So, Verizon has finally admitted they're going to tiered data plans.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
The grandfathering probably only covers your current phone I'm betting, meaning that the next phone I get will require me to change data plans.

What pisses me off is that they denied it and denied it for months, it's not like they just decided this over night. They've known and just didn't want to say anyhting about it.

I don't think they would do that. My friend has AT&T and when he go this new phone after they started tiering their data plans they did not make him change tiered plan. If Verizon does, they would be INCREDIBLY stupid since this would piss off a lot of the original Verizon users.

I agree that they should tier their plans because im sure they got a ton of people switching to VZW once the iPhone came out and now they might as well capitalize on anyone who is late to join the party.

Super_Mario

Banned
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
But the manufacturers are only going to produce phones which the carriers will carry. Meaning that if they aren't willing to spend the money to improve their network, they shouldn't carry phones which are going to stress their network. This is true of all carriers though, not just verizon. If the phones are outpacing their willingness to really expand their networks, then they all need to pull back and stop carrying all these new phones until they can afford to beef up their network capability. It's just ridiculous to advertise all these cool new features and then do something to hinder the customer's ability to use them.

They are not hindering the user, they're just making you pay for all those features. And if you want them to improve the network, wouldn't that be why they are charging more?

nfalbo

Sep 24, 2010
twitter.com
I am a bit worried by the change. I range anywhere from 500MB a month to 3GB a month of data usage depending on what travelling I have to do. I would be willing to pay $30 a month for in-between 3 and 5 GB a month data.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I do about 4-5gb when I first got the phone and last month I did about 2.6gb. 2GB is not a lot for those who do not have wifi near them at all times.

Dunbar42

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
They're going to copy AT&T so 150-200MB/$15, 2GB/$25 and $10 for each additional GB. The world didn't come to an end when AT&T did this. Data rollover would be a nice feature though. Don't forget the lower data tier saves a lot of people money.

zog1977

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
i am with AT&T now thinking of switching over to verizon.

Last month i used 4.8 gigs of data. I stream XM radio all day at work and email alot of pics.

Tiered data would not be ideal for me. I was waiting for new phones but i might just jump early to get locked into an unlimited plan..

Any word on the 4G plans yet?

Dabeer

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm shopping for a new phone, and I like the upcoming Thunderbolt and Bionic, but I'm worried about the 4G plan requirements. If I sign up for the unlimited plan now (with my existing piece of crap Samsung SCH-i760), and get the Bionic when it comes out, will I be able to keep the unlimited plan, or will they force me to "upgrade" to a tiered 4G plan?

Or, since I don't think I'll be able to afford the 4G plans, should I give up my hopes of a better device and settle for the Droid Incredible and the security of keeping my unlimited plan?

Dabeer

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
will I be able to keep the unlimited plan, or will they force me to "upgrade" to a tiered 4G plan?

I just got off the phone with a Verizon customer service rep who assured me that if you have the unlimited data plan, there is nothing they can do to force you out of it when activating a 4G smartphone so long as you are keeping the same voice plan.

So now the question is... do I give in to my impatience and pick up a CPO Droid Incredible, or do I wait for the Droid Bionic?

Super_Mario

Banned
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I just got off the phone with a Verizon customer service rep who assured me that if you have the unlimited data plan, there is nothing they can do to force you out of it when activating a 4G smartphone so long as you are keeping the same voice plan.

So now the question is... do I give in to my impatience and pick up a CPO Droid Incredible, or do I wait for the Droid Bionic?

And they know this how? 4G data plans are not even out and you can't even have a 4G modem without a 4G plan. So the person you were speaking to was talking out of their @$$.

Dabeer

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
And they know this how? 4G data plans are not even out and you can't even have a 4G modem without a 4G plan. So the person you were speaking to was talking out of their @$$.

He said modems and smartphones are in different categories. Modems require a 4G plan explicitly, but the smartphones all fall under the same umbrella of "data plan".

Then again, he could be wrong... I'll probably order the DInc tomorrow anyway, because I'm tired of waiting for the Bolt and Bionic (wouldn't be able to afford them anyway).

Super_Mario

Banned
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
He said modems and smartphones are in different categories. Modems require a 4G plan explicitly, but the smartphones all fall under the same umbrella of "data plan".

Then again, he could be wrong... I'll probably order the DInc tomorrow anyway, because I'm tired of waiting for the Bolt and Bionic (wouldn't be able to afford them anyway).

Being that the plan details have not been released, I really don't know how the rep would have known either way. Trust me, I want unlimited 4G data as much as the next guy but if VzW decides that they don't want Unlimited, there will not be Unlimited.

lament

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Me too, I've already dropped down to the $15 a month 150 or 200 meg plan after several months of using 75 to 100 megs per month

I was told that there was a $15/month data plan when I looked at upgrading my wife's phone to a Droid X (she doesn't need 4G), but that it ended in January.

Was anybody able to get a $15/month plan recently (as in this month)?

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
This kinda sucks. My contract is up July 2012, and at that point I'd be leaving my parents' plan meaning I probably can't have unlimited data grandfathered in.

But who knows? Things may drastically change by then (although with AT&T and Comcast putting caps on bandwidth use for home internet, it doesn't look like it'll be for the better).

angie7340

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Well, I've been due for a phone upgrade for a few months, so I guess now is the time get it it. Question though.... if I do renew my contract for two years with the $30 unlimited data plan, when Verizon comes out with the new tiered plans, will I be able to change? I realize that I will be grandfathered in and able to keep the unlimited, but I'm more worried about the pricing. I realllllly want a new phone now, but if I will be stuck with the $30 data for two years, maybe I should wait until the tiered plans are available. Any thoughts?

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You can call now and have your contract on your own so you can still keep it.

How will that work exactly? Everything on the family plan is shared except for my data plan, and I'm not the administrator of the plan. If this is indeed feasible, I can probably do this in May once I graduate from college (hopefully I'll have more work over the summer - right now I barely make enough to cover rent/utilities and food, my parents still pay my phone bill).

imprezu

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I just got the Thunderbolt but I already had unlimited 3g data so now I have unlimited 4G. My wife is not elegible until October but already has unlimited 3g data. When they switch to tiered should I scramble and get her somehow locked into the 4g unlimited before it ends or should the plan she has now be able to get grandfathered in?

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
If they are going to a tiered system they need to offer MORE variety!

I'm talking about, several different tiers for all kinds of users. From light to heavy. I would like to see 1GB, 3GB, and 5GB plans. That would make most sense. That way you cater to light, medium, and heavy users. To offer any plan less than 1GB is silly. It would be too easy to go over your limit if you only had 250MB or 500MB plan. I wish Verizon and other carriers would think this way.

I'm still grandfathered into the 5GB capped $30 data plan and I rarely reach 1GB a month. To me that's still pretty heavy usage but I know some others that's nothing.

Reactions: orchidsbloom

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38