01-08-2022 12:04 AM
33 12
tools
    Since installing the latest update on 12/4, the display flashes periodically like it's doing a refresh. If it happens while I'm typing a text it sometimes hides the keyboard and I have to pull it back up to finish typing. It's very annoying to say the least. Any ideas?
    12-13-2021 09:46 PM
    Try wiping the cache partition: https://www.t-mobile.com/support/dev...ng-galaxy-s10e
    12-13-2021 10:29 PM
    Your using a 3rd party launcher? Do you have animation off in developer settings?
    12-13-2021 10:34 PM
    Thanks for the tip but that didn't fix it.
    12-14-2021 12:00 PM
    Your using a 3rd party launcher? Do you have animation off in developer settings?
    Don't know what you mean. I'm using the texting app that came preinstalled on the phone.
    12-14-2021 12:02 PM
    The launcher is the app that controls how the homescreen interface looks. He was asking if you installed a 3rd party launcher like Nova, but if you're not sure what a launcher is, then you most likely are just using the stock One UI launcher from Samsung.

Developer Options can be activated by going to Settings>About Phone and tapping Build Number 7 times. Have you ever done that?
    12-14-2021 12:07 PM
    Don't know what you mean. I'm using the texting app that came preinstalled on the phone.
    It would be a launcher such as Nova launcher but since you didn't understand im assuming your on the stock launcher.
    12-14-2021 12:08 PM
    The launcher is the app that controls how the homescreen interface looks. He was asking if you installed a 3rd party launcher like Nova, but if you're not sure what a launcher is, then you most likely are just using the stock One UI launcher from Samsung.

Developer Options can be activated by going to Settings>About Phone and tapping Build Number 7 times. Have you ever done that?
    I just did that and it told me that Developer Mode is now turned on. Now what?
    12-14-2021 12:19 PM
    mustang7757 asked about Developer Options because sometimes if users change the Animation Speed, that can cause various issues to occur. If you never adjusted it, then it's not the cause of your problem.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    12-14-2021 12:43 PM
    mustang7757 asked about Developer Options because sometimes if users change the Animation Speed, that can cause various issues to occur. If you never adjusted it, then it's not the cause of your problem.
    OK thanks. I turned Developer Mode back off. Any other suggestions? Nobody else has this problem? I know it started after I installed the latest update to Android 11.
    12-14-2021 12:57 PM
    I recall seeing this issue discussed some time ago on another phone as well -- let me see if I can find it. In the meantime, see if it also happens in Safe Mode: https://www.t-mobile.com/support/dev...ng-galaxy-s10e

EDIT: Here it is: https://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ml#post7015448
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-14-2021 01:14 PM
    Yes i agree with safe mode
    That mode just press power button until power off is displayed then long press power off until it says safe mode then tap on that
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-14-2021 01:59 PM
    I recall seeing this issue discussed some time ago on another phone as well -- let me see if I can find it. In the meantime, see if it also happens in Safe Mode: https://www.t-mobile.com/support/dev...ng-galaxy-s10e

EDIT: Here it is: https://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ml#post7015448
    Thanks for the suggestions. It appears that it does NOT happen in Safe Mode. Turning off "appear on top" in the messaging app has no effect, probably because I think I've seen it flash on other screens as well.
    12-15-2021 05:55 PM
    If it doesn't happen in Safe Mode, that suggests some other app that has the ability to Appear On Top is causing the glitch. See what else has that ability, and try toggling it off app by app to see if that fixes it.
    12-15-2021 07:24 PM
    If it doesn't happen in Safe Mode, that suggests some other app that has the ability to Appear On Top is causing the glitch. See what else has that ability, and try toggling it off app by app to see if that fixes it.
    That's gonna take a while, but I'll do it and report back. Thanks.
    12-15-2021 10:38 PM
    OK, "Appear On Top" is turned off for all apps and it still flashes. Any other suggestions? I wish there was a way to rollback an update, because I have no doubt that would fix it.
    12-18-2021 10:25 AM
    Hmm, this is getting trickier. It must still be some 3rd party app. The flashing presumably doesn't have to do with the Appear on Top ability. Unfortunately, this means you'll probably have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem goes away.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-18-2021 11:32 AM
    Uninstall apps one by one until it goes away, not fun but to trace this it needs to be done .
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-18-2021 11:45 AM
    Hmm, this is getting trickier. It must still be some 3rd party app. The flashing presumably doesn't have to do with the Appear on Top ability. Unfortunately, this means you'll probably have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem goes away.
    Ugh! I guess I'll just have to live with it, like I do with not being notified when I get a new text. I'm really starting to hate this *@#% phone! The glitches just keep piling up. Anyway, thanks for giving it your best shot and trying to help me.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    12-18-2021 11:49 AM
    If I see another thread with a similar issue (and hopefully a solution), I'll let you know!
    12-18-2021 11:53 AM
    If I see another thread with a similar issue (and hopefully a solution), I'll let you know!
    You're awesome! Thank you.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    12-18-2021 01:31 PM
    Ugh! I guess I'll just have to live with it, like I do with not being notified when I get a new text. I'm really starting to hate this *@#% phone! The glitches just keep piling up. Anyway, thanks for giving it your best shot and trying to help me.
    Unfortunately a lot of times it's not the phone but the third party apps you add to it that cause the problem. Since it's fine in safe mode it's a poorly coded (which a LOT of them are) app that you've added. Blaming the phone isn't the answer... limiting third party apps to what you really only need, and making sure they're quality apps from a serious developer with a solid reputation helps. At this stage you can live with the growing problems, find the problem apps and remove them, or factory reset and extremely limit what apps you install.

I quit using third party apps a long time ago because the hassles FAR outweighed the benefits for me, and the play store sucks at keeping crap/infected apps out. And I haven't had any major issues of any kind since... it's been awesome. But that's just me
    B. Diddy likes this.
    12-19-2021 03:16 AM
    Unfortunately a lot of times it's not the phone but the third party apps you add to it that cause the problem. Since it's fine in safe mode it's a poorly coded (which a LOT of them are) app that you've added. Blaming the phone isn't the answer... limiting third party apps to what you really only need, and making sure they're quality apps from a serious developer with a solid reputation helps.
    Thanks and I totally agree. I don't have any apps that I don't need (except the ton of useless Samsung apps that came preinstalled on the phone and I can't get rid of), but what gripes me is that I haven't installed any apps in quite a while and this issue just showed up right after I installed the latest update to Android 11.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    12-20-2021 03:16 PM
    Thanks and I totally agree. I don't have any apps that I don't need (except the ton of useless Samsung apps that came preinstalled on the phone and I can't get rid of), but what gripes me is that I haven't installed any apps in quite a while and this issue just showed up right after I installed the latest update to Android 11.
    It could be a conflict with an app and Android 11. Have you already tried wiping your cache partition in recovery mode?

Also sometimes an OS upgrade will unfortunately need a factory reset to work properly. I just reset my pixel after getting 12, and was shocked at how much better it ran. I did it to try and fix a caller ID announcement issue, but it fixed a boot up problem my phone was having that I just ignored, made the live transcribe in Visual Voicemail work instantly, made the phone boot up quicker, made it snappier overall, and lots of other little things I didn't even know needed fixing
    12-21-2021 06:03 AM
    It could be a conflict with an app and Android 11. Have you already tried wiping your cache partition in recovery mode?

Also sometimes an OS upgrade will unfortunately need a factory reset to work properly. I just reset my pixel after getting 12, and was shocked at how much better it ran. I did it to try and fix a caller ID announcement issue, but it fixed a boot up problem my phone was having that I just ignored, made the live transcribe in Visual Voicemail work instantly, made the phone boot up quicker, made it snappier overall, and lots of other little things I didn't even know needed fixing
    I've been considering doing a factory reset. I guess I'll give it a shot and see what happens. BTW that wasn't an upgrade to Android 11 that I did when the issue started. I was already on 11, it was just an update. And yes I have wiped the cache. Thanks.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    12-21-2021 04:25 PM
33 12