Semi brick? yeah. need help from experts. embarrasing. haha

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
alright.

the phone im having the problem with is the LG vortex which is verizons version of the OV.

heres the thread.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-vortex/144835-bootloop-help.html#post1514445

I know some people here can help me, and the LG V section is not too active.

at this moment right now I have the Android SDK installed and completely updated, and the JDK installed as well.

what do I do?

tried to be as detailed as possible in steps I took and what the problem is exactly, to get the best help.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I should mention, I have been thinking over my process, and I realized I didnt ever install busybox before attempting to flash the rom.

Ive flashed an OV a week ago without installing busybox though.. so clearly it must not be required.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
got ADB shell start succesfully on my triumph, so everythings installed and working in my PC.

when I connect my Vortex, it immediately turns on, stays at the LG logo, windows recognizes a device and tries to install drivers (I already have the vortex usb drivers installed)

windows reports the phone as an unknown device, fails finding drivers, then when the screen flashes it disconnects from the PC and reports that a USB device has malfunctioned.

adb never ever recognizes the phone either.

I am SO stumped, and worse yet that I havent gotten any replies.

I cant seem to find any info for how to boot this phone into download mode or emergency mode, like on the Triumph, where the PC can directly read the phones internal storage like it was a flash drive, and you can swap the recovery with another. that would make it SO much easier.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you are going to have to use fastboot, but you'll have to get info on it in your phone's forums, as it's different with each device.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
im selling the thing for parts. none of the Optimus V tricks work on the Vortex and the community for it is dead. if I get help for it it wont be for awhile and its a brick until then.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
The firmware is okay, as evidenced by what is showing, however, it's not progressing any further. Sounds like you destroyed the recovery image and system image in one fell swoop.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to progress except for one small thing you can try, if you haven;t already. You say ADB can't connect or that the device isn't recognized in Windows, pull the battery, put it back in, but do not power it on, and then plug it into the computer. I have to do ADB on my phone this way as the Lg drivers are complete junk (that or flashing a different recovery is messing with them). I'm going with junk as it seems every time I had to mess with the phone it wanted a new driver.

If it still cannot find a good driver, leave what you have and download DriverMax. It may find the drivers you need with a little luck. It's saved me a few times on those oddball things you can't find drivers for.

Until Windows find and loads drivers, ADB will not work, unless you can kick it into emergency mode, and then you have to force the settings and force the phone to take the update... Just don't ask me how to do it, I've only done it with a few routers that needed emergency flashing. It's similar, just not exact.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
The firmware is okay, as evidenced by what is showing, however, it's not progressing any further. Sounds like you destroyed the recovery image and system image in one fell swoop.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to progress except for one small thing you can try, if you haven;t already. You say ADB can't connect or that the device isn't recognized in Windows, pull the battery, put it back in, but do not power it on, and then plug it into the computer. I have to do ADB on my phone this way as the Lg drivers are complete junk (that or flashing a different recovery is messing with them). I'm going with junk as it seems every time I had to mess with the phone it wanted a new driver.

If it still cannot find a good driver, leave what you have and download DriverMax. It may find the drivers you need with a little luck. It's saved me a few times on those oddball things you can't find drivers for.

Until Windows find and loads drivers, ADB will not work, unless you can kick it into emergency mode, and then you have to force the settings and force the phone to take the update... Just don't ask me how to do it, I've only done it with a few routers that needed emergency flashing. It's similar, just not exact.

I have the correct drivers installed. managed to ADB a friends Vortex to test and eliminate my PC as the issue.

I found a copy of LGNPST (LG phone firmware flashing tool) and a full image to the phone. when I connect the phone it flashes a few times, connects and disconnects, then finally stays connected while the LG software finds the phone. it detects it, says it is corrupted, and is currently in emergency mode. I load the correct DLLs and firmware into the directories it asks, and it errors out trying to write to the phone.

ADB seems to refuse to connect regardless of anything. battery in or not. works on my old OV, my Triumph, and a friends Vortex.

two of LGs software tools can detect the phone but cannot read its information. I have to manually input its serial number to attempt the flash the correct software.

no known combination of button presses boots the phone into anything other than the LG logo. but different button combinations will change the duration between how long it takes for the LG screen to go black and come back. the recovery combination makes it flash black every other minute, normal boot makes it flash black every 20 seconds, and emergency mode button combination makes it flash every 45 seconds or so.

weird...

