Custom Boot Animations and a few other questions

Kahroo

Android in training
Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok so yesterday I have rooted my Optimus V. I didn't flash a ROM cause I didn't want to loose my Picture messaging. So is it possible to change the boot animations with the stock ROM without loosing MMS? Sorry I am quiet new to android rooting. I wanted to change the LG Logo, VM, and Android boot animations.

And another question, what are some good root apps I should get?
I have: Superuser, ADFree, Autostarts, Cache Cleaner NG, and RootExplorer. I did have SetCPU but it slowed down my phone so I uninstalled it.

.:EDIT:. And did anyone here anything about the rates going up for the $25/month plans to accommodate the data for androids?

Last edited:

Desmock

Banned
Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, set cpu shouldn't be slowing down your phone because it can't do anything without a rom that is over clock capable. Your stock rom just doesn't have the ability to allow set cpu to do anything.

Also, you wouldn't lose your mms feature if you flashed a froyo rom, that problem is only prevalent in the beta ginger bread roms. I would recommend you flash the RodimusROM 1.2.2 as it has over clock capabilities and removes bloat ware and provides some useful tweaks.

As for what apps to use once you should use after you do flash the rom, I would recommend set cpu, astro file manager, and wifi tether... For starters.

Oh also, the rom I suggested DOES change the boot animation to a cool looking green android logo rather than the dumb virgin mobile one.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Kahroo

Android in training
Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I have widgetsoid for Wifi Tethering and I am using the Wifi tethering. Even worked when I was unrooted. And what kind of tweaks does that rom have? I allready got rid of the bloat by using Titambackup.

I also have ES File Explorer I like that one better.

.:EDIT:. I would like to make my own custom boot animation.

Desmock

Banned
Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Making custom boot logos isn't something I am familiar with. Perhaps a dev will be nice and answer that one. Some other good apps are: app 2 sd free, memory booster lite, and juice defense. Granted these apps aren't necessarily root required, they do help manage your phone much easier.

Kahroo

Android in training
Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Yup I have Apps2SD Free it is very useful. Well IDK about Juice defender. It would shut off my 3G and I use that a lot. Since not having any internet at my house this is my only source of internet.

Desmock

Banned
Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
You can set the profile up to turn off 3g only when not in use. If you flashed a rom that lets you over clock, set cpu allows you to save battery power as well by under clocking when the screen is off, much like juice defense and 3g. The only time 3g should be on is when you are using the phone, other wise it just kills battery life.