Wireless N connection speed?

Doanster#AC

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Tried searching, but no good threads popped up.

What kind of connection speeds are people getting to their routers? Not up/down speeds via Speedtest, etc., rather the link speed.

I'm on 3.2 and using a DLink DIR-655 that is set to N-mode only and WPA2-AES. The max I've ever gotten is 65Mbps and that's by standing right next to the router. I've never gotten it to connect anywhere near the 150Mbps+ for Wireless-N. I know that the bottleneck is the speed of the service, but normal link speeds for me anywhere else in the house average 15-25Mbps, sometimes all the way down to 9Mbps. :( This is verified by using both WiFi Analyzer as well as directly logging into my router once connected.

Just curious as to what link speeds people get with this tab, especially if close to WiFi-N speeds.
Thanks in advance.

Doanster#AC

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
As a comparo, my HP laptop routinely connects at 104Mbps. I wonder whether the Iconia is truly using WPA2/AES or not since you can't really configure it, rather just type in the password. If there is a way to configure it, please enlighten me. Thanks.

EnergyPlus

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok, dumb question, but how do you test the speed from your device to your router? I've always just looked at the Up/Down speeds as I figured we can only be as good as the weakest link.

Doanster#AC

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Two ways:
1. Log into your router, click on the Wireless tab and see all the currently connected clients. It should show you the link speeds for each.
2. Use the WiFi Analyzer app to manage connections. When you've connected to your network, click on the network name at the very top and it'll give you status info such as assigned IP as well as link speed.

Surprised there's only been one answer so far (and a WiFi G one at that!). Do the rest just use G as well or don't care I suppose? Buffering with YouTube gets quite annoying at times.

rrand

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi, i also have the dir 655 and an iconia a100. For some reason when i log into the router, no devices are showing under the wireless connections list. I downloaded wifi analyzer and it wasn't what i was expecting. It said about -51 dBm. Does.that make sense?

rrand

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok, for some reason the details are showing up under the router now. I'm connected with N at 65Mbps @ 100%.

Doanster#AC

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Yep. Width is set for auto. Since you, too, are getting only 65Mbps, we may be on to something here in that this tab, with the current s/w versions, cannot go above that. Now if someone else chimes in to report otherwise...

scarryman04

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Ok...I set up my other router that is N and I have it set to Mixed mode with auto channel on and my link speed is only at 58Mbps...I'm on 3.1, I haven't updated to 3.2 bc I don't want to lose root

Doanster#AC

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Interesting tidbit... I asked a friend who owns an Asus Transformer to check his link speed and low'n'behold, he tops out at 65Mbps as well. Must be a f/w or some other limitation with the wireless chip(s). Don't know which one is in either tab (whether Ralink, etc.), but it is clear this isn't a one-off issue.
I haven't tried ClearFi on the tab yet, but if the link speed to my router is not routinely strong, I prob shouldn't bother.