[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Hi is there anyway to keep udp and purchase a phone from costco...the are offering a 70 dollar rebate on the note 4. if so how would that work, this is my phone situation. If costco is not doable, what would you recommend

bought new nano sim at var had to call verizon to complete activation of sim
line1 htc dna with a nano sim installed udp upgrade available
line 2 moto droid maxx no sim tdp no upgrade available

thanks in advance

Costco can do in-store transfer upgrades. Hypothetically, you could go to Costco and ask them to move your upgrade from Line 1 to Line 2. At that point, upgrade the Maxx to the Note 4 and let them activate it in store on Line 2. Once that is done, take the phone home as use Verizon online to move the Note 4 to Line 1 and reactivate the Maxx on Line 2.

If you want to order phones online, your best bet is to use either Verizon or Best Buy as they are the only two that allow upgrades to be transferred (which is the method you should use). If you want to do the "Best Buy Method", I do not recommend ordering online from Costco. There have been a few people who lost their unlimited because Costco has been known to randomly push through the plan change.

MaybeImaLion

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site

Line 1- UDP Samsung s3
(single plan)

I have read the last 10 pages up and down and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I was wondering if maybe someone could tell me why this is only viable through a 3rd party affiliate. (Thanks in advance btw) But I was thinking if I were to go to a local VZW authorized retail store and ask to use my available upgrade for a nexus 6 and explain that it's a for a friend off carrier and I'm helping him out. I could probably get it without them activating it, no? (this is kind of a long shot but there really isn't anything to lose) Anyways, the real question is what is the difference between getting a non turned on phone from a 3rd party and a non turned on phone from vzw?

Sorry for the ignorant novel, guys. lol

Last edited:

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Line 1- UDP Samsung s3
(single plan)

I have read the last 10 pages up and down and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I was wondering if maybe someone could tell me why this is only viable through a 3rd party affiliate. (Thanks in advance btw) But I was thinking if I were to go to a local VZW authorized retail store and ask to use my available upgrade for a nexus 6 and explain that it's a for a friend off carrier and I'm helping him out. I could probably get it without them activating it, no? (this is kind of a long shot but there really isn't anything to lose) Anyways, the real question is what is the difference between getting a non turned on phone from a 3rd party and a non turned on phone from vzw?

Sorry for the ignorant novel, guys. lol

That is an extreme long shot. In theory, if you can get an non-activated/non-turned on phone, your plan would work. I seriously doubt they will let you walk out with a non-activated phone; though, the gift angle is the way to try it. If it works, all you need to do is cut your existing SIM from the S3.

If it doesn't work, you'll need to do order the phone from Best Buy and cut your old SIM. It's not recommended to do this through Verizon online.

djshakez

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site

Hello all!

Happy to confirm success using the BestBuy Method with my upgrade. I switched from S3 to S6 by cutting down my existing Micro-Sim card to a Nano-Sim and plugged it into S6. Calls/Data both working and VZW recognizes the device online along with the UDP.

We'll see if this changes over the next month or so, but so far, so good.

FYI, I used the Aerb Sim Cutter from Amazon.

mgrankin

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Should I change the sim card in the note 4 to the one from the DNA when I activate it on line 1

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Should I change the sim card in the note 4 to the one from the DNA when I activate it on line 1

It depends on the method. If you activate the note 4 on your tiered line, there is no need to use your old SIM.

Posted via Android Central App

Commander Bob

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

I've been waiting to do this for a few weeks now , been waiting for a note 4 to go on sale. I have to 2 lines, my tiered line is not due for an upgrade, my udp line is- finally best buy has this phone on sale for $200- I go to pull the trigger - there's no option on best buy's web site to "transfer the upgrade" from my other line on my account. I punch in my phone number I want to upgrade- and it just says I can start an edge account, or wait until November. I thought I've read on this thread that Best Buy IS able to swap upgrades from one line to another? So I called the 800 number and talked to a best buy employee- she said she is not able to swap the upgrade from my one line to the other- but to call verizon and ask them to make the swap. Of course I did that and they said they can't make any kind of permanent swap so that Best Buy can see it?

I really want to get a $200 note 4- is it safe to do a "Edge upgrade" and still stick with the method here of never using the sim that comes in the new phone and just proceed as normal with the best buy method? Or does starting a new Edge upgrade screw up things?

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Commander Bob

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

1) Order a nano-SIM card by calling Verizon and having one shipped to you
2) Order the new iPhone from Best Buy using the upgrade on your line.
3) When the new phone arrives, do not turn it on or plug it in, remove the SIM card that ships with the phone and destroy it
4) Log onto Verizon online and click activate or switch a device
5) If you are asked do you want to activate or verify the phone that just shipped to you, click on "No, I want to activate a different device" or "Not activating my new device at this time, take me to the Activate or Switch Device page"
6) Click you want to activate a device that has not been on your account before
7) Type in the IMEI of the device and SIM card number of the SIM card you ordered in Step 1
8) Continue to follow the instructions

If you run into problems, just let the forum know and we can help. If you decide to add your parents to your plan, there is a different method you can do (though the above one should still work).

I think I'm just going to follow the advice on this post and directly upgrade my udp line via best buy. If my current udp phone has the same Sim card as the Note 4 im going to get, does step 7 change for me? Would/ could I just enter in my current udp sim card when asked to? Thanks!

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

I think I'm just going to follow the advice on this post and directly upgrade my udp line via best buy. If my current udp phone has the same Sim card as the Note 4 im going to get, does step 7 change for me? Would/ could I just enter in my current udp sim card when asked to? Thanks!

If you do the direct upgrade through Best Buy, do NOT do that! Don't do any activating or anything. Simply insert your current active SIM card into the new device and power it on. That's it! It will provision/activate itself.

Also, do not power on the new phone with the SIM card it ships with in it! This will cause you to lose your unlimited data. Remove the SIM card before powering on the phone. Destroy the SIM card so it is impossible to use it ever again! I burned mine with fire until there was only a little roasted piece of copper left, but you can cut it into tiny pieces or something like that.

anon4843263

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site

Sorry for the stupid question but I have read this entire thread and am a bit confused.

In our house we have two phones on VZ.

One is an iPhone 5 and the other is a silly slide phone.
Data is only on the iPhone.
Both lines are eligible for MONTHS for upgrade.
We have a UDP with 700 min.

Over two years ago we did a transfer of lines? to get the "upgrade" on the dumb phone and then swapped lines back to the original numbers.

Can we do this to keep the UDP????

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

Im assuming the loop hole is still open? I was hearing about vzw trying to close it by charging people the data charges for the 2 years of the contract on the basic lines if you did it. Just want to check if there was any update on that b4 i look into new phones.

mgrankin

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

I will be ordering the note4 from best buy as the price has dropped to 199. Here's my scenario
L1..HTC DNA nano sim
Udp upgrade available

L2....droid maxx nano sim
Tdp no upgrade available

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

I've been waiting to do this for a few weeks now , been waiting for a note 4 to go on sale. I have to 2 lines, my tiered line is not due for an upgrade, my udp line is- finally best buy has this phone on sale for $200- I go to pull the trigger - there's no option on best buy's web site to "transfer the upgrade" from my other line on my account. I punch in my phone number I want to upgrade- and it just says I can start an edge account, or wait until November. I thought I've read on this thread that Best Buy IS able to swap upgrades from one line to another? So I called the 800 number and talked to a best buy employee- she said she is not able to swap the upgrade from my one line to the other- but to call verizon and ask them to make the swap. Of course I did that and they said they can't make any kind of permanent swap so that Best Buy can see it?

I really want to get a $200 note 4- is it safe to do a "Edge upgrade" and still stick with the method here of never using the sim that comes in the new phone and just proceed as normal with the best buy method? Or does starting a new Edge upgrade screw up things?

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Best Buy is able to swap upgrades between lines; though, it does not work for everyone. I'd recommend following the directions here: Slickdeals.net - View Single Post - Upgrade and keep your Unlimited Data with Verizon as they give you picture directions on what to do. The main thing is to select the Note 4, choose "upgrade my device", and then input the tiered phone number. You should get the option to transfer the upgrade. If you are typing in the unlimited phone number, that is the reason for your limited options.

As for your question, do not do an "Edge upgrade". You want on-contract pricing.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Sorry for the stupid question but I have read this entire thread and am a bit confused.

In our house we have two phones on VZ.

One is an iPhone 5 and the other is a silly slide phone.
Data is only on the iPhone.
Both lines are eligible for MONTHS for upgrade.
We have a UDP with 700 min.

Over two years ago we did a transfer of lines? to get the "upgrade" on the dumb phone and then swapped lines back to the original numbers.

Can we do this to keep the UDP????

What phone are you trying to get? It's a fairly simple process depending on the new phone.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Im assuming the loop hole is still open? I was hearing about vzw trying to close it by charging people the data charges for the 2 years of the contract on the basic lines if you did it. Just want to check if there was any update on that b4 i look into new phones.

There are definitely some loopholes that work with basic phone upgrades. Verizon closed the one of activating the new smartphone and then reactivating the basic. So, the process is a little different than before, but it is still possible for you to upgrade. When you are ready, just respond back with your current plan/phones along with what new phone you want.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

I will be ordering the note4 from best buy as the price has dropped to 199. Here's my scenario
L1..HTC DNA nano sim
Udp upgrade available

L2....droid maxx nano sim
Tdp no upgrade available

1.) Transfer your upgrade to the tiered line, order the Note 4, and have it shipped to home
2.) When the Note 4 arrives, activate the phone on the tiered plan for at least an hour. Test to make sure calls, texts, and data work.
3.) Power off the Note 4.
4.) Reactivate the Droid Maxx on the tiered line
5.) Activate the Note 4 on the unlimited line.

Enjoy!

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

There are definitely some loopholes that work with basic phone upgrades. Verizon closed the one of activating the new smartphone and then reactivating the basic. So, the process is a little different than before, but it is still possible for you to upgrade. When you are ready, just respond back with your current plan/phones along with what new phone you want.

Thanks. Last time I used my bothers basic phone . so I transferred my upgrade to the basic line. Ordered a motox with 2gb data. Activated the device when it came. Then re activated the basic phone data plan got canceled . then just popped my Sim card into the moto x and was all done.

What's the process now? He still has a basic phone and I have a motox with unlimited. ( family plan 700min shared, unlimited text , and unlimited data 3 lines and one basic line. )

Posted via Android Central App and my Moto X

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Thanks. Last time I used my bothers basic phone . so I transferred my upgrade to the basic line. Ordered a motox with 2gb data. Activated the device when it came. Then re activated the basic phone data plan got canceled . then just popped my Sim card into the moto x and was all done.

What's the process now? He still has a basic phone and I have a motox with unlimited. ( family plan 700min shared, unlimited text , and unlimited data 3 lines and one basic line. )

Posted via Android Central App and my Moto X

Verizon shutdown what you did last time to get the Moto X. The good news is that you can still upgrade using the basic line with a similar process as to last time with just a few key changes. Basically, it comes down to SIM size for the appropriate method:

Matching SIMs (i.e. both are nano)
1.) Order the new smartphone you want using the basic line's upgrade and have it shipped to home
2.) When the new smartphone arrives, do not turn it on or plug it in
3.) Remove the SIM that ships with the phone. Destroy this SIM
4.) Take the SIM from the Moto X and put it in the new smartphone. Give the new phone a few minutes and it will become activate on your unlimited line.

Mis-Matched SIMs
1.) Order the new smartphone you want using the basic line's upgrade and have it shipped to home
2.) When the new smartphone arrives, do not turn it on or plug it in
3.) Log into Verizon online and click "activate or switch device"
4.) Select your unlimited line (you might have to select that you do not want to activate the device that was just shipped)
5.) Select that you want to activate a phone that has never been on the account before
6.) Enter the IMEI and SIM numbers that come with the new smartphone.
7.) Follow the rest of the directions to activate the phone on your unlimited line.

Enjoy your new phone!

iclickjohn

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

I just called BB and asked if I could transfer my upgrade to the "other" line, pick out a phone for that line and take the phone home unopened as a "gift" "wink wink nudge nudge say no more, you know what I mean?" And lo and behold, they said yes I could do that. So then I'll follow the steps of the Mis-Matched SIMs and hopefully, we will see what happens. Heading there within the hour...wish me luck.

mgrankin

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

1.) Transfer your upgrade to the tiered line, order the Note 4, and have it shipped to home
2.) When the Note 4 arrives, activate the phone on the tiered plan for at least an hour. Test to make sure calls, texts, and data work.
3.) Power off the Note 4.
4.) Reactivate the Droid Maxx on the tiered line
5.) Activate the Note 4 on the unlimited line.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the info but i not clear on what to do with the sim cards. Reading thru all the different senarios kinda confused me on what sim card should be in the phone when I activate them. Can you please clarify this for me...thanks in advance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty