[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Now maybe all the panic-sowing will stop on these forums

Posted via the Android Central App

Until the next plan Verizon comes up with to end UDP. They probably didn't want to tangle with the FCC. One of the few times I appreciate the government. Don't think they will stop there.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

Until the next plan Verizon comes up with to end UDP. They probably didn't want to tangle with the FCC. One of the few times I appreciate the government. Don't think they will stop there.

I agree, Verizon probably has plans to end unlimited data another way such as just yank them away

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

Nothing like finding the dark cloud within the silver lining

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I agree, Verizon probably has plans to end unlimited data another way such as just yank them away

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Highly doubt it at least for the foreseeable future. They might fix it so you can't get subsidized upgrades or make some future phone incompatible with UDP, but I strongly doubt that they would take it away outright.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

steveinil

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site

anyone comferm the amazon deal still works? i am wanting to pre order the note 4 ? im due an upgrade on my udp line.

Prometheus90

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site

News Flash Guys Verizon is no longer doing network optimization. I'm just gonna order the phone when it comes out now.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

Has anyone used an upgrade from a dumbphone line and avoided the data requirement? Specifically by not activating the new smartphone on the dumbphone line and directly activating it on an UDP line by SIM swap?? Please post if you have.

Ralar

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site

I bought my iPhone 6 via Costco.com. I was able to keep my UDP by using the SIM card from my old phone. I had 1000 texts and hotspot as features on the account. After I activated the iPhone (using the old SIM card) both features -- tests and hotspot -- were still on my account. But, the hotspot would not work. I waited about a week, as some people have posted that the "change order" may automatically drop off after a few days. No such luck. My intention was to remove the broken hotspot feature and then add it back in a few days, but I kept getting an error message saying I should call customer service. I just got off the phone with a Verizon tier 2 tech (as recommended on another forum). The hotspot feature was removed from my account and I still have UDP. I tried to add a free feature (basic visual voicemail) just to see if I could now manage the account online, and I got the same damn error message as before the hotspot was removed. I guess the tech removed the hotspot but not the change order. I guess I'll wait a few days and then call to have the hot spot added back.

I normally only use a couple GB of data per month, but I like UDP so I can tether my iPad when wireless is not available and not have to worry about data. When I travel, I tend to use much more data due to iPad tethering. My daughter is on her grandparents plan and is limited to 2 GB/mo. so she often turns of cellular data and tethers to my phone if we are in the car. If I can't get tethering back on my UDP, I might as well switch to TDP.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

I guess I'll wait a few days and then call to have the hot spot added back.

thanks, let us know how it goes. People have been doing this method for quite a while I think so I'm surprised I haven't seen more posts regarding the pending activation / change order. Perhaps they have changed how the system handles this recently?

lh3

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

Hi. Where do you look to see if there is a "pending activation" on your line after you have upgraded your phone using single line BB method? I haven't even unboxed the new phone I got, and my acct. shows my current device, same UDP plan, and 2 year contract extension.

thanks, let us know how it goes. People have been doing this method for quite a while I think so I'm surprised I haven't seen more posts regarding the pending activation / change order. Perhaps they have changed how the system handles this recently?

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

Hi. Where do you look to see if there is a "pending activation" on your line after you have upgraded your phone using single line BB method? I haven't even unboxed the new phone I got, and my acct. shows my current device, same UDP plan, and 2 year contract extension.

Actually, for the BB method there won't be a pending activation. Pending activation comes from ordering the phone on one line, and then immediately activating it on another. "Ralar" has shown that even though there is no pending activation from the BB method there is something in the system that marks the fact that a new SIM (which kills your UDP) was assigned to a line and never activated. I'm not sure how one would go about finding out about this or its impact. Hopefully others will chime in.

Has anyone done the BB method more than once on the same line? Just wondering if it does anything to your upgrade eligibility date.

bupp

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

Hey all! Been a while since I posted here, way back in April when the m8 came out and we were all trying to get it on best buy's website. I was wondering if that was still a working method because now my friend is upgrading and looking to keep his UDP.

needausernametoask

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site

Hello everyone.

I ordered and received an iPhone 6 last week from BB that I have not activated yet. After hearing that Verizon will not be doing network optimization on unlimited data users I have decided I'm most likely going to return the iPhone.

Before returning I'm thinking about testing out the device. I mostly want to see if XLTE is available where I live and what kind of speeds I can get. I'm currently using a Droid DNA which uses a micro SIM card and I wasn't sure if I wanted to cut it down. I ordered a nano SIM from the Verizon online chat after I received the iPhone 6. Is it ok to use that nano SIM from Verizon? Is the switch order just on the SIM card that came in the iPhone? I could cut down the micro SIM in the DNA but then I would need to use an adapter in the DNA and I've heard of people having problems with that.

Thanks for any help.

Ralar

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site

Actually, for the BB method there won't be a pending activation. Pending activation comes from ordering the phone on one line, and then immediately activating it on another. "Ralar" has shown that even though there is no pending activation from the BB method there is something in the system that marks the fact that a new SIM (which kills your UDP) was assigned to a line and never activated. I'm not sure how one would go about finding out about this or its impact. Hopefully others will chime in.

Has anyone done the BB method more than once on the same line? Just wondering if it does anything to your upgrade eligibility date.

I spent a lot of time on the phone with 2 different tier 2 techs yesterday. The first one manually removed my hotspot option and told me I should be able to now make any changes I desire. A few hours later I went to setup my voicemail and realized that the voicemail button does not work. I called and spoke to a different tier 2 tech. He had no idea why I could not make changes, and he was also having difficulty making changes. I let him run diagnostics (fearing that I was about to lose UDP) and he reported back that everything looks great. He even said the SIM card was working fine and he couldn't see anything in their system that would prevent changes (no holds on the account, no past due bill, etc.). He asked for help from his supervisor and then came back to me still puzzled. He decided to take one more look at my SIM card. He said he thinks the problem is that I'm using a SIM card from a Moto phone and iPhones like their own SIM cards. So, he put in an order for a new SIM card. I'm hoping that when I pop in the new SIM card I'll be good to go. Since there appears to be nothing in the system that would change my account; the new SIM card shouldn't affect my UDP, right?

I'll report back after I get the new SIM.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

So, he put in an order for a new SIM card. I'm hoping that when I pop in the new SIM card I'll be good to go. Since there appears to be nothing in the system that would change my account; the new SIM card shouldn't affect my UDP, right?

I'll report back after I get the new SIM.

Be extremely careful. Depending on how the SIM card was ordered by the VZW employee it can make you lose your UDP.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Be extremely careful. Depending on how the SIM card was ordered by the VZW employee it can make you lose your UDP.

Yes someone reported earlier losing unlimited that way.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty