[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

Fred76

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

you should of had activated the nano sim with that device demo on your line first due to the fact that since its a new sim it may cause for you to lose the UDP if you activate the device that you will recieve...

Vancouverbluz

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site

OK thanks I'll just cut my micro sim. So even if I tried to activate it on a borrowed moto x for instance that will be a problem? I tried to put it into my old s3 but it said can't activate tureen off your old phone first.

Fred76

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site

well if you borrow that moto x you can activate the nano sim on that moto x ...if the nano sim does not fit the moto x buy a adapter for the nano sim and go that route...and the old phone has to be off especially if its a 3g phone in order to activate the 4g sim....hope that goes well for you

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

Welp the day has come people! Verizon has the Note 4 right now for 150. Transfer is the preferred method for my situation. I'm going based on all of the info I've gathered here. Although I'm confident on the outcome for keeping my UDP I'd still like to get some reassurance on the appropriate steps. So I'd like to jot them down one more time juuuuust to make sure I'm doing things accordingly.

1. Activate the phone on the line my UDP was transferred to with the preinstalled simcard
2. Make some calls, send some text from this line for a bit then switch back to the previous phone
3. Activate the new phone on my UDP line with the already installed sim card

Am I missing anything? I will need to switch phones through the website correct? And what is the preferred method for doing this? Thx for the help!!!!

Kenobi27

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site

Hi, Been reading a lot on several threads and still a bit confused, or maybe cautious is a better term...
I think I have a fairly simple situation and any advice I'd be grateful for.

We have 3 lines all month to month now and eligible for upgrade.
Want to get an iPhone 6 on all 3 to replace our iPhone 4's
We have 2 unlimited data and 1 2GB tiered lines on a Family Nationwide Talk & Text 1400 plan.
We have no problem with renewing 2 year contract on tiered line or others, just don't want to lose ULD or pay full price for phones.
The 2GB line is mother-in-law's in New York, we are in California.
(So I won't have this phone physically with me to switch devices but not sure I need to)

Line 1 UDP upgrade yes
Line 2 UDP upgrade yes
Line 3 TDP 2GB upgrade yes (New York)

I think my plan is this:
1. Upgrade Line 3, renew 2GB plan, activate online to complete order once phone arrives, make few calls and text, then switch back to iphone 4.
2. Transfer upgrade from Line 2 to Line 3 and do it again. Renew 2GB plan, activate to complete order, make few calls and text then switch back.
3. Transfer upgrade from Line 1 to Line 3 and do it again. Order iPhone, activate to complete order, make a few calls and text then switch back.

4.Get 2 new nano sims for first two phones, borrow friends iPhone 5s and activate new sims on both UDP lines making them 4G lte ready.
5. Place sims in first 2 iPhones and activate on both UDP Lines 1 and 2. Re-activate 3rd and send to mom in New York.

Questions:
1. Is this possible? Should I modify in any way?
2. How long will I have to wait from activating phones to transferring upgrades and ordering another?
3. Is there a term for this method? I've heard of Flying Arrow and Scyzek method but haven't been able to track down details.

Thanks for any info or advice

Unicyco

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site

I've read many messages on this thread, but I'm still unclear about my situation. I have the following:

Line 1: Basic phone with an upgrade
Line 2: My smartphone with UDP and an upgrade
Lines 3-5: Other smartphones with 2GB TDP and no upgrades

So using the BestBuy method, does it matter if I invoke the upgrade on Line 1 or Line 2 (and then transfer my existing sim to the new phone)? I have heard that as of November, Verizon is adding 2 year data contracts for upgrading basic phones, but if I don't activate the new sim, will that be applied to the account?

Really appreciate any advice you can give me! Thank you and Merry Christmas!

mlee1212

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site

Hi Everyone,
I've read through the the pages and saw many similar situations but not the exact same as mine so I just wanna be sure. ..

Line 1- Note 3 UDP (no upgrade available)
Line 2 - basic phone (upgrade available)

I've ordered the note 4 with the line-2 upgrade and will add a TDP to this line. I would like to give my Note 3 to line-2 and activate the new note 4 to line-1

steps to take?
-activate the new note 4 on line 2 with TDP along with the sim card that it arrives with.
-send some texts, make some phone calls. Wait an hour or so..
- can I simply switch the sim cards around or do I switch devices on vzw.com ?

