[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

Gerg04

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

I hope not - This Thursday I plan on transferring and upgrade off of an unlimited iPhone5 to a feature phone line and get the Note 3 and put it on my unlimited line replacing my Razr Maxx HD. If it doesn't I will be paying the full price and using their device payment plan to pay for it...

No way am I giving up my two $9.99/month unlimited data lines...

I hope not either. Wanted to run this by your guys since I just caught up on the thread from around 9/25/13 to now. So I transferred my main line (unlimited data) eligible upgrade to my dumb phone and ordered the Note 3. It did not force me to change my data plan, as 2 VzW Chat Reps and 1 in store rep told me. From what I gather, I should get the phone and activate it on the dumb phone line. THEN drop that line back to basic. If it forces me to pick data, call VzW to remove, then take my SIM from my Note 2 - and swap it into my Note 3. This will keep my unlimited data, and get my basic line back to $10 a month. Pretty sure I've got that part down.

Someone mentioned a few pages back about billing to the account instead of paying for the device on a debit/credit card. Does this really affect anything? Should I not have it bill my account for the purchase? I can't really see this being any kind of difference or making it any more difficult to switch things. I just wanted to see if anyone had any input on this and whether they've done it and had any problems. Thanks in advance.

Notrega

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

I hope not either. Wanted to run this by your guys since I just caught up on the thread from around 9/25/13 to now. So I transferred my main line (unlimited data) eligible upgrade to my dumb phone and ordered the Note 3. It did not force me to change my data plan, as 2 VzW Chat Reps and 1 in store rep told me. From what I gather, I should get the phone and activate it on the dumb phone line. THEN drop that line back to basic. If it forces me to pick data, call VzW to remove, then take my SIM from my Note 2 - and swap it into my Note 3. This will keep my unlimited data, and get my basic line back to $10 a month. Pretty sure I've got that part down.

Someone mentioned a few pages back about billing to the account instead of paying for the device on a debit/credit card. Does this really affect anything? Should I not have it bill my account for the purchase? I can't really see this being any kind of difference or making it any more difficult to switch things. I just wanted to see if anyone had any input on this and whether they've done it and had any problems. Thanks in advance.

I have billed and paid with a card for the upgrade... no issues either way... I am really hoping they haven't screwed things up

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

I am too afraid to find out. I would rather just charge it to one of my many credit cards and call it a day. If there is an issue with billing and I have to call Verizon, I just don't want to explain why this number has my old flip phone, but yet the Note 3 was charged to that number and then they see that I have unlimited data on that line. I would just be afraid that Verizon would get cute.

But hey, if you want to try billing it to the account, and attempting to keep unlimited data, feel free to try it and let us know.

Notrega

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

But hey, if you want to try billing it to the account, and attempting to keep unlimited data, feel free to try it and let us know.

I have done the upgrade transfer and equipment swap numerous times and except for once I have always billed to the account. There has never been an issue and I have always done all of the process in the store all in one visit. They HATE me... especially when I share with others what I am doing and how they can do it too...

Oh BTW - Just had a chat with VZW and apparently the Note 3 will be $349 in stores with a $50 mail in rebate...

Gerg04

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site

I am too afraid to find out. I would rather just charge it to one of my many credit cards and call it a day. If there is an issue with billing and I have to call Verizon, I just don't want to explain why this number has my old flip phone, but yet the Note 3 was charged to that number and then they see that I have unlimited data on that line. I would just be afraid that Verizon would get cute.

I will definitely let you guys know how it turned out. Honestly I think this is the least of my worries. 1) Keeping unlimited after swapping the Note 3 to my main line. 2) dropping my 3rd back to a basic $10 a month line has me the most concerned.

dookie.

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

I have a single unlimited line with upgrade eligible. (not a shared plan, no other lines, etc)

I tried to add a line through VZW's site, but it will only let me convert to a shared plan and therefore remove the unlimited plan.

As of a week ago, you could absolutely convert to a shared plan (family plan, not share everything plan) without losing unlimited. I explored it thoroughly, but ultimately did not do it because the minimum shared plan is 700min and more than I wanted to add to my monthly bill just for a new phone.

Oh, and I got in on last weekend's upgrade glitch, so the whole add a line to upgrade became moot...

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

Oh BTW - Just had a chat with VZW and apparently the Note 3 will be $349 in stores with a $50 mail in rebate...