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Can you try using ADB once the LG software detects your phone and it stays connected, possibly?

tried that too.

I guess it really is dead. Shame too, I took the effort of taking it completely apart, sanding the rubberized coating off, and giving it a heck of a good paintjob. metalflake blue with two big white racing stripes down the middle, really glossy and polished. went well with the silver ring around the edge of the phone.

I reassembled the phone and it was still stock, before i went and did any of this stuff.

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Next time I'd recommend hacking the phone, THEN giving it the paint job :-\. Mind uploading some pics? I'd like to see :)

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
:-X
Next time I'd recommend hacking the phone, THEN giving it the paint job :-\. Mind uploading some pics? I'd like to see :)

I figured I would do the hardware stuff while its stock becuase I know whats working and what isnt when it all goes back together. I knew I could snap the touch screen digitizer, or break a delicate connection. I didnt want to risk that after setting it up how i liked. thought if it was still working when it got put back together, then id start hacking it.

either way, it was an experiment in painting a phone body, something I think looks better than any kind of case. especially when you apply a thick protective top coat and polish it well. (which i was in the process of)

Id paint my triumph the same way but not without some kind of insurance. looking to buy a Triumph phone shell, just the plastic body, paint that, then swap. too bad no ones selling that.

Reactions: kcls

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
:-X

I figured I would do the hardware stuff while its stock becuase I know whats working and what isnt when it all goes back together. I knew I could snap the touch screen digitizer, or break a delicate connection. I didnt want to risk that after setting it up how i liked. thought if it was still working when it got put back together, then id start hacking it.

either way, it was an experiment in painting a phone body, something I think looks better than any kind of case. especially when you apply a thick protective top coat and polish it well. (which i was in the process of)

Id paint my triumph the same way but not without some kind of insurance. looking to buy a Triumph phone shell, just the plastic body, paint that, then swap. too bad no ones selling that.

Wow, that looks quite amazing! *goes to hobby store...* :D

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey, I got a noob question: what exactly is the recovery, recovery image, and where is it stored? What is it in relation to the actual OS of the phone, since it can run when the rest of the phone is dead? (I should know this because my phone has a recovery, but I don't remember how it got there;) )

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Hey, I got a noob question: what exactly is the recovery, recovery image, and where is it stored? What is it in relation to the actual OS of the phone, since it can run when the rest of the phone is dead? (I should know this because my phone has a recovery, but I don't remember how it got there;) )

the storage inside an android phone is formatted into different sections, one being the recovery, another being the OS, another being app data. thats why you can wipe each one seperately without affecting the others.

when the phone boots, its wired to immediately look in a certain partition and start the kernel/recovery, which then takes over control of the device and directs the rest of the phone to load the OS, and where to find it on the storage and all that jazz.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Hello all, I've posted a guide over on XDA for fixing bootloops, hope it helps. It can be found here.

thank you for adding a reply to this thread so long after I thought it was dead. my Vortex is sitting on my table under my monitor.

I'll note that I used a very similar method to that thread to try to fix it, it kept getting stuck at the .dll loading part, but this thread seems pretty thorough, im going to try fixing my vortex right now. like literally right now :p

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
error after clicking "start" LGNPST says the cause is "Use Android Driver for CS Emergency Download."

what the heck does that mean?

im closer than I ever was before, the phone actually boots into download mode now!!! I hold the volume down and back button while plugging in the usb cable and a white screen shows up that says "verizon wireless + LG Lifes good Downloading..... do not unplug!"

never saw that before.

and on this screen is the ONLY way it connects to the pc. when i plug in the cable and the Lg logo flashes, it never even attempts to connect to my windows 7 pc. no usb plugin sounds, nothing. only on download mode.

so help me out, what driver do I need that I apparently dont have? I have the drivers for this phone installed. what did I not do right?

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
ok.... volume DOWN was the problem. derp. I dont know WHY i thought that was the right button.

anyways, volume up and down both get into emergency mode, so I thought it was working, I tried volume up and the back key, got in emergency, the damn thing started flashing, rebooted, now im in the stock rom again.

i. have. no. idea. how. to. properly. thank. you.

ugh. I want this to be my secondary device to my Triumph, for GBA games, music, email and to show friends android. but I dont want to risk doing all that damage again trying to install cm7.

anyways. thanks.