ICS "starred" contacts work-around?

zendog13

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
So the Brainiacs that developed ICS decided that we need to see the profile pix of our "starred" contacts.

While this feature might be useful were I a toddler or an Alzheimer's patient, being that I'm somewhere in-between this demographic range, I have no use for this needless feature (particularly since most of my contacts have no profile pix, so all I have are these generic silhouettes).

Since this "people" view takes up WAY more space than a "list" view, the screen is cluttered and takes FAR longer to scroll to find the contact.

Even worse, GONE is the "swipe" function that allows you to either call or text that individual with one quick motion (though you can still do that with the main contact list). It now takes at least 2 steps to do what used to take just one.

Given that the very purpose of this device is to foster connectivity between people, this feature is counter-productive.

Since trying to communicate with Google is like trying to empty the ocean with a tea spoon, has anyone figured out a work-around to this nightmare?

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
i guess it depends on ur phone since u claim it takes just as long to find someone now.....

how about un-starring the people to get their big boxed version removed?

im using gnex, so underneath my favs, it shows frequently called which makes it easier.

zendog13

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
That's exactly what I've done, but it's a sad-ass work-around.

Unfortunately, there are a number of folks that I don't call frequently enough for them to get on that list, but I still want to be able to find them quicker than searching or scrolling thru the 2000+ contacts.

Plain and simple, this is a STUPID feature and Google/Android ought to give us the flexibility to use a list view if we want.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
That's exactly what I've done, but it's a sad-ass work-around.

Unfortunately, there are a number of folks that I don't call frequently enough for them to get on that list, but I still want to be able to find them quicker than searching or scrolling thru the 2000+ contacts.

Plain and simple, this is a STUPID feature and Google/Android ought to give us the flexibility to use a list view if we want.
the problem is that you have 2000 contact... looking for a person with that many contact is not easy even if they make it a list.. Dont you use search in the contacts app?? searching contact is easier than scrolling through long list..

even if google made it list view, two line of contact takes up same space as thumbnail view with 2 contact side by side. You will end up using same space. only very little space saved

star contact which is not in frequent contact list and remove star which is in frequent caller list.

zendog13

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your comments on my contact storage and usage, however I find your observations as useless as a bicycle for a fish.

Forgive me for being connected. I'm a 50-year-old executive that needs to maintain frequent contact with at least 30+ employees and colleagues.

Speed is off the essence and I am not impressed by shiny objects like some adolescent phone freak.

And your calculation of screen space is way off. The profile picture format (2 contacts side by side) takes up the space of at least 3 or 4 contacts in list view. So, my screen currently will show only 6 contacts in profile view but the same space would hold at least 9 - 15 in list view. Maybe not a big deal to you, but my time is valuable. The ICS update is wasting more of it.

Go Android!

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your comments on my contact storage and usage, however I find your observations as useless as a bicycle for a fish.

Forgive me for being connected. I'm a 50-year-old executive that needs to maintain frequent contact with at least 30+ employees and colleagues.

Speed is off the essence and I am not impressed by shiny objects like some adolescent phone freak.

And your calculation of screen space is way off. The profile picture format (2 contacts side by side) takes up the space of at least 3 or 4 contacts in list view. So, my screen currently will show only 6 contacts in profile view but the same space would hold at least 9 - 15 in list view. Maybe not a big deal to you, but my time is valuable. The ICS update is wasting more of it.

Well, if you're not impressed by shiny objects or not a phone freak, may I suggest a dumbphone. Forget Android and just press two numbers (speed dial) to call someone. Problem solved.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site

zendog13

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Finally, a valid suggestion rather than *cough* know-it-all douchebags who reveal their ignorance with the narrow scope of their perspective... ahem.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site