If you find yourself plagued with annoying pop-up ads, here are several steps to take in getting rid of these annoying pests.

"Why am I getting these for?" you may ask. Your phone has been infested with adware. The most common way of getting adware is by downloading \ installing non trusted apps/files to your device that has the adware hidden in them.

First, let's boot into safe mode. This will deactivate all third-party apps installed on your device. If the pop up(s) have stopped you know a third-party app is the source. If you can find the responsible app you will not have to reset your device.

Now start by making a list of all recent downloads you made. Starting with the most recent, uninstall apps one by one until the pop ups stop. Note which one took away the pop ups. That way you can avoid it in the future and if possible report the app/download as spam/adware.

Wipe system cache via recovery afterwards.

Secondly, if you have uninstalled all user apps and you still get pop ups, it's time to wipe all app cache. (Setting>System>Storage) Turn device off, boot into recovery and wipe system cache.

Finally, if neither of the above worked, you will need to preform a factory data reset. Before you do so, backup only the most important things you need. Go to settings>back up and reset>Uncheck automatic restore.

Preform the FDR. Upon setting your device back up, make sure not to restore via your Google account. Select set up as New Device.

NOTE: Restoring your device via Google backup can infact restore the very files that are causing you problems.

Root users, you may need to reflash back to stock. Since root permission allows system files to be altered, a simple FDR may not get rid of the adware.
    01-07-2016 04:03 AM
    Another suggestion is to boot into safe mode if it can. That can eliminate if it is a 3rd party app.

Good write up
    01-09-2016 08:42 AM
    Here's something I encountered recently, on an iPhone.

Yes, of course I'll tell you my account details and password.
    01-09-2016 02:21 PM
    Another suggestion is to boot into safe mode if it can. That can eliminate if it is a 3rd party app.

Good write up
    Thanks, updated thread. Forgot about mentioning safe mode.
    01-18-2016 04:22 AM
    Crikey! Might as well just give them your passport and banking details... the scary thing is that a lot of ppl actually do complete those!!!
    05-06-2016 09:38 PM
    how do you boot in safe mode??
    08-19-2016 08:56 AM
    While this information is good, when you get the app that caused it, if the problem persists (as was the case for me only when clicking links within the facebook app) need to go into your facebook profile on a computer, click on your home page, then on the left side go down to apps and click "more" you'll see the whole list of legitimate apps that have access to your profile, and in my case, a few suspect ones with very generic and vague names, remove them. The problem has gone away for me so far. Good luck.
    MaddiCat likes this.
    08-19-2016 07:46 PM
    after clicking "more" you will have to click settings, then show all... sorry I missed a couple steps.
    08-19-2016 07:57 PM
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, but . . . . . . Does everyone know how to boot their device in 'Safe Mode'? I certainly don't :o)
    Regards
    Tarrystone
    11-14-2016 05:23 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! On most Android devices, while powered on, press and hold Power until the Power Off menu appears. Press and hold the Power Off selection until the Safe Mode prompt appears. Tap OK.

However, certain phones have a different procedure, like Samsung. You can typically search for the correct procedure on the web by Googling "[your phone] Safe Mode."
    11-19-2016 02:07 AM
    Is it possible to be infected by visiting a website (e.g. Tumblr, Facebook...)?
    02-07-2017 01:31 PM
    02-08-2017 01:30 PM
    Is it possible to be infected by visiting a website (e.g. Tumblr, Facebook...)?
    See response in your other thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ask...nk-chrome.html
    sfoLAX likes this.
    02-09-2017 11:32 PM
    Very much obliged.
    Some good points there.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    02-10-2017 03:09 PM
    A possible new ploy, where clicking on Close in a pop-up may have the same effect as clicking on OK. Of course, I haven't tried it.
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=808190
    06-14-2017 05:56 AM