Transferring Files and Apps From a Rooted Optimus V to HTC Evo 4G

stuincalif

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking of shutting down my Optimus V in favor of a new Virgin Mobile HTC EVO 4G. My Optimus V is rooted and I've moved a lot of my apps (including some system apps that are memory hogs like Maps) to my 8gb storage card in order to free up RAM on the phone. My questions are -

1) Can I simply replace the 8gb card that comes with the HTC with the 8gb one that is currently in my Optimus V?
2) If not, can I transfer all the contents of the original storage card to my computer and then selectively transfer the non-system apps and directories from the computer to the HTC's storage card?

Obviously I want to avoid any problem with any system files that might crash the HTC as a result of being installed a second time on the storage card. The only reason I rooted the Optimus V in the first place was to move the bloatware from the phone's internal memory onto the storage card. I don't want to spend a lot of time downloading non-system apps again, so hopefully there is a quick way to make the switch as seamless as possible.

I also assume there is no reason to root the HTC since it comes with 1gb of internal memory.

Thanks for your help!

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: Transferring Files and Apps From a Rooted Optimus V to HTC Ev

1) Yes.

2) Just swap the cards. You'll be fine. When you log into your google account, you can reinstall the apps like you had before and they'll pick up where you left off.

2b) You can go into Settings > Apps > All and "Disable" (more like Deactivate) the apps you don't want running. It's built into ICS now. They'll still show as installed in Google Play, but they'll never run or update.

3) There's plenty of reasons to root aside from trying to free up Ram.

stuincalif

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site

Thanks so much! So even if I've moved a lot of system files to my storage card, the new phone will ignore them in favor of the ones that are part of its internal memory? I suppose if that's the case, I can delete them from the storage card, correct?

Again, thanks much!

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site

Thanks so much! So even if I've moved a lot of system files to my storage card, the new phone will ignore them in favor of the ones that are part of its internal memory? I suppose if that's the case, I can delete them from the storage card, correct?

Again, thanks much!

How do you move system files to your SD card? If you're just cut and pasting apps from /system/app to /sdcard/somefolder, then those apps are no longer installed and won't be seen as installed apps on the new phone. They'll just be APKs in a folder. (You're gonna want to paste them back since the old phone won't have everything that it came with if you do a factory reset to clear your stuff off of it.)

If the system/stock app is not in /system/app when the phone boots up, it might as well not even be installed. I wouldn't try installing those files on a different version of Android, either.

stuincalif

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site

Hmmm...good point. Actually, after I rooted the phone, I installed BusyBox and used Link2SDCard to move some of the system apps. I believe I left all of the important system apps on the phone and only transferred the memory hogs like Maps, Poynt, and a couple of others. I guess I should go through everything and put back the ones I moved to the Optimus before inserting that card into the new phone.

And maybe I should just "clone" the 8gb card from the Optimus afterward onto the new 8gb card? I guess I can do that by simply copying and pasting.

stuincalif

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site

Also, there is a program called Superuser on the Optimus that helps transfer system files to the SD card too.

I just wanted to make sure all the apps that I purchased (games, browsers, etc.) will still work on the new phone without having to buy them again. Most of them allowed for installation on the SD card anyway. So it would be a simple matter of reinstalling all of them using my Google account so the new phone recognizes them...and keeping the same SD card after I re-transfer the system apps back to the internal memory of the Optimus?

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site

Also, there is a program called Superuser on the Optimus that helps transfer system files to the SD card too.

I just wanted to make sure all the apps that I purchased (games, browsers, etc.) will still work on the new phone without having to buy them again. Most of them allowed for installation on the SD card anyway. So it would be a simple matter of reinstalling all of them using my Google account so the new phone recognizes them...and keeping the same SD card after I re-transfer the system apps back to the internal memory of the Optimus?

Superuser doesn't transfer files.

Superuser GRANTS PERMISSIONS to whatever does help you move files around.

Better undo everything you did to put files back where they're supposed to be...

And DON'T install Link2SD on the EVO. You will break stuff.

If you log in with the same google account credentials on the new phone that you did with the old when you bought those apps, you can reinstall them from Google Play.

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I suggest using titanium on the Optimus v to backup apps then root you evo v and use titanium to put them back... Thats how I did it for some of my apps

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Revenant Ghost

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site

I suggest using titanium on the Optimus v to backup apps then root you evo v and use titanium to put them back... Thats how I did it for some of my apps

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

I was going to say the same thing. Just make sure you DON'T backup system apps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez