[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

I'm very sorry if this has been posted before further back but I'm running into a road block. My line has unlimited data and is ready for an upgrade. I'd like to transfer that upgrade to a line that doesn't have an upgrade. The guy I talked to told me I'd lose my unlimited data if I do that. Everyone here seems to say differently. Did I just get a rep that doesn't know what he's talking about? Or am I missing something?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Just do it on Verizon's website. Many reps won't do it.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site

Just do it on Verizon's website. Many reps won't do it.

So you can confirm that doing it through the website will let me keep unlimited data?

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

I'm very sorry if this has been posted before further back but I'm running into a road block. My line has unlimited data and is ready for an upgrade. I'd like to transfer that upgrade to a line that doesn't have an upgrade. The guy I talked to told me I'd lose my unlimited data if I do that. Everyone here seems to say differently. Did I just get a rep that doesn't know what he's talking about? Or am I missing something?

Why are you even telling them your plans? Don't tell then crap. Just walk in the store tell them you want to transfer upgrade from line A to line B. Do it and get the phone you want and leave.

Hey home and do the test online. Be a grown up and act like you know what you are doing. Don't ask permission, don't ask if it can be done, just do it!

Tapatalk mofo

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

So you can confirm that doing it through the website will let me keep unlimited data?

If you need it to be confirmed start at these one and read every page!

Tapatalk mofo

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site

Why are you even telling them your plans? Don't tell then crap. Just walk in the store tell them you want to transfer upgrade from line A to line B. Do it and get the phone you want and leave.

Hey home and do the test online. Be a grown up and act like you know what you are doing. Don't ask permission, don't ask if it can be done, just do it!

Tapatalk mofo

Haha I like that attitude. I just get worried that taking that approach may get my unlimited data taken away from. That's something that I hold very dear Haha. Thanks for the info though dude.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

This is a loophole and as such, there are no absolute guarantees. But many many people have had success even if they were to take away unlimited, within 14 days of the change, you can return the phone and get unlimited back.

This really is as close to zero risk that you can get for a loophole. But if you want zero risk, just don't do it.

luvdldy#AC

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site

OK... I only have one line right now, but I have a dumbphone. Can I add the dumbphone and still keep my unlimited data on the smartphone side? It says I will have to use a share everything plan. I just want to make sure if I add the dumbphone that the share everything WON?T cause me to lose the unlimited data. And will I also be able to upgrade the dumbphone to the S4 afterwords?

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

OK... I only have one line right now, but I have a dumbphone. Can I add the dumbphone and still keep my unlimited data on the smartphone side? It says I will have to use a share everything plan. I just want to make sure if I add the dumbphone that the share everything WON?T cause me to lose the unlimited data. And will I also be able to upgrade the dumbphone to the S4 afterwords?

The unlimited data line has to keep a smartphone on it. You will lose your unlimited data on the share plan. You would yet to convert your plan to an old family plan to add a line.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

With the payment plan, can you keep your unlimited data if you utilize this option?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

With the payment plan, can you keep your unlimited data if you utilize this option?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

If you use the device payment plan, yes you can keep unlimited

jims52

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Sorry if this question has been asked before...

I have a smartphone and my wife uses a dumbphone. We are on the Verizon 700 minute Family plan with unlimited data. Can my wife upgrade to a smartphone and us still keep this same plan?
I asked in the Verizon store and was told no, that once she upgraded to a smartphone we would loose the unlimited data.

My friend just tried this with AT&T, giving his wife his old iPhone and as soon as they pinged the phones and realized there were 2 smartphones they took him off his unlimited and put him on a 3 gig plan. He had to fight with them and drop his wife back to a dumb phone to keep his old plan.

desisangel

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

@jims52 Yes you can upgrade the dummy phone line to a smartphone. The cheapest choice will be 2gb for $30. This won't affect your unlimited line. I had this done for my brother's line and downgraded to the Loyalty 500 minute plan, making the monthly increase for the new smartphone line only an extra $20.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AC Forums mobile app

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

@jims52 Yes you can upgrade the dummy phone line to a smartphone. The cheapest choice will be 2gb for $30. This won't affect your unlimited line. I had this done for my brother's line and downgraded to the Loyalty 500 minute plan, making the monthly increase for the new smartphone line only an extra $20.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AC Forums mobile app

I thought the loyalty plan was 550 min, or at least mine was. Otherwise, your unlimited is safe, so long as you don't upgrade the unlimited line itself. There is currently a loophole where you can transfer the unlimited data line upgrade to a non unlimited line and still keep unlimited, when the time comes for your upgrade

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375714436306.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375714436306.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 59

ManiacalMF

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

Ok, I just want to clarify my steps here, as my wife and I are looking into getting new phones and not breaking the bank by buying full retail phones:

Account:
Main line: my wife with Droid RAZR (unlimited data)
Secondary line: me with Droid RAZR (unlimited data)
Third line: father-in-law with LG Revolution (4GB limit)
Fourth line: mother-in-law with Samsung Stratosphere (2GB limit)

The upgrade date for me and my wife is in January. When that time comes, we transfer our upgrades to the other two lines and purchase the new phones. The price at which we purchase will be at the cheaper subsidized price, correct?

When we receive the phones, we activate the phones on their lines, deactivate them, and activate the phones on our lines. Is this right?

Intellemerc

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

Question to see if anyone else has run into this and have any suggestions.

I ordered a new phone from target's Mobile site S4 on sale. When I get the phone I get a piece of paper with the phone that has a big warning the jist of it is if I swap this phone to another line I incur a $400 deactivation charge. Any Thoughts? I bought this with the intention of swapping it with another device as recommended in this thread.

Found this after the fact...
Q. What if I upgrade the second line and then swap the phone to the primary line?
A. This will be considered a deactivation, when this happens the ESN swap will trigger a deactivation/cancellation across all carriers and you will incur an instant savings discount penalty.

Last edited:

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

I ordered a new phone from target's Mobile site S4 on sale. When I get the phone I get a piece of paper with the phone that has a big warning the jist of it is if I swap this phone to another line I incur a $400 deactivation charge. Any Thoughts? I bought this with the intention of swapping it with another device as recommended in this thread.

Q. What if I upgrade the second line and then swap the phone to the primary line?
A. This will be considered a deactivation, when this happens the ESN swap will trigger a deactivation/cancellation across all carriers and you will incur an instant savings discount penalty.

It's called fine print. And it has been discussed more then one time in this thread. I think only Verizon and Best Buy are the ones you can swap out. Only hope is to send it back for a refund.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

This was mentioned multiple times in this thread. Only verizon, Costco, and best buy do not charge the secondary etf. Best option is to return the phone, pay restocking, and buy from one of the providers above. Best buy currently will pm local b&m stores

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I'd go ahead and ship it back, have them refund your money and reverse all changes to your account.

Intellemerc

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

Thanks, I sent it back they say they have 100% money back to hopefully they won't charge a restocking fee..

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Ok, I just want to clarify my steps here, as my wife and I are looking into getting new phones and not breaking the bank by buying full retail phones:

Account:
Main line: my wife with Droid RAZR (unlimited data)
Secondary line: me with Droid RAZR (unlimited data)
Third line: father-in-law with LG Revolution (4GB limit)
Fourth line: mother-in-law with Samsung Stratosphere (2GB limit)

The upgrade date for me and my wife is in January. When that time comes, we transfer our upgrades to the other two lines and purchase the new phones. The price at which we purchase will be at the cheaper subsidized price, correct?

When we receive the phones, we activate the phones on their lines, deactivate them, and activate the phones on our lines. Is this right?

Yes you have it correct. Just be sure you but from Verizon, Costco or Best Buy who don't charge fee for deactivating the phone. I've actually only personally done it with Verizon.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87