Dumping Verizon UDP???

Spirtir

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking for some advice. I currently have Verizon unlimited data attached to a family plan (700 shared minutes and unlimited texting). The speeds in my area are terrible and have been for about 8 months. I called Verizon to try to get it fixed and they just keep telling me they are bringing new towers online "soon" but won't give me a time frame. I even tried calling corporate and threatened to leave. They basically told me that they don't care and that they will even waive the ETF on the one line remaining in contract (4 lines total).

So I'm thinking over my options. T-Mobile is strong in my area and I was also thinking of trying Project fi. With the $20 a month increase for poor service I don't know if I should stay with VZW. Here is one of the best speed tests I've been able to pull.

2015-10-14 19.08.17.jpg

wassct

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I just switched to TMobile last week. So far so good in my area so I have no regrets. I did the 10gb per line for 5 lines. It's 140 one line is free. I previously had 2 udp lines with Verizon. I was nervous because of coverage but so far so good. I do realize there will be certain areas which I may not see great coverage but it's so much cheaper. Needed my final bill to send to TMobile and couldn't access on my Verizon. Went to the store and they printed it for me and said next time it's $5. Really! See ya Verizon. I was a customer for over 20 years.

MJNYC7

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
i would suggest you sell your unlimited data plan online and try out at&T or cricket . t-mobile and sprint you might not get coverage everywhere.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the forums allow discussion of selling UDP accounts (assumption of liability). I'm pretty sure I saw one of the Mods post to that effect.

Otherwise, I was getting similar up and down speeds on VZW. I just switched to the Nexus 5X and my reception has improved. Still not great, but I can pull 2-4 Mbps down most of the time. Whereas before I was lucky to get a connection.

Spirtir

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Otherwise, I was getting similar up and down speeds on VZW. I just switched to the Nexus 5X and my reception has improved. Still not great, but I can pull 2-4 Mbps down most of the time. Whereas before I was lucky to get a connection.

What phone were you using before? I actually tried a few different phones on my line (LG G2, LG G3, Moto Droid MAXX, and now I'm on the Nexus 6). Support sent me a new Sim and that didn't help either. I think the towers are just oversubscribed in the area.

Spirtir

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried a signal booster?
Also which band are you on?

I have not tried a signal booster. At home I am on WiFi so I don't have a problem. It is a big issue when I am out in the neighborhood around my house. I get good signal strength and calls and texts work fine, it is just extremely slow data. It only started happening in the last year; before that I didn't have any issues.

How would I check which band I am on?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It is possible that Verizon tweaked the antennas

This. One of our other mods here on the forum had this issue. VZW was great at his house then they re-arranged some things (they confirmed this to him) and his signal went so bad he had to go to AT&T.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
This. One of our other mods here on the forum had this issue. VZW was great at his house then they re-arranged some things (they confirmed this to him) and his signal went so bad he had to go to AT&T.
I had the opposite affect... They tweaked the antennas so I am getting much faster speeds...lucky for me. Unlucky for those who are adversely affected by the tweak though.

Spirtir

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I didn't even realize this was a possibility! Thanks! When I called them they just said it was a known issue in my area and that it would be fixed "soon". I don't know what that means to them and they wouldn't get more specific when I pressed them. I think close to 9 months is "soon" enough, but I guess not. It sounds like my only solution is to leave and go to another carrier that works better? The only one I haven't tested is Sprint.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

What phone were you using before? I actually tried a few different phones on my line (LG G2, LG G3, Moto Droid MAXX, and now I'm on the Nexus 6). Support sent me a new Sim and that didn't help either. I think the towers are just oversubscribed in the area.

I didn't even realize this was a possibility! Thanks! When I called them they just said it was a known issue in my area and that it would be fixed "soon". I don't know what that means to them and they wouldn't get more specific when I pressed them. I think close to 9 months is "soon" enough, but I guess not. It sounds like my only solution is to leave and go to another carrier that works better? The only one I haven't tested is Sprint.

I was using a HTC Droid Incredible 4G (Band 13). I'm on the Nexus 5X (Band 4 & 13). Don't get your hopes up that they are fixing the "known issue". They've been giving me that excuse for years.

Here's the HTC
Ookla HTC Apt.png

Here's the 5X . . . upload speed is weaker than usual today
Screenshot_20151024-172621.jpg

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
For the HTC: (Not LTE here . . . but representative of signal from same location as data for the 5X)
VZW HTC Apt.png

For the 5X I will add shortly. Both are Band 13 from this location (when the HTC connects to LTE; it bounces from 3G to LTE)

5X LTE.jpg

I spoke too soon . . . 5X just kicked to 3G
5X Home 10-24-15 (2).png
5X Home 10-24-2015 2200 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Spirtir

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I see I am on band 13. My N6 is supposed to support band 4 but I guess it isn't in my area.
2015-10-25 14.18.02.jpg
I ran another test today and even though I am inside, this is much better than anything I see during the week.
2015-10-25 14.19.29.jpg

Thank you so much for showing me the tool I need to check the band I am using. I'll have to keep an eye on it this week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress