Would like to use UDP in mifi or LTE router. Suggestions please.

redwood66

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
So the SNR jumps around from 8-16 db and the Signal is -96dBm. Is this good/bad/ok? If bad what can I do to make it better?

Should I have this jetpack set at 2.4ghz or 5.0?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure about your specific mifi, certain ones allow for external antenna. You can also walk around the area, sometimes certain spots will have better connectivity, usually near the window.

Either 2.4 or 5ghz is fine. 2.4 usually has more range, while 5ghz is usually less crowded.

Kyprain

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Thank you all so much for your help. I ended up buying a Mifi 6620L from ebay for $55 because I don't want to invest $300 if this is not going to work out for me.

I have the Mifi 4620L, and the problem is the wifi is only good in that room where the Mifi is, just for one room in the house. Plus it keeps on going into hibernation mode all the time. I read about the 6620L it has similar problems.

The MOFI4500-4GXeLTE-SIM4 V2 seams to be the answer for me. But like you, is it worth the $300? I am still on the fence, because of the price. But then I don't have to buy a separate router that will work with the Mifi in question.

I was hoping someone bought this already and give us some feed back.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have the Mifi 4620L, and the problem is the wifi is only good in that room where the Mifi is, just for one room in the house. Plus it keeps on going into hibernation mode all the time. I read about the 6620L it has similar problems.

The MOFI4500-4GXeLTE-SIM4 V2 seams to be the answer for me. But like you, is it worth the $300? I am still on the fence, because of the price. But then I don't have to buy a separate router that will work with the Mifi in question.

Well the mofi 4500 doesn't offer wifi 5ghz which for me means that I would need another router anyway. It also doesn't have gigabit ports (all are 100mbps).

You can pick up a t1114 for around $70ish used, then buy another router. I paid $20 for my Asus RT-N56U and it works pretty decently (for the price). Gets to every corner of my house (although my house isn't very big). You can of course buy a better router.

With that said the mofi 4500 does look like a sweet unit, especially since you can choose band.

redwood66

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
So I did a bit of testing last night in the house. I have a split level house rather than a true 2 story, so the 6620L placed higher up on a shelf in the kitchen within view of the lower and upper levels seems to work well (35-40ft distance). The upper level has the living room with a dumb tv and Apple TV connected. I connected my ipad playing a movie and cast it to the Apple tv and it played perfect with no loss or buffering. Speedtest on the ipad and my macbook were near 30mbps while upstairs.

Kyprain I am not sure how far you need it to go but for me this is going to work without any additional devices. I did order an adapter for an external antenna I already had for a verizon USB modem that I used years ago. Will see if this helps my signal from 4 bars to 5 on the device.

Kyprain

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
To dpham00 the t1114, do you have any problems it going into the "hibernation" mode. That is my biggest problem with the 4620L, sometimes I have to power off and back on before I will be connected. Thanks

Kyprain

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
To redwood66 I need the device to reach at least 60 feet. I have a sprinkler system that is connected to my wifi.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So I did a bit of testing last night in the house. I have a split level house rather than a true 2 story, so the 6620L placed higher up on a shelf in the kitchen within view of the lower and upper levels seems to work well (35-40ft distance). The upper level has the living room with a dumb tv and Apple TV connected. I connected my ipad playing a movie and cast it to the Apple tv and it played perfect with no loss or buffering. Speedtest on the ipad and my macbook were near 30mbps while upstairs.

Kyprain I am not sure how far you need it to go but for me this is going to work without any additional devices. I did order an adapter for an external antenna I already had for a verizon USB modem that I used years ago. Will see if this helps my signal from 4 bars to 5 on the device.
The device might allow you to increase the wifi range (I know my ac791l does). It would of course use more batteries.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
To dpham00 the t1114, do you have any problems it going into the "hibernation" mode. That is my biggest problem with the 4620L, sometimes I have to power off and back on before I will be connected. Thanks

I have never had a problem with the t1114 hibernating. The t1114 is designed to primarily be used for home Internet, unlike the mifi units. It runs very solid for me. More stable than my cable modem when I had twc.

Kyprain

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I just bought the t1114 from ebay, spent $25, even though it won't work I am willing to take a chance. Thanks for the heads up.

Posted via the Android Central App

redwood66

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Here is an interesting tidbit of info from today. I called verizon to see about adding my husband as an authorized person because his corporate discount is better than mine. Well I could add him if the CS rep was able to send me a text to my phone and read it back to him. His system would not let him send me a text for security reasons.
Reason - he could see that I had another device on the line in the last 30 days and he said it was a jetpack.

I am not using the jetpack fully yet because I don't have the dumb phone line set up to forward to.

He had no issue with it being in a jetpack other than the system would not let him send the text because I did not have the same phone on the line for 30 days in a row. Lesson learned here for me is be careful what you have to call in for. Had he not delved deeper into the account to see why the line was not available to send a text to then he would not have seen that the sim had been in a jetpack previously. Hopefully when they see this stuff they are not noting your account with all kinds of flags.

Kyprain I hope it works for you.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Here is an interesting tidbit of info from today. I called verizon to see about adding my husband as an authorized person because his corporate discount is better than mine. Well I could add him if the CS rep was able to send me a text to my phone and read it back to him. His system would not let him send me a text for security reasons.
Reason - he could see that I had another device on the line in the last 30 days and he said it was a jetpack.

I am not using the jetpack fully yet because I don't have the dumb phone line set up to forward to.

He had no issue with it being in a jetpack other than the system would not let him send the text because I did not have the same phone on the line for 30 days in a row. Lesson learned here for me is be careful what you have to call in for. Had he not delved deeper into the account to see why the line was not available to send a text to then he would not have seen that the sim had been in a jetpack previously. Hopefully when they see this stuff they are not noting your account with all kinds of flags.

Kyprain I hope it works for you.
If he has a corporate email, just verify employment using your husband's email.

redwood66

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
If he has a corporate email, just verify employment using your husband's email.

Yes I can do that but in order to use his discount I have to have him added to the account according to them. I thought I had to make him the account owner but I guess not.

Thanks so much for all of your help.

redwood66

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
I got everything set up. Added a DuraXVplus for him for the $9.99, forwarded my # and put my #'s sim into the mifi (mine gets the 18% discount on features) and put his sim into my phone. I did keep the wifi hotspot feature with discount on the mifi line because I think that is the right thing to do. It is discounted at $24.60 instead of $30 but all the devices in our house will be using it so the GBs will be high. To me if you are not paying for the hotspot feature that is just asking for them to take it. I think that we are on the up and up with how we have it set up now. Our usage will not change and it is the same as if I were only using the hotspot on one phone for everything. I cancelled the hotspot for the sim that is in my phone.

Thanks dpham and everyone else for your help.

Signal is good in the whole house and we had PS4, PC, tablet, and netflix on the tv going last night with no issues just to check it out. Download speeds were 28-32mbps.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

I just ordered the Mofi. Should get it in a couple days. I have a T1114 but it was giving me problems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez