What do I need to do to my phone to sell it?

stardust342

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Selling Phone

Ok, so I needed a new line, but didn't need a new phone, so I bought an S6 Edge, took the SIM card out, and put it in another phone, and everything is working fine. I just want to know if I am clear to sell the phone on something like eBay, and the person who got it would be able to put their SIM into it and have it work fine. Also, what do I list it as? Is it Carrier Unlocked or what would it be considered?
Thanks!

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Selling Phone

Ok, so I needed a new line, but didn't need a new phone, so I bought an S6 Edge, took the SIM card out, and put it in another phone, and everything is working fine. I just want to know if I am clear to sell the phone on something like eBay, and the person who got it would be able to put their SIM into it and have it work fine. Also, what do I list it as? Is it Carrier Unlocked or what would it be considered?
Thanks!
You can sell it. It is carrier unlocked. Just need to check the bands on the phone and the potential carrier.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

You should list it as a Verizon/unlocked phone. It will not fully work on any other usa carriers (missing bands /features)

Sent from my Verizon LG G4

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

Is the phone 100% paid in full? Or is it under contract because if it's still on contract whether 2 year or edge you cannot sell it because esn will not be clear to sell. Unless I'm mistaken.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Is the phone 100% paid in full? Or is it under contract because if it's still on contract whether 2 year or edge you cannot sell it because esn will not be clear to sell. Unless I'm mistaken.
You can sell it, and the new user would be fine, so long as you continue the contract. If you become delinquent in your contract then Verizon would blacklist the phone

huskers15

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

I'll keep paying for the contract of course.
Thanks for the info.

You can sell it through Swappa.com , its very good site and better than ebay. There are people who work there watch everything and make sure the sale is smooth. Good luck!

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Why would someone buy the phone if verizon can shut it down if OP stops paying his bill? What recourse would the buyer have? Sounds like a terrible risk to take even if I knew the seller, let alone from a total stranger.

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Why would someone buy the phone if verizon can shut it down if OP stops paying his bill? What recourse would the buyer have? Sounds like a terrible risk to take even if I knew the seller, let alone from a total stranger.

That's why I avoid buying used. And yes it is a risk. People probably do it to save money.

Sent from my Asus Zenfone 2

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

I don't think they "blacklist phones" unless the phone is reported stolen that is, or the user never deactivated the phone before selling it. Otherwise once they deactivate the phone by activating anther phone in its place. The phone is now clear for resale, regardless of whether the phone was under contract. Carrier only cares about the money owed, not the phone. So you and the buyer are safe once you deactivate the phone before you sell it.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site

I've purchased a Verizon phone from a friend. They went so delinquent on their account that it went to collections. The phone still on the plan was blacklisted, the phone in my possession did not, and I just recently passed that phone on to my nephew.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Legally, until the phone is fully paid for, you don't own it, and would have to get a written release from the carrier to sell it. I've never heard f them doing it, but they could sue you and they could seek to have criminal charges brought against you. The law is clear, it's just never been tested. (Neither had the law against downloading copyrighted music been, until a housewife was hit with a multimillion dollar judgement because of music her daughter had downloaded.)