Texting: To field doesn't show contact list

tph88

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I just got my Optimus V today.

I am trying to send a text to someone, so I touch the messaging app, then Compose New Message.
Then the TO: field is blinking. I want to pick someone from my contact list. Everything I read says that if I start typing, the contact list should appear for me to pick from. But it doesn't. If I continue typing a name, it starts converting it to numbers (so acts as if it is trying to send to a # not choose from the contact list).

I have 1 contact I typed in, and the rest I imported using the gmail sync method. If someone sends me a text, the name from the contact list shows up as the from, so pretty sure the contact list is set up correctly.

fastobe

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
My phone is un-rooted and I have it sync'ed with my gmail contact list. When the messaging "To" field is up and I start to type a name, it brings up possible choices from my gmail contact list, even ones I have never texted before. That is how it SHOULD work.

You may have to sync your contacts with gmail. Select Contacts. Press the left/menu button (of the four at the bottom of the phone). Select Accounts. Make sure the Auto Sync is on (if you want it on). Press the "g" logo for your gmail account. (I have Facebook, and it shows there, too.) That should display Sync Calendar, Gmail, and Contacts. Press Contacts TWICE (off then on) and you should see it sync. You can also sync the Calendar and Gmail the same way.

See if that works. You may also try re-powering the phone to have everything sync up, if auto-sync is enabled.

tph88

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
Yes I have already synced my contacts with Gmail, and tried powering on and off.

I downloaded "Handcent" and that is able to bring up the contact list. So not sure why the regular messaging program cannot?

fastobe

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded Handcent and it works fine along with the stock messaging app. I am not using Swype, if that helps. Maybe others have seen this issue and have a solution...

tph88

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I am not using Swype. Just stock out of the box Optimus with no changes at all and it doesn't work like it should. Not sure if there is something somewhere I have to turn on to make it work?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty