Kindle Fire Bricked!

goshioness

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I recently rooted my Kindle Fire, I installed "MetaMorph" and decided to unpack a theme for the background. I applied it to the kindle and rebooted it. Once it started trying to boot, it now freezes at the start up logo.

I've tried the method from xda-developers webpage about unbricking.
Here is link to webpage: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1356257
I get up to "//Step 3: reboot into fastboot"
and all it shows me is <waiting for device> and it sits there forever.

How can I somehow wipe the drive and go to factory defaults? If there's anyway to get passed the boot logo that would be perfectly fine. Please help :)

Last edited:

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
While you are waiting for device try rebooting the KF. Also try taking ot the USB cable and reinserting while waiting for the device. You can also try this method:
fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 0x4000
fastbooot -i 0x1949 reboot
Check out this thread for some more info:
Towards enabling fastboot - xda-developers

This migt help also:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1355267

I had the same issue after messing with the theme/wallpaper. You probably screwed up the /system/framework/framework-res.apk. Mine had the wrong permissions.

Last edited:

danieldr24

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Hello all. I don't know if my kindle fire is "bricked or not". Today i tried to install the TWRP recovery which o saw in a video tutorial. It started to go through the motions. All of a sudden when my kindle restarted in the FAMOUS yellow triangle it asked me to "press power for recovery", so i then pressed the button and now im stuck. My kindle will go off and on but it wont do anything else but show the Yellow triangle and the words on the bottom- "press the power button for recovery" So if anyone could help me get this out of this, i will be very happy. If not will someone just let me know. Thank you very much for you time.
Also please email me at xcalakdaniel@aol.com.

danieldr24

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
PS... My computer does not recognize my kindle fire anymore, it states that windows shutdown the USB because it was reporting problems!

GBH2

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Hello all. I don't know if my kindle fire is "bricked or not". Today i tried to install the TWRP recovery which o saw in a video tutorial. It started to go through the motions. All of a sudden when my kindle restarted in the FAMOUS yellow triangle it asked me to "press power for recovery", so i then pressed the button and now im stuck. My kindle will go off and on but it wont do anything else but show the Yellow triangle and the words on the bottom- "press the power button for recovery" So if anyone could help me get this out of this, i will be very happy. If not will someone just let me know. Thank you very much for you time.
Also please email me at xcalakdaniel@aol.com.
Don't worry - you are not "bricked". You are stuck in Fastboot mode. You need to install (or Re-install) the right drivers for the Kindle on your computer and then change the Boot mode to Regular boot mode.

If you read through the first post in the link below it will explain how to fix it.

Complete Video Guide and troubleshooting for root,market,recovery,etc... - xda-developers

snfo

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to bump this month-old thread, but I'm running out of ideas here.

I am in the exact same predicament as the fellow named "danieldr24" above. Only the main difference here is that I use Linux on the desktop, Debian Squeeze to be exact.

I had just finished installing BurritoRoot3, Superuser, and the `su' and `busybox' executables successfully and proceeded to run:

Code:
adb shell idme bootmode 4002
Code:
adb reboot

The Kindle Fire rebooted into the FireFireFire screen (with the yellow triangle), I then ran:

Code:
fastboot -i 0x1949 boot twrp-blaze-2.0.0RC0.img

And all I get is fastboot's
Code:
< waiting for device >
message in the shell, and nothing on the device. I have fastboot's Udev rules all setup (ADB's too). I can't get access to ADB or fastboot so I'm truly vexed. Rebooting just sends me right back.

I've used *nix for a few years now (that's exclusively, so no Windows machines available) and hacked around on Android (sholes, vivow, gt-p7510) for just about as long, and now this Kindle Fire throws me my first true scare of a brick, lol.

So please, does anyone with some pretty good Linux knowledge have any pointers to throw my way? I'm really stuck here. Thanks.

snfo

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Phew... got it. For anyone else that ever runs into this on Linux, I added the Udev rules mentioned in this post (about 2 years ago), and ran:

Code:
sudo service udev reload

instead of `reload udev' mentioned in that post. I unplugged/re-plugged the USB cable, opened a new shell, and ran the fastboot command again. When it hung at "< waiting for device >", I powered off, and powered back on and fastboot began to work (thankfully).

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Phew... got it. For anyone else that ever runs into this on Linux, I added the Udev rules mentioned in this post (about 2 years ago), and ran:

Code:
sudo service udev reload

instead of `reload udev' mentioned in that post. I unplugged/re-plugged the USB cable, opened a new shell, and ran the fastboot command again. When it hung at "< waiting for device >", I powered off, and powered back on and fastboot began to work (thankfully).

Glad to hear you got it working, might have saved you a little bit of headaches had a seen this sooner; but than you wouldn't have found those udev rules. You also could have gotten around <waiting for device> by running fastboot in sudo/root (obviously this is useless info now but I thought I would mention it for general knowledge)