I guess I'm glad I preordered mine and got the $299 price. But now I'm wondering if I can still get that rebate? :D

In any event, I have more than enough to cover the three bills (plus tax.) I'm getting out of Device Payment Plan, which I'll never do it again, now that I have two dummy lines. One line used this year, one line next, though if I use the Note 3 long enough, I won't give a damn about the Note 4, or S5. I guess we'll see.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

So I sold my Galaxy Note 2, which means I'm back to the OG Droid between now and whenever the Note 3 arrives. Want to confirm my steps with you smart people so I don't screw anything up.

The Note 3 is coming as a transferred upgrade on my 3rd line. I will receive the phone, activate on my 3rd line. Wait until it updates on Verizon's website that the Note 3 is on my 3rd line. Then swap the SIM to my main line (unlimited data line). Then change my 3rd line back to my dumb phone and activate said dumb phone to get back to basic $10 a month plan. If it forces me in to a data plan, call VzW at that point to have data removed from dumb phone line.

In the mean time; is it ok to put my OG Droid on my main line? Since I'll be shipping out my Note 2 tomorrow, will this have any affect on the order I do things above? Sorry for being such a Nervous Nelly, it's obviously important to many of us on here to keep unlimited and I just want to be sure I'm not screwing anything up.

The only thing I would change is activate the dumb phone back on the 3rd line prior to doing the sim swap.

Gerg04

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site

The only thing I would change is activate the dumb phone back on the 3rd line prior to doing the sim swap.

Awesome, everything else looks good tho? Including activating my OG Droid on my main line tomorrow? Before activating yet ANOTHER phone hopefully Thursday?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Awesome, everything else looks good tho? Including activating my OG Droid on my main line tomorrow? Before activating yet ANOTHER phone hopefully Thursday?

As far as I know, there are no issues with that. As long as the Note 3 is activated on the 3rd line 1st there should be no issues in terms of your unlimited.

ajjeepguy

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

Ok I have a question. I attempted to use the loophole and when I was completing it I thought everything was going smooth and I had nothing to worry about. What I did

I have a unlimited data line that was eligible for a upgrade. I also had a line that does not have unlimited data and was not eligible. So I transferred the upgrade from the unlimited data line to the line that does not have unlimited data it has a 2gb plan. I went through the steps online and it never asked me to select a new plan or anything (like it did when I would just try to upgrade my line with unlimited data without transferring) it just said 2gb data and then Existing plan out next to it. So I though great that is what the line had that I had transferred the upgrade to so that looks normal. I completed the order to pre order my Note 3 and thought I was good to go.

I then received a confirmation email that said the line that was being upgraded was my unlimited data line. Like it had my unlimited data lines phone number listed. However I am 100% sure I transferred the upgrade to a different line. Is it normal for the confirmation email to list the line that the upgrade originated from or did something go wrong. So I guess what I am wondering is that when I receive the Note 3 and activate it under the number I transferred the upgrade to that does not have unlimited data will it take away the unlimited data on the line the transfer originated from.

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Ok I have a question. I attempted to use the loophole and when I was completing it I thought everything was going smooth and I had nothing to worry about. What I did

I have a unlimited data line that was eligible for a upgrade. I also had a line that does not have unlimited data and was not eligible. So I transferred the upgrade from the unlimited data line to the line that does not have unlimited data it has a 2gb plan. I went through the steps online and it never asked me to select a new plan or anything (like it did when I would just try to upgrade my line with unlimited data without transferring) it just said 2gb data and then Existing plan out next to it. So I though great that is what the line had that I had transferred the upgrade to so that looks normal. I completed the order to pre order my Note 3 and thought I was good to go.

I then received a confirmation email that said the line that was being upgraded was my unlimited data line. Like it had my unlimited data lines phone number listed. However I am 100% sure I transferred the upgrade to a different line. Is it normal for the confirmation email to list the line that the upgrade originated from or did something go wrong. So I guess what I am wondering is that when I receive the Note 3 and activate it under the number I transferred the upgrade to that does not have unlimited data will it take away the unlimited data on the line the transfer originated from.

Wait for your shipment confirmation and see which number is listed their. It should have the correct number in the shipment email the confirmation email seems to always list the number it came from.

ajjeepguy

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

Ok so I should still be safe and able to activate the phone on the line without unlimited data and then activate it later on the line with unlimited data. Without losing my unlimited data on the line the upgrade came from

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Ok so I should still be safe and able to activate the phone on the line without unlimited data and then activate it later on the line with unlimited data. Without losing my unlimited data on the line the upgrade came from

Yea, I had the same issue and I just got my shipping confirmation today which has the line I transfered the upgrade to and not my unlimited. So I'd say you're safe

Cares

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site

I have previously done an alternate upgrade on 2 lines to keep unlimited. I also did my 3rd line yesterday. Went to Costco - told them I wanted to do an alternate upgrade and immediately the guy knew I was trying to keep my unlimited data. He told me he would try and it has worked in the past. If it doesn't work then he would reverse the transaction for me (you have 14 days per Verizon). He transferred my unlimited upgrade to a 2GB line. Upgraded that line and activated the phone on it. Done with Costco. Called 611 Verizon to reactivate the iPhone on the 2GB line and transfer the new phone to my unlimited line. All done - 3rd line still has unlimited.

ajjeepguy

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

So after reading a bunch and getting my question answered above I am pretty sure I have this process down. So just for review
1) Transfer upgrade from unlimited line to line that does not have unlimited - Done
2) Wait for Note 3 to ship and hope the shipment confirmation email is right as the order confirmation email shows the original line (question answered above currently waiting)
3) Activate Note 3 on the line that the upgrade was transferred to that does not have unlimited data (from reading it seems like the easiest way to do this is online from the Verizon website if someone could confirm that. As the phone on this line is a Note 2 do I just use the sim card that is in the Note 2 currently for this.)
4) Reactivate the original phone back to the line that does not have unlimited data
5) Activate the Note 3 on the line that has unlimited data (the phone one the line that currently has unlimited data that I am trying to do this for is a Droid Razr is that sim compatible)
6) Be happy I don't have to use the Droid Razr anymore with its crappy battery life and I still have my unlimited data

Any I might have missed or forgotten or should watch out for?

petaholic#AC

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site

I Have Almost Read This Entire Thread! Help Me If Someone Has Time. I Want To Find A Way For A Note 3. I Have Been "Awarded" An Early Upgrade By CS (Mgmt. Approval/Phone Call, Not Store They Said). Also Told That Even With Mgmt Approval, Normally Early Upgrades Aren't New Releases BUT I Was Told Earlier By A Rep I Could. New Rep Said If I Were Told I Could Have A New Release Then They Would Honor That. I Almost Said Yes I Saw This Thread.
#1 Upgrade 2/14 Unlimited
#2 Upgrade 7/14 Tiered
Should I Add A Line? Wait For Line #2 Upgrade To Switch To Me?

Cares

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site

I Have Almost Read This Entire Thread! Help Me If Someone Has Time. I Want To Find A Way For A Note 3. I Have Been "Awarded" An Early Upgrade By CS (Mgmt. Approval/Phone Call, Not Store They Said). Also Told That Even With Mgmt Approval, Normally Early Upgrades Aren't New Releases BUT I Was Told Earlier By A Rep I Could. New Rep Said If I Were Told I Could Have A New Release Then They Would Honor That. I Almost Said Yes I Saw This Thread.
#1 Upgrade 2/14 Unlimited
#2 Upgrade 7/14 Tiered
Should I Add A Line? Wait For Line #2 Upgrade To Switch To Me?

I don't think you can use this trick to keep unlimited data. Usually with early upgrades the CSR has to process the order for you on that line. They won't be able to transfer the upgrade which is necessary for this trick.

MDsmartphone

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site

So I haven't kept up with this thread in a while and with all the posts the process keeps getting confusing.

I have two unlimited lines.
I added a third line with an lg dare for 9.99 per month.

I ordered an iPhone 5s "upgrade" from this new lg dare line.

It FINALLY arrived today.

So please correct me if I'm wrong.

I activate the new phone on the lg dare line and choose 2gb data plan.
I then reactivate the lg dare on that line and choose pay as you go data and/or call Verizon and tell them to removed data.

I then take the new iPhone and activate it on one of my unlimited lines (original droid RAZR maxx)

But...Sim cards not compatible so I'm assuming I can't activate online.

I'll have to go to the store, without my RAZR maxx, and with an empty Sim iPhone 5s, and ask them for a new Sim or to activate it on my RAZR maxx line.

Is this right ? Alternatively can I just call Verizon and ask them to ship me a new Sim for the iPhone....if so will they ask why?

Please help.

Thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4