Verizon allegedly ends two year service contracts

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Just tried to order a device. The only options available are DPP and full retail. Just another FU from the people at Verizon. Unreal.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Verizon has always been on the high end of costs for their network and customer service. The increase to upgrade a phone with them to now $30.00 is becoming highway robbery, similar to the monopolistic controls of the old 'Baby Bells' from the old land line era. After being with them for many years, I'm going to take a serious look at T Mobile, their updated coverage map throughout Colorado, the West and especially here at the house. T Mobile has always been a bit 'thin' out west... maybe they've improved.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Verizon has always been on the high end of costs for their network and customer service. The increase to upgrade a phone with them to now $30.00 is becoming highway robbery, similar to the monopolistic controls of the old 'Baby Bells' from the old land line era. After being with them for many years, I'm going to take a serious look at T Mobile, their updated coverage map throughout Colorado, the West and especially here at the house. T Mobile has always been a bit 'thin' out west... maybe they've improved.
I've never understood the upgrade fee on a device payment plan since you're paying for the phone fully anyway. Just a money grab for Verizon.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I've never understood the upgrade fee on a device payment plan since you're paying for the phone fully anyway. Just a money grab for Verizon.

Exactly! I had it waived the last time, when I got the Note 5 in Nov 2015. But that was only a 'courtesy' when I dropped the UDP and also got a nice credit from them.

Verizon is playing hardball on 'everything', phones, activation fees, warranty and extended warranty replacements.

I've had AD's, managers and reps tell me that 'customers come first'. Really? 🙄

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
New rules for keeping unlimited data:

• Don't go over 200GB/month.

New rules for getting a new phone and keeping unlimited data when off-contract:

• Buy it outright (from anyone).
  • Buy it on DPP.
  • Don't go over 200GB/month.

/endthread

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind that last year the cutoff was 500gb. Now it's 200gb...it might get lower in the next round

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Thank god i hate thoose thungs
I assume your talking about hate contracts. Verizon is getting rid of them for a reason, it benefits them financially. Take the S7 edge, aprox $800 full retail. Contract price was $299. The ETF starts at $350 and decreases every month. Do the math,

S7 edge contract price.. $299
upgrade fee..... ... $40
ETF............................. $350
Half month service. $25
Total......................... $714

Not much savings, but $85. And if you port your number right away, you lose the half month $25

Verizon did an excellent job in convincing people contracts were bad and telling us they dropped contracts. What are device payments, a form of contract and they got people to pay full retail price, and now bill credits.... That is a contract, you can pay it off early to get new phone, but then you lose the benefit of the cheap price it free.

Contracts were made to sound bad, but you could always break them and pay the ETF and most times you were cheaper paying the ETF and contract price over the full retail price. Verizon is sitting back loving how they pulled this off.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I assume your talking about hate contracts. Verizon is getting rid of them for a reason, it benefits them financially. Take the S7 edge, aprox $800 full retail. Contract price was $299. The ETF starts at $350 and decreases every month. Do the math,

S7 edge contract price.. $299
upgrade fee..... ... $40
ETF............................. $350
Half month service. $25
Total......................... $714

Not much savings, but $85. And if you port your number right away, you lose the half month $25

Verizon did an excellent job in convincing people contracts were bad and telling us they dropped contracts. What are device payments, a form of contract and they got people to pay full retail price, and now bill credits.... That is a contract, you can pay it off early to get new phone, but then you lose the benefit of the cheap price it free.

Contracts were made to sound bad, but you could always break them and pay the ETF and most times you were cheaper paying the ETF and contract price over the full retail price. Verizon is sitting back loving how they pulled this off.

...Everyone else did this too, right?

Or just T-Mobile?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rholme