Is Verizon doing away with original UDP

Tisha722

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Just received a call from Verizon trying to sell me on the new UDP and convince me to switch. I currently have 3 lines on the 700 unlimited talk, text plan with 2 smart phones and one dumb phone. Advised her we were happy with the plan and weren't interested in switching at this time. She then asked if I received a letter from Verizon saying they are switching folks to the new plan. Told her we would cross that bridge when we received the letter. Has anyone else on the old UDP received a call/letter from Verizon? I was part of the Note 7 mess so both lines are eligible for the upgrade but we went back to our S5 after we sent the phones back. The contract expires 8-14-2018 but technically we should no longer be under contract because the phones were sent back. I don't think they can force me change since I'm under contract still.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
They have been trying to push people off the legacy UDP for awhile now. They first started with people using a ton of data (500+) and recently lowered it to 200 GB. I assume they will keep lowering this amount until they force everyone off the legacy UDP.

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I have UDP since 2011, and granted, I only use a few gigs of data a month since I tended to do more gaming on my phone vs youtube/netflix in downtime sessions, but still, if they say wanna give me 12 gigs a month for the same 30 bucks I'm spending for a UDP classic I might consider it.

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
Gone since LTE has gotten to be as fast if not faster than home internet.. and then people started using it as such so they had to stop it.

my local cable company recently had a promo for 1gig internet for just $65/month, so I jumped on it.... will be a while before 4g or 5g can catch up to 1gig internet speed.... :)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
my local cable company recently had a promo for 1gig internet for just $65/month, so I jumped on it.... will be a while before 4g or 5g can catch up to 1gig internet speed.... :)
Yep. Around here 1 Gbps is 90 a month. I have TV and Internet so a little more expensive but not much. My average is...

05577fb9205af2644e80680b42609c56.jpg

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I expect that Verizon will give high data usage people maybe another year to switch to the new plan... It is likely that more disconnect letters will be sent out.

AIR-11

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Wondering about this myself, too. What do see Verizon doing? I have 3 lines on the grandfathered in UDP and 1 line with 2GB limit. I'm contemplating switching to the new UDP and adding a bunch of family members on the plan for a total of 8 lines that we can all split the bill, should save us all a bunch of money, but I'm wondering if there's some hidden catch if we give up our grandfathered UDP and switch to this new one. What do you think would be the down side?

AIR-11

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Good move. This new plan is progress for many, but a wolf on sheep's clothing for us OG UDP owners.

Wondering about this myself, too. What do see Verizon doing? I have 3 lines on the grandfathered in UDP and 1 line with 2GB limit. I'm contemplating switching to the new UDP and adding a bunch of family members on the plan for a total of 8 lines that we can all split the bill, should save us all a bunch of money, but I'm wondering if there's some hidden catch if we give up our grandfathered UDP and switch to this new one. What do you think would be the down side?