D4rkShaDoWz

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

Hey guys,

I did this last year when I was ordering my Moto X through Verizon but I wasn't sure if the process was still the same. I have:

Line 1: iPhone 5 w/ Unlimited Data
Line 2: Sister's phone w/ unlimited data
Line 3: Moms iPhone 6 with 2GB data

My sister (Line 2) wants to upgrade her phone to the iPhone 6 but not lose her data. I was going to transfer her upgrade to Line 3 (mom's iPhone 6), activate the phone on her line and then switch the SIM cards. Should that work? Any issue with upgrading and swapping SIMs? Thanks so much dudes.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Your steps are correct assuming you are using a tiered data line with an upgrade (or moving an upgrade to that line).

To switch phones, you just need to power off the phones on both lines. Then just log in to Verizon and you can switch phones from there. It's pretty easy and the preferred way to do it. Hypothetically, you could do it in store, but it's not necessary.

Posted via Android Central App

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Your method is solid and correct; though, you don't need to do steps 5 and 6. You won't need new SIM cards and can activate the new phones on lines 1 and 2. Once you put the old phone back on line 3, the SIM cards in the new phone are free and safe to use.

If you look at the SlickDeals thread, you are doing the 4ever method.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Just transfer your unlimited upgrade to one of the tiered lines and ignore line 1 altogether. Activate the new phone on the tiered line, confirm it works, put old phone on tiered line, and move new phone to line 2.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

After you activate the new phone, you can either swap sim cards or use the switch phone section online at Verizon. Both ways would work just fine.

D4rkShaDoWz

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

Just transfer your unlimited upgrade to one of the tiered lines and ignore line 1 altogether. Activate the new phone on the tiered line, confirm it works, put old phone on tiered line, and move new phone to line 2.

Not sure this is for me, but thanks! I just wasn't sure if the process of upgrading changed at all since last time.

Vancouverbluz

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site

Well I just cut up my sim and put it in the 1 dollar droid turbo and it Bb works! I still see unlimited data. Is there a chance that they'll take it away from me after 14 days when I've had it and can't return it? I would rather return it than loose unlimited. Is there anything else I should do or check on my account?

By the way all. Be sure to use wire cutters instead of scissors for it gives a cleaner cut off the sim.

Last edited:

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

Well I just cut up my sim and put it in the 1 dollar droid turbo and it Bb works! I still see unlimited data. Is there a chance that they'll take it away from me after 14 days when I've had it and can't return it? I would rather return it than loose unlimited. Is there anything else I should do or check on my account?

By the way all. Be sure to use wire cutters instead of scissors for it gives a cleaner cut off the sim.
Unlikely. I have my unlimited data almost 5 months since I upgraded through the BB method.
Just do not use the SIM which came with the new device and you will be all good.

XopherC

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site

Hello everyone!

Can someone please confirm whether the following will work or if there's a better way to go about this?

Background: Family Share Plan
  • Line 1 - UDP - HTC Incredible (Original Release from when they were CDMA and did not have a SIM Card - Upgrade available)
  • Line 2 - TDP - Samsung Galaxy Stellar (Micro-SIM - No upgrade until June 2015)

Given that Line 1 does not have a SIM card, my assumption is that some creativity is required in order to make the BB method work.

Action Plan:
  1. Switch lines between the Incredible (UDP - CDMA) and the Stellar (TDP - Micro-SIM) on Verizon's website
  2. Order Samsung Galaxy S5 (Micro-SIM) on Best Buy using the Line 1 (UDP) Upgrade and have it sent to my house
  3. Remove the S5's Micro-SIM and replace it with the Stellar Micro-SIM - this should now have the UDP info as a result of Step 1 above
  4. Insert the Micro-SIM that came with the Best Buy S5 into the Stellar
  5. Replace the Incredible (CDMA) on the TDP line by activating the Stellar with the new Best Buy Micro-SIM

Questions / Concerns:
  • Step 5 above has two "activate" options: 1. "a device that I previously used with this account" and 2. "a device that I have not used with this account". Are these based on the SIM or on the device? I will have used the Stellar on the TDP line previously, but not with the new Micro-SIM that came with the S5
  • Does activating the SIM that was associated with Line 1's upgrade on Line 2 create an issue?
  • If the response to the question above is, "Yes"...how do I acquire another Micro-SIM so that I can put the Stellar back on Line 2?

I want to do this for my wife's birthday (Jan 28), so I need to act quickly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

For those that did the transfer upgrade, when did your contract end date change on your UDP? A little bit after you made the purchase or after you turned the phone on and activated it? I ordered my note 4 on the 25th and nothing has changed on my account. The phone was just delivered today so based on nothing updating on my Verizon account, I'm assuming the contract date will change once I turn the phone on.

Still nervous to do this but from everyones info on here that has done this all you did was turn the phone on, use it for a bit then switch the phones around. Sorry I'm repeating myself but I like to be sure of things first, especially with my UDP! : )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez