Battery bug

primetechv2

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
...and then it rapidly drops, right? I would say "wipe battery stats" very cautiously, although if the phone is newer it should cause less harm to the battery's life.

And yes, I have experienced something disturbingly similar to this.

Sent from my Wildfire S

thexxoffspring

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
...and then it rapidly drops, right? I would say "wipe battery stats" very cautiously, although if the phone is newer it should cause less harm to the battery's life.

And yes, I have experienced something disturbingly similar to this.

Sent from my Wildfire S

wiping stats does nothing to fix it

oatflake

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
My phone was at 17% battery but was charging, restarted phone, then my phone was at 67% battery. This isnt the first time this has happened

What you're observing is the limitations of trying to determine battery capacity, and quite likely, a battery profile that needs to be re-calibrated.

The phone knows what "percentage" a battery is at by measuring its voltage. That's all it has to go on. The only way it knows what voltage corresponds to how much battery is left is to actually watch your battery at various times during normal usage and time it, so it can guess how close to the "bottom" things are.

Unfortunately, it's not precise. Charging a battery can raise OR lower a battery's apparent voltage while it's happening, and as soon as you remove the charger, a battery's voltage can flip higher or lower depending on the state of the chemistry in the battery. Most phones will exhibit this behavior, but since they have rough battery measures you either don't notice it, or they "hide" this fact from you by delaying the update of the display.

Even warming up a battery can raise its voltage, and having a warm phone is often a side effect of the charging process. Often phones will say they are at 100% charge when in fact they are not; you will need to let them charge for another hour or two even beyond 100% because the battery really is capable of storing more charge despite the battery's apparent outward voltage being at maximum.

My advice - try doing the battery calibration procedure I posted in another thread. If you don't feel like rooting your phone, then at the very least, let your phone charge while completely OFF for at least 12-14 hours (overnight while you sleep) then let it drain down completely, and repeat this process a few days in a row. You will likely get very close to the battery calibration procedure's results.

If you are still seeing wonky results, it is possibly you have a bad battery. I'd suggest contacting Virgin Mobile and requesting a replacement.

thexxoffspring

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
What you're observing is the limitations of trying to determine battery capacity, and quite likely, a battery profile that needs to be re-calibrated.

The phone knows what "percentage" a battery is at by measuring its voltage. That's all it has to go on. The only way it knows what voltage corresponds to how much battery is left is to actually watch your battery at various times during normal usage and time it, so it can guess how close to the "bottom" things are.

Unfortunately, it's not precise. Charging a battery can raise OR lower a battery's apparent voltage while it's happening, and as soon as you remove the charger, a battery's voltage can flip higher or lower depending on the state of the chemistry in the battery. Most phones will exhibit this behavior, but since they have rough battery measures you either don't notice it, or they "hide" this fact from you by delaying the update of the display.

Even warming up a battery can raise its voltage, and having a warm phone is often a side effect of the charging process. Often phones will say they are at 100% charge when in fact they are not; you will need to let them charge for another hour or two even beyond 100% because the battery really is capable of storing more charge despite the battery's apparent outward voltage being at maximum.

My advice - try doing the battery calibration procedure I posted in another thread. If you don't feel like rooting your phone, then at the very least, let your phone charge while completely OFF for at least 12-14 hours (overnight while you sleep) then let it drain down completely, and repeat this process a few days in a row. You will likely get very close to the battery calibration procedure's results.

If you are still seeing wonky results, it is possibly you have a bad battery. I'd suggest contacting Virgin Mobile and requesting a replacement.

Im rooted, could you link me to the thread?