Can Anyone Explain ICS to me please!!

bballben

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
what will be the google integration in ICS? I love google products and also will there be any type of Google Chrome browser on phones or tablets? thanks!

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Why? why? such a silly name. Did someones kid come up with the name ice cream sandwich. androidlayer would sound better

The names are development code names. The names are based on desserts and are released alphabetically. Google started the convention with Cupcake.

Cupcake (v1.5)
Donut (v1.6)
Eclair (v2.0 - 2.1)
Froyo (Frozen Yogurt) (v2.2)
Gingerbread (v2.3 - 2.4+)
Honeycomb (v3.0 - 3.2+)
Ice Cream Sandwich (v4.0)

engineer2001

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I hope they use Jellyroll or Jellybean for the next one. Actually, I wish they would kind of settle on one flavor for a while, now that ICS is supposed to support both tablets and handsets. That way, they could add features to ICS, and the phones we buy may actually get updates because they already support ICS.

This OS race over the past year (devices on sale with Eclair, then Froyo, and then Gingerbread) has been taxing on the nerves, especially since I am now way behind with Froyo on my Droid Incredible. It's discouraging to potential buyers when they know a new OS is coming and the phones out now probably won't ever get the new OS or will get it much later.

mastawyrm

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I hope they use Jellyroll or Jellybean for the next one. Actually, I wish they would kind of settle on one flavor for a while, now that ICS is supposed to support both tablets and handsets. That way, they could add features to ICS, and the phones we buy may actually get updates because they already support ICS.

This OS race over the past year (devices on sale with Eclair, then Froyo, and then Gingerbread) has been taxing on the nerves, especially since I am now way behind with Froyo on my Droid Incredible. It's discouraging to potential buyers when they know a new OS is coming and the phones out now probably won't ever get the new OS or will get it much later.
Why do you still have Froyo? There are plenty of good Gingerbread roms for the DINC, both vanilla and sense.

projektorboy

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site

dlu_1999

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Why do you still have Froyo? There are plenty of good Gingerbread roms for the DINC, both vanilla and sense.

I still have Froyo on my DX because it allows me to use that program that shall not be named which allows me to use my wifi xoom anywhere with my phone. From what I was able to gather and try, all the GB remedies had been blocked by Big Red. When I had GB on it, everyone I tried failed.....and yes I rooted GB.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Honestly I think the ice cream sandwich name was originally supposed to be just ice cream, but then they realized that they already had a statue that looked like ice cream with froyo. So they added sandwich to differentiate it. Honestly I think thats it. Nothing more complex.

GlueFactoryBJJ

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Honestly I think the ice cream sandwich name was originally supposed to be just ice cream, but then they realized that they already had a statue that looked like ice cream with froyo. So they added sandwich to differentiate it. Honestly I think thats it. Nothing more complex.

That and the fact that it is supposed to unify (cram) phones and tablets into a single OS. An OS "sandwiched" between phones and tablets...

Scott

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
ICS is bringing tablets and phones back to one unified UI, kinda like a sandwich. They needed a I, they were already bringing these together, why not go with a sandwich name to signify the joining of the 2? That's the way I see it, at least.

lionsson

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
ICS is bringing tablets and phones back to one unified UI, kinda like a sandwich. They needed a I, they were already bringintg these together, why not go with a sandwich name to signify the joining of the 2? That's the way I see it, at least.
Your right, but not to bring a unified UI its more too bring a unified development platform. Manufacturers will still be able too skin and/or add features, android will remain the underline platform the only reason honeycomb tablets are similar is because they did not have time to skin a UI

Last edited: