Rooting and Move2SD = Love!!!

zires

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Hey,

Yesterday I rooted my Optimus V and today I installed Move2SD. I couldn't believe that Move2SD enabled me to move all of my apps to SD card. It even allows for apps to be installed on my sd card too!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Hey,

Yesterday I rooted my Optimus V and today I installed Move2SD. I couldn't believe that Move2SD enabled me to move all of my apps to SD card. It even allows for apps to be installed on my sd card too!

apps moved to sd isnt such a great thing unless your phone has an obscenely small amount of onboard memory. Moving apps to your sd card usually breaks any ability to use their widgets. Also if it is a high performing app like a game or such there will be a reduction of speed in the application. For more most phones this is a useless feature.

Mirth

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
apps moved to sd isnt such a great thing unless your phone has an obscenely small amount of onboard memory. Moving apps to your sd card usually breaks any ability to use their widgets. Also if it is a high performing app like a game or such there will be a reduction of speed in the application. For more most phones this is a useless feature.

You're in the Optimus V section. =D

Reactions: zires

zires

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Well I think what he means is that we do have an obscenely low amount of on board memory for apps. I am aware of the widget issues and have not moved anything that I shouldn't.

vee

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Tried move2sd a few times, it always breaks my phone to install apps and I have to reflash the rom. Once I start to move apps with it, I have trouble installin 8/10 apps that I try.

zires

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
So far so good. I only rooted. No custom rom. I can move everything using move2sd not only ones that are app2sd enabled.

ashton4life

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
On th aospCMod | AOSP 2.3.3 / CM7 (Gingerbread) [03/25/2011] ROM it comes with the option to move apps to SD. It seems to work good for me. You just have to be careful because some apps give you problems like Launchers and widgets, they need to stay on the phone. The only thing that's a bit fustrating is I have to wait about 30-40 seconds to let the Icons come up after a restart. Also I dont know if it is related but after I use the phone for while there is a delay of about 2-4 seconds for the screen rotation to work. It works fast after reboot but then slows down later. Anyone know anything about this?

psygn

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't have much room on my internal memory...

Is there an app that can intercept the download from the Marketplace and install directly to SD? Or an option somewhere?

I can't use Apps2SD since Android wants to install onto internal memory first before moving, and as I mentioned, I don't have enough room to install into internal.

ecarlson

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
What am I missing? I'm not rooted and using Apps2SD free edition. It seems to work just fine...
Sounds like you only have a few apps installed. I have over 100 installed, and even with App2SD, I have had to uninstall a bunch of apps already so I could install others. I'm planning to root so I can use one or more of the various methods for getting more space for apps. Link2SD is one of the main options I am considering.

ashton4life

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you only have a few apps installed. I have over 100 installed, and even with App2SD, I have had to uninstall a bunch of apps already so I could install others. I'm planning to root so I can use one or more of the various methods for getting more space for apps. Link2SD is one of the main options I am considering.

Honestly why on earth would you need so many apps? lol I have like 25 and I thought it was too much. I'll check out link2sd tonight.

ecarlson

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Honestly why on earth would you need so many apps? lol I have like 25 and I thought it was too much. I'll check out link2sd tonight.
You can see my app list on AppBrain: Ecarlson's Apps

Most of the apps are from the regular Market, but some are updates to the default apps, and some are the free daily apps from the Amazon App Market (any that show as paid apps were free from Amazon).

I have a lot of apps that are not on that list because they are waiting to be installed/reinstalled once I fix the phone's app space issue.