Buying First Smartphone Ever - Droid Incredible

keebz

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I just registered on the site after using it since yesterday to get all sorts of information, and really I just have to say wonderful job to the editors as well as the community.

Now, I have never had a smartphone before (think old flip-phones with texting disabled and no data plan). I worked out my finances and am reallocating some funds from our monthly expenses so I can move money from one thing to get the (very expensive!) monthly $29.99 data plan. I have a few questions if you guys can help me out.

First, I will most likely be ordering through Dell because of the Black Friday free Droid Incredible + $25 Dell Gift Card deal. I will be talking to them tomorrow or so just to order and confirm a few things, but I wanted to ask you guys, regardless if you've had experience with Dell Mobile or not.

Some of these may be very basic questions, but I need to ask them as I don't have experience (and I have done plenty of reading but reassurance and clarification is always nice!) with any smartphones and don't want to end up with a $1000 monthly bill.

1. I will only be purchasing the $29.99 monthly unlimited data plan, not any text messaging plan. Does the data plan automatically include unlimited texts, and if not, what features will I be losing out on for my Droid Incredible besides the obvious text messaging. I will also be asking Verizon to disable text messaging on my phone so I don't receive any and get charged.

2. If I don't get any text messaging plan and I also have Verizon disable them entirely for my phone, can I still use messengers like AIM, MSN, etc.?

3. Big thing nowadays is Google Voice and I have been reading that you can send "pseudo-text messages" via Google Voice and they don't use the same service as text messages. So basically, if I use Google Voice's "SMS" feature, will I be charged, and can I even use it in the first place if text messages are disabled on my phone?

4. I'm buying this through Dell (Family Plan, 4 phones). If anything goes wrong with a phone of ours, we can go directly to a Verizon Store or call Verizon, correct? We don't have to go through Dell Mobile or something to get a replacement via warranty and what not?

5. Since I am buying through Dell Mobile, we will have the option to keep our current phone numbers, correct? (We are and have been Verizon Wireless customers since 2000 or so).

6. Anyone know or have experience with Student Discounts? My college is listed on a Wiki as being a discount partner with Verizon Wireless, and I am eligible for a 15% discount on the monthly bill. Can I get this applied when I talk to Dell Mobile to place the order, and if not, is it even a viable option?

7. Lastly, just have to ask, anyone know of promotions or free accessories being given along with orders? I remember every time we used to go into a Verizon Wireless store, we'd get the option to grab a car charger or something for either extremely minimal cost or free. If not, it's entirely fine since this Dell Mobile Black Friday deal is amazing either way (all 4 phones will be free, but I am the only one getting a smartphone).

Thanks everyone!

P.S. If this seems like a lot to answer, my apologies, but the biggest questions I'd like to have answered by you guys (others I can ask Dell Mobile) are: 1, 2, 3.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to Android and the Android Central Community! You will find everyone here to be very helpful and pleasant :). Now to answer your questions.

1 - The Data plan does not include texting unfortunately, it only constitutes data usage. As far as what else you will be missing out on, your data plan will cover your very basic needs for a smartphone.

2 - Yes. You can still use instant messaging applications because those use data. That will be included in your $29.99 data package.

3 - You will have to sign up for a Google Voice account, and download the Voice app. But yes, you can use SMS on Google Voice instead of text messaging through your carrier. It will not cost you anything extra, Google Voice is free to use from the US to other US and Canadian numbers.

4 - That I am not 100% positive on. It may depend. I got my Fascinate through Best Buy and I have to go through them for a lot of issues, so you might want to double check on that or maybe another poster can clarify this in more detail.

5 - Yes you will be able to keep your number if you are upgrading.

6 - I believe you will have to go into a Verizon Corporate store or call Verizon to get this discount applied to your account. They usually ask for some sort of proof that you are eligible.

7 - I'm not sure of any off the top of my head, but the Android Central Store has some pretty good deals on accessories ;) hahaha

Either way, be sure to shop around on Verizon's website and other websites as well for last minute deals on Black Friday.

I hope this helped, and welcome again!

Reactions: keebz

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
First Off, welcome to Android. :) I think you'll enjoy it and find that $30/mo isn't as bad as you first thought once you start using the device.

I'll do my best to answer the questions.

1. The $30 data plan does not include text messaging, so blocking it will be a good idea. That being said, you can use Google Voice to text message for free. You'll just have to let your friends know that you have 2 different numbers (one for mobile, other is google voice)

2. Yahoo messenger, AIM, Gtalk, etc. are all included in the data plan, so blocking texting will not block them.

3. Google Voice is a free secondary number. It also provides for Free Text messaging as long as you have the Google Voice app (free) on your phone. Google Voice uses your data connection for text messages, so it's free. texting is free in the US and Canada (no charge at all). You can even use the Google Voice Number as a secondary phone number for your device. I use mine to give out to businesses who might need to contact me but I don't want them to have my cell.

4. In the first 30 days you need to deal with Dell directly. After the first 30 days you can get warranty replacements through Verizon. The only time it really matters where you got the phone is the first 30 days. Because that location can swap out defective devices with new phones instead of Certified Like new Replacements. It's also their job to assist you with getting used to your new device. While reps in the store will help with the basics, don't expect much enthusiasm on their end if you come in with the phone and want them to spend a ton of time helping you set it up (they work on commission after all). Not trying to talk you out of getting it there. That is an amazing deal for the phone, just letting you know what to expect.

5. You shouldn't have an issue upgrading with your current phone numbers. Just make sure to select "upgrade" on their site.

6. The discount will need to be applied by a corp store. If you have a student email so @yourschool.edu the easiest way to apply for the discount is by entering that at https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...p://www.verizon.com/discounts/&token=OKJi5CVG. Dell won't be able to apply it. Remember, the account has to be in Your name for the discount to apply.

7. Those would be through Dell, so you have to check with them. Verizon stores/online won't give you special deals on accessories unless you activate in their store. They MAY have accessory bundles tomorrow, that you can pick up. But it won't be for next to nothing.

keebz

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thank you very much for the warm welcome and the explanations in great detail, ChrisKerrigan and menno!

I'm crystal clear on everything now thanks to you guys but wanted to know more about one thing and that is the discount on the monthly bill. I will not be the primary line user on the 4-line FamilyShare Plan, so my 15% discount, from what I have read, will be applied only to my own line ($9.99 + $29.99 data). However, if the primary line user also got a discount, theirs would be applied to the entire bill, correct? So, for example, the primary line charges $89.99 for the 700 Voice Minutes Plan + 19.99 for 2 additional lines.

15% on 89.99 primary (via corporate discount)
+ 15% on 29.99 data plan for my own phone (via education discount)

Either way, I can go over the rough details of this with Verizon, but it's good to hear!

Thanks again guys and I'll be posting around here more especially after I get the Droid Incredible!

I'm not going to lie... seeing all the reviews, pictures, and videos of the Droid Incredible, I think I'm going to feel like Tony Stark, Iron Man!

Last edited:

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
The only way you can get the discount to apply to anything is if the lines are in your name (The bill is in your name, you're liable for it)

it doesn't matter which line is yours, just who's name the account is under.

The discount is typically applied to any feature 24.99 or higher. So your Data plan would be covered, as would the primary line on the account. The secondary lines would not be covered.

Without a discount, your plan would be approx: 139.96

So if you have the account in your name. It would be something like this:
Primary line: $80 (15% discount)= $68
Your data plan: $30 (15% discount)= 25.5
3 add a lines (for total of 4 lines)=29.99 No discount is given to these lines because they are too small to qualify.

So your bill would be $123.49

But wait! If you're a secondary line, you also will get a $9.99/mo credit for your line for the smartphones talk free promotion. This would bring your bill to $113.49.

Remember, the bill MUST be in your name to get the discount applied. If it's not your bill will be 129.96 (normal pricing with $10 credit)

keebz

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok cool thanks, got it. The $9.99/month credit for my smartphone line is awesome.

Should be placing the order later today or tomorrow.

Jarvis here I come!

keebz

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Just finished ordering through Dell. What I ended up doing is canceling our previous contract by calling Verizon Wireless (it had already expired in September) and then we made a brand new contract with them under the same account owner/name but through Dell. Of course, I verified that this was "legal" to do and what not, and it all worked out. Only downside is we are stuck without cell phones until the phones arrive via FedEx next week but that isn't a huge problem for us. Our bill for this cycle will reflect a credit for an amount equal to the number of days we are losing Verizon Wireless Service (so, for example, this month's bill might be $10 less or something). We will need to remake our "One-Bill" or Verizon Triple Play (get a discount for it, too) with internet, landline, and wireless once our new phones are activated, but this can all be done online via My Verizon (only thing you can't do online is cancel/disconnect phone lines).

As for going through Dell, we can cancel this entire thing within the first 14 days. We can also return or talk to Dell for technical problems and receive replacement phones should they be needed within the first 30 days. After the 30 days, we can go to any VZW store or speak to VZW directly via phone/online and that is what I would prefer anyway for billing or warranty/tech support related things. As for any additional conditions/restrictions imposed by Dell, the main thing is that for 6 months from the date of activation, you need to maintain your service just how it is (no downgrading plans/phones, etc.) otherwise you will be charged $300 per phone line. After 6 months, you can do whatever you want (consulting with VZW of course).

The rep was pretty nice (Dell Mobility) but it was very funny how, when she was going through the order, she would say "I've also added a screen protector for the Droid Incredible and the Pantech Crux since they are feature/smartphones". If I wasn't paying attention, this would have slipped right by me but I said no to it of course regardless of any sale (I'd rather take my time and browse through reviews, forums posts, etc. than to buy something on the spot). Same thing happened with the yearly device protection plan but I declined (haven't needed it with our current phones either and one of our phones was replaced in-store and we don't pay any yearly or monthly warranty amounts...). And, of course, as advertised by Dell, I'll be getting 1 $25 Dell Gift Card for the Droid Incredible I got.

Ended up with the $69.99/month Family Talk Share Plan, 700 minutes (no texting). 4 lines and my line is the only smartphone with the $29.99 data package, and since my line is a smartphone with the data package, I get the monthly $9.99 access fee waived. I will be calling VZW next week after the phones are activated and what not to discuss the corporate discount on the entire bill via the primary line [account] owner as well as disabling texting on all 4 phones.

Anyway, I hope to see you guys soon and see what great things the Droid Incredible can do. Also hope this can help anyone that is thinking about ordering through a major 3rd-party retailer, specifically Dell Mobile. Once again, here's to my very own personal Jarvis and becoming Iron Man! :)

P.S. I found this interesting and did not know but when she was telling me the contents of each phone's box, she said the Incredible comes with a 2GB MicroSD card, and the Pantech Crux with a 1GB MicroSD card. I, of course, asked if this was free and in the box as opposed to purchasing it separately but apparently it comes with the phones. Didn't know that.

P.P.S. I am anxious to see how the 1350 mAh battery holds up especially with the recent updates. I am considering the 3500 mAh battery or the 2150, but I want to test it out first with the stock battery. I've read almost all the forum discussions here and elsewhere about the 1750, 2150, and 3500 batteries and will keep it in mind, but hopefully I don't need it.

Last edited: