Safe to charge Optimus V with 2.1 amp USB port?

Hugh Johnson

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been looking at small USB wall chargers because occasionally my phone or tablet will die at critical times. The one in particular I'm looking at has two USB charging ports. One 1 amp, and one 2.1 amp ports.

Is it safe to use the 2.1 amp port on the Optimus V? I don't want to accidentally fry my phone if I mistakenly plug it into the wrong port!

If it is safe to use, would the 2.1 amp port charge my phone any faster than the 1 amp port?

Thanks!

This is the charger I'm looking at. I'm a little concerned because it says EU/US compatible - but does say it accept 100 volt AC (US standard if I'm correct).

Locool676

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
You can use a 2A charger with no worry. Please, however, buy a charger that is UL listed, and is not of questionable quality. For example, something like this Sprint Rapid 2 1A Home Wall Travel AC DC Car Vehicle Truck SUV RV Charger | eBay or this Sprint 2 1A Micro USB Travel Home Wall AC Adapter 6 ft Data Charger Cable | eBay

I've used the latter with my Opti V and it was great. I also used it with a Moto G and X. Bad chargers kill devices, the wrong voltage kills devices. Amperage will not.

Hugh Johnson

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thank you very much for the reply, Locool676. I'd like to have two ports (one for my Optimus V and Venue 8 tablet). I think I'm going to go with the cheapy for now and try testing its voltage with a multimeter and see if it fluctuates outside of the normal (safe) range. If so at least I have eBay buyer protection if all goes well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty