Thanks dpham. Sorry if this has already been covered somewhere in this thread but I still can't seem to find a definitive answer:

Do I activate the device with the SIM card that comes with the new device, or the SIM tied to the line with unlimited data? Once the new device is activated and then de-activated, do I still use the original SIM (ie. the one originally tied to my unlimited data device), or the new SIM? Just want to make sure I keep the same number on both lines... Thanks.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Thanks dpham. Sorry if this has already been covered somewhere in this thread but I still can't seem to find a definitive answer:

Do I activate the device with the SIM card that comes with the new device, or the SIM tied to the line with unlimited data? Once the new device is activated and then de-activated, do I still use the original SIM (ie. the one originally tied to my unlimited data device), or the new SIM? Just want to make sure I keep the same number on both lines... Thanks.

I would use the sim that came with it to be safe. After activation, take the sim from the unlimited line and put it into the new phone and the sim you just removed would go into any other 4GLTE device, if you would like, or can be discarded.

The phone number is tied to the sim card

bgrieser

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

I would use the sim that came with it to be safe. After activation, take the sim from the unlimited line and put it into the new phone and the sim you just removed would go into any other 4GLTE device, if you would like, or can be discarded.

The phone number is tied to the sim card

Thanks for your input. I'm pretty close to biting the bullet and ordering myself a GS4. Wish me luck!

kckadow

May 23, 2011
Visit site

Thanks dphamm00. I have two 20 month upgrades 8/15, one on my unlimited and one on my son's 4GB plan. Unless Best Buy or Costco discounts the Droid Maxx I'll just get it straight from Vz on his plan and make the switch. I read Wirefly's fine print (to try to save the $100) and they will charge you if you disconnect within 181 days to move to another line on the same account. So if no discount from other retailers, then no issues. My Gnex is acting up so badly I need to make the switch ASAP anyway. So you're saying the 20-month upgrade I don't use will disappear 9/1 and won't reappear until the 24th month?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Thanks dphamm00. I have two 20 month upgrades 8/15, one on my unlimited and one on my son's 4GB plan. Unless Best Buy or Costco discounts the Droid Maxx I'll just get it straight from Vz on his plan and make the switch. I read Wirefly's fine print (to try to save the $100) and they will charge you if you disconnect within 181 days to move to another line on the same account. So if no discount from other retailers, then no issues. My Gnex is acting up so badly I need to make the switch ASAP anyway. So you're saying the 20-month upgrade I don't use will disappear 9/1 and won't reappear until the 24th month?

If your current upgrade date is before 9/1, it will be at 20 months. Any upgrade date on or after 9/1 would be moved to 24 months. This is the upgrade date on the contract, not the date you upgrade. Since your upgrade is 8/15,you can upgrade anytime on or after that date. But your next device would require 24 months before upgrading

GoBigRed79

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site

I was reading on XDA, that some people were able to keep their unlimited data by
1. using an upgrade on a different line
2. NOT activating the phone on the different line
3. NOT doing a device switch
4. but rather popping in the LTE SIM card from the old phone on the unlimited line to the new LTE phone.

This would be preferable as it would let me skip a step or 2. Get new phone on another line, pop in LTE SIM. Done.

Any experience with this?

This is what I would like to do also if possible. We have a family share plan with two lines. My Wife has an iPhone 5 and 2GB data and my line has unlimited and the upgrade. I would just like to move the upgrade online to her line, order the phone, and when I get the phone just put the 4G SIM from my phone in it and be done. Since she already has a 4G phone do they send a new sim that has to be used? It is my understanding that the plan is tied to the SIM, not the phone so this should work, correct?

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

This is what I would like to do also if possible. We have a family share plan with two lines. My Wife has an iPhone 5 and 2GB data and my line has unlimited and the upgrade. I would just like to move the upgrade online to her line, order the phone, and when I get the phone just put the 4G SIM from my phone in it and be done. Since she already has a 4G phone do they send a new sim that has to be used? It is my understanding that the plan is tied to the SIM, not the phone so this should work, correct?

Will probably depend on what phone you order. iPhone is a nano sim most other phones are micro sim. Also you have to activate the phone on her line first or you will lose your unlimited data.

You can just get a SIM adapter and discard the new sim they send you.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

marco-polo

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site

Last year a Verizon manager switched an upgrade from one of our unlimited lines to a child's line with a dumb phone and no data plan so I could use the upgrade to get a discounted Galaxy S3. Does anyone know whether it is possible just to click online on My Verizon to do the same transfer?
An additional step was necessary to keep my unlimited. When the phone arrived it had to be activated on the other child's line where we got a 2 MB data plan. After a couple of days, we cancelled the data plan and put him back on the dumb phone. Then I had the phone transferred to my line -- which I think I did on-line. Some people now say it would be possible just to pop in my sim card to the new phone, but we didn't try this.
Since the next manager may not be so cooperative, why not just transfer the upgrade online? Would this CANCEL out my unlimited?
One final point: we have two lines on unlimited and one child's line with no data. The unlimited lines are now on month to month. The child's line is currently not going to expire for 2 years. So it seems to have its own contract. Can it still get a transferred upgrade?
Thanks.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Last year a Verizon manager switched an upgrade from one of our unlimited lines to a child's line with a dumb phone and no data plan so I could use the upgrade to get a discounted Galaxy S3. Does anyone know whether it is possible just to click online on My Verizon to do the same transfer?
An additional step was necessary to keep my unlimited. When the phone arrived it had to be activated on the other child's line where we got a 2 MB data plan. After a couple of days, we cancelled the data plan and put him back on the dumb phone. Then I had the phone transferred to my line -- which I think I did on-line. Some people now say it would be possible just to pop in my sim card to the new phone, but we didn't try this.
Since the next manager may not be so cooperative, why not just transfer the upgrade online? Would this CANCEL out my unlimited?
One final point: we have two lines on unlimited and one child's line with no data. The unlimited lines are now on month to month. The child's line is currently not going to expire for 2 years. So it seems to have its own contract. Can it still get a transferred upgrade?
Thanks.

Have you seriously read any of this thread? First the manager did nothing special for you to keep the unlimited, it's the and procedures that this thread was started on. So all you have to do is go online and tell them you want to transfer line A to line B. Hey the phone, you will have to get a data plan of course since it is now a dumb phone. Then was home you can do the phone transfers online and cancel the data plan since you are putting the dumb phone back on. No need to tell anybody in the store what your plans are. And to answer your first question yes you can do it online, although I have heard of people running into less problems just doing it in the store. Some that have done it online report that once they get the phone they are being told to connect it to the line the transfer came from (unlimited) and get worried about losing there unlimited of they do that.

I will be getting a LG G2 when it comes out by using a transfer and will do it in the store. I got my wife an iPhone 5 about 3 months ago doing the transfer in the store then transferred phones online. No problem, she didn't lose unlimited and I did the transfer about 30 mins street getting the phone.

Tapatalk mofo

karn101

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Question to see if anyone else has run into this and have any suggestions.

I ordered a new phone from target's Mobile site S4 on sale. When I get the phone I get a piece of paper with the phone that has a big warning the jist of it is if I swap this phone to another line I incur a $400 deactivation charge. Any Thoughts? I bought this with the intention of swapping it with another device as recommended in this thread.

Found this after the fact...
Q. What if I upgrade the second line and then swap the phone to the primary line?
A. This will be considered a deactivation, when this happens the ESN swap will trigger a deactivation/cancellation across all carriers and you will incur an instant savings discount penalty.

I've done this on phones from Amazon and Wirefly. They both have similar fine-print writings and I've never been charged an extra dime. I wouldn't worry too much but I see you've already returned the phone so it's a moot point.

Mjailme

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

Ok folks who have done this. When you got the comfirmation email from verizon. which phone number did they use on the email as being upgraded. I just did the transfer and the email confirmation stated i was upgrading my unlimited line (the number I transfered the upgrade from) not my wifes 2gb line. Is this normal??????

tetrismaster

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site

I've been trying to go through the thread, but it's huge! Does the line have to be a dumb phone? We have a line with the 2GB/month plan,

So if I just transfer my upgrade to that line, get the phone upgrade and activate it on that line.
Then switch sim cards back to me, would I still be able to keep my unlimited?